Nonstop Static Hissing Sound — Doctor Says Nothing to Be Done for It

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by wlafmdc, Dec 23, 2019.

1. wlafmdc

wlafmdc Member

Tinnitus Since:
      5 years
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud concert
      Hello, I am a new to Tinnitus Talk but not new to tinnitus. I have been dealing with my version of tinnitus for about 5 years.

My version is more of a nonstop hissing sound. I downloaded the app to see if I could identify my type. I adjusted everything in about every possible way imaginable but I was unable to match my experience.

My constant noise is more similar to frying eggs, radio static or water rushing (white noise). Throughout the normal course of a day, I am able to ignore or mask it with daily life. At night, when I am trying to get to sleep, it is extremely annoying and loud. I often fall asleep with the tv on, music or a meditation app.

I have never had a professional medical evaluation. I have mentioned it to my family doctor during my annual physical. He just says it's tinnitus, there is nothing we can do for it. I have forgotten and given up on what it is like to be in a truly quiet place.

Am I in the right crowd, or am I looking for a different group?

2. GregCA
      Jaded

GregCA Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otosclerosis
      • Like Like x 1
    3. JohnFox

JohnFox Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown. Sudden loss of 100% hearing R ear with Tinnitus
      Yep, that's me too. However, I do think we maybe have slightly different versions. My tinnitus volume ramps down a bit when I am in very quiet environment like a quiet bedroom. Any noise, even mild noise causes my tinnitus to spike up almost as if its directly connected to the outside noise. I guess you might call this "reactive Tinnitus". It's a static, metalic, hissing noise, that when bad sounds sorta like an idling jet engine. It never ever goes away. Had it for a year now. Came on suddenly when I suddenly lost all hearing in my right ear. ENT has no idea what caused it. However, I suspect that it was a delayed reaction to a very traumatic motorcycle accident I had about 7 weeks prior.

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    4. alex1975

alex1975 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      January 2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Probably sound induced
      If you’ve only been to your GP, perhaps a visit to an audiologist or ENT might be worth it just in case they notice something your GP didn’t. Also, doing a hearing test would be helpful to see if perhaps you have any hearing loss, which more than likely you do, even if just a little.

5. Tybs

Tybs Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Fall from stairs
      If it's caused by hearing loss, then he's correct (at least for now). Is it the only sound you hear? Can you influence it with movement/posture?

• Like Like x 1
    6. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      wlafmdc

wlafmdc Member

Tinnitus Since:
      5 years
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud concert
      Hello, sorry for my late response. With the holidays and life, I have been away for a while. Posture/movement does not affect on my tinnitus. Thank you all for the ideas and responses.

7. Mister Muso
      No Mood

Mister Muso Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2011 / April 2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music
      That's one of my main tones, but when spiked it solidifies into a more solid, less reactive ringing. Anyone else get that? It's easier to mask with cricket sounds or similar if I play them loudly enough, but playing anything when it's hissing can just raise the volume of my tinnitus without helping it.

8. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      wlafmdc

wlafmdc Member

Tinnitus Since:
      5 years
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud concert
      I believe mine was caused by an extremely loud Motley Crue concert. Wouldn't have been my first choice but I agreed to go with my wife and her friends. Our seats were close to the stage, off to the side and too close to the huge speakers. For a few days after the concert, my ears felt as if they were plugged and hissing. The plugged sensation eventually went away but the tinnitus remained. I would have gladly taken a cheap souvenir concert t-shirt instead.

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1