Not Sure About Masking/Sound Enrichment at Night

Discussion in 'Support' started by Newloud, Jan 26, 2017.

1. Newloud

Newloud Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      music, noise, stress, anxiety
      So my ENT prescribed me a bunch of sound therapy equipment - a Sound Oasis S-5000 and a pillow with loudspeakers. They arrived in the mail the other day. Whereas I don't think I'll be using the pillow yet, it's rather rubbish to be honest, the S-5000 is a nice piece of kit. But I'm not sure how to go about it.

I've read that you should use background noise all the time to habituate. But last night, my T was down to a very manageable level, and I wasn't freaking out about it. I haven't found a noise I like yet, as I find most of them too trebly, fluctuating or both. "Pink noise" on an Android app I've found to be very soothing, however.
      Anyway, I put on a running water type noise and fall asleep, only to wake up half an hour later to find my T having increased in volume. I know enough not to freak out at this point, but it sure was annoying. Could have been one of my better nights. Of course, I can't be sure the noise caused the increase, either, it could've happened anyway. I put the volume lower than my T as prescribed.

Question is - when my evening T is at a level I'm "fine" with, should I still be masking?

2. Michael Leigh

Michael Leigh Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      @Newloud

I believe anyone that has tinnitus even at low volume should always use sound enrichment at night. This is different from masking which is not recommended.

If you got an Oasis S5000 sound machine for free, then you are very fortunate because it is an expensive unit and one of the best sound machines. Tinnitus should never be masked. By this I mean: covered up so it can't be heard. Please read the post below and click on the links to read articles I've written on tinnitus.
      Best of luck
      Michael

Should I mask my tinnitus?

Tinnitus is a complex condition and if hyperacusis (sensitivity to sound) is present it is even more. Many newbies have difficulty coping with tinnitus and understandably, getting rid of this constant intruder, that has suddenly invaded their life becomes paramount on their mind. In an attempt to do this, they will usually try every means possible to distract themselves from the tinnitus which will include masking it completely with another sound so that it can’t be heard.

However, tinnitus is quite resilient, any attempts to mask it completely are usually unsuccessful. As soon as the masking sound is removed or stopped temporarily, the brain will immediately focus back on it and often, it appears to be louder and more intrusive. This causes stress especially for someone new to tinnitus. For anyone that doesn’t know, the more stressed we are the tinnitus becomes more intrusive, and the louder the tinnitus is the more stressed we are. It can become a vicious circle.

Anyone that is seasoned to tinnitus and has habituated, knows that trying to mask it completely so that it can’t be heard is not achievable. A much better way and preferred method that Hearing Therapists advise tinnitus patients, is to use sound enrichment. One can use music or nature sounds from a sound machine and set the volume slightly below the tinnitus. By doing this, the brain over time will learn to no longer see the tinnitus as a threat and gradually push the noise further into the background giving it less importance, which is called habituation.

In-ear or BTE (behind the ear) white noise generators can also be used as part of TRT. They do a similar thing. By setting the volume slightly below the tinnitus, over time the brain habituates to the white noise and gradually pushes the tinnitus further into the background.

I believe anyone that has tinnitus, especially when it was caused by loud noise exposure, it is not a good idea to use headphones, even at low volume to play music or white noise for sound enrichment.

Sound Machines

I have recently been asked about the benefits of using a sound machine after someone read my post on another thread, please find it below.

Sound Oasis makes the best sound machines in my opinion and they are specifically designed for people with tinnitus although anyone will benefit using one. The quality of their digital sounds will be far superior to any homemade sounds that you compile if your intention is to use them for sound enrichment.

A sound machine can be used night and day but do their magic best when we are in deep sleep also known as REM. It supplies the brain and auditory system with sound enrichment. Over time, the tinnitus is pushed further into the background making it less intrusive and will make the path to habituation easier.

I have three Oasis models. The S-650 is very popular and the one I usually recommend people buy. It comes with a variety of sounds on two sound cards. Additional cards can be purchased. The S-850 travel, is more expensive and compact. It has 18 on-board digital sounds and doesn’t use cards. Some people might be bothered by the clock’s blue backlight at night-time. It dims but cannot be turned completely off; the S650 backlight can be set to switch off automatically.

My S-3000 deluxe, was bought over the Internet but has been replaced by the S-5000. Both are similar but have different colours. Silver & black. These models are much larger and sophisticated than the others and can only be mains operated. They use a three-speaker system, that has a subwoofer for increased depth and definition to the sound. According to Oasis, over 140 on-board sound combinations are possible. They have FM/AM radio and an external sound source can be selected via the auxiliary input. There are a host of other features.

The purpose of using a sound machine is to have it playing in the background without drawing attention to itself unlike a radio. For this reason, music mustn’t be used at night for sound enrichment, as it will draw the Brain’s attention and delay habituation.

In my opinion and the advice of Professor Pawel Jastreboff, developer of TRT. Sound enrichment particularly at night should be used by anyone that has intrusive tinnitus. I would go as far to say, it is imperative to do so if you want to help yourself. Over time you will get used to having sound around you both during the day and night. I find it strange to be in a very quiet room now having used a sound machine for so long.

Michael

PS: Many people have contacted me after they have habituated to their T and stopped using sound enrichment at night, only to find their tinnitus becoming intrusive again. The rule of thumb: avoid quiet rooms and surroundings especially at night by using a sound machine.

https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/tinnitus-a-personal-view.18668/

https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/hyperacusis-as-i-see-it.19174/

• Like Like x 2
      • Helpful Helpful x 1
    3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Newloud

Newloud Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Sorry about being unclear, I didn't mean "masking" as in drowning T in noise, but playing background sounds. I just don't see how sound enrichment when I'm sort of fine with the volume of T would do me much good. I get the logic when it's bothersome, but at my stage of T (worsened three weeks back) I also see the value in resting my auditory system. I view it sort of like a sprained ankle at this point. Also, right now the most important thing of all is to get a couple of nights of good sleep, which I haven't had in more than a month.

I was never any good at sleeping with noise. I can't share a hotel room because I can't stand the sound of another person breathing, let alone snoring. In for a challenge there, I guess.

4. Michael Leigh

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      If you want to get yourself better and stay that way then I advise you to use sound enrichment at night. Sound enrichment should be played at a low level. It works when you are asleep, it is not meant to help a person to sleep. Anything new that we bring into our life takes time to get used to.

Take your time and read my two posts. I also advise you to read my two articles by clicking on the links above. Tinnitus, A Personal View and Hyperacusis, as I see it. Tinnitus is not a quick fix. Although your tinnitus might be low at the moment or at certain periods, things could change fast! If you return to using headphones or visiting venues (clubs etc) where music is played loud you are putting yourself at risk of making your tinnitus worse permanently. Sorry to sound so sobering.

Read the information above, it is based on years of experience and I advise you to follow it and help save yourself a lot of misery. Also, listen to some of the valuable information other members have posted in the forum. Skimming through the information I have written you are not going to help yourself long term. The choice is yours.
      Michael

• Like Like x 1
    5. LukeYoung
      Frantic

LukeYoung Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      A loud Concert - Noise Exposure
      You can always mask slightly lower than your T level, most people suggest that anyway..

If I'm having a loud night i put on some rain sounds on a timer, just to help me to sleep, my ears can rest once I've passed out :D

I don't think I'd use a pillow.. to close to the ear.. in my opinion..

But I guess at low recommended levels it shouldn't do any damage so i don't know

6. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Newloud

Newloud Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Thanks for the advice, not at all too sobering. Though I think at the moment I'm more at risk of becoming too careful and anxious.

The problem is, I don't like the sounds. Or, I find them soothing in the morning, but at night, they feel too sharp, and it feels like it's rubbing my hearing against the grain. I'll definitely try to introduce sound enrichment in time, but here and now my main priority is falling asleep and staying asleep for more than 15 minutes, so perhaps I should go for "comfy" first and challenge myself later.

Perhaps I could set the unit to sneakily turn itself on in the middle of the night at a very low volume.

When you say enrichment should be "slightly below" T level, I guess that means as long as I can hear my T, I'm fine? At its worst, the S-5000 is uncapable of drowning out my T, but it can mask parts of it, depending of volume.

7. GregCA
      Jaded

GregCA Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otosclerosis
      So, with all of this data, why are you trying to play sound enrichment? What is your goal?

For many who use sound enrichment at night, it's to help them fall asleep, but you say yourself that it's counterproductive for you, and your T is at a level that you are "fine" with, so I'm unsure why you bother, unless you are using it as a longer term treatment.
      If that is the case, you need to know what you are doing because sound therapy for Tinnitus consists of very specific sounds needing to be played (I'm talking about sound therapies that have a record of published studies with positive outcomes, not hearsay or "somebody mentioned this on a forum").

• Agree Agree x 1
    8. linearb
      Psychedelic

linearb Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

beliefs are makyo and reality ignores them
      Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      sleeping with sound on generally makes my T worse. Sleeping with earplugs in generally makes it better. Your mileage may vary

9. LukeYoung
      Frantic

LukeYoung Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      A loud Concert - Noise Exposure
      If you don't need it, and can put up with it for sleep, don't bother.

I've grown to sleep with just a fan. (Because I always have even before T) And that masks it enough.

The goal to having the sounds slightly lower then T is to train the brain to focus on other sounds even if they aren't as loud. So that way T still may be there, but you don't notice as much.

10. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Newloud

Newloud Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      It's just that I got the impression that I definitely should be doing it without exception, that it's a vital step to getting better. But it doesn't quite feel right for me, and I'm confused. My goal is to get better, of course. Habituate and preferably lessen the volume (which I guess is two sides of the same coin). Yeah, and sleep all through the night again. Nowadays I wake up every two hours if I even fall asleep.

Last night I managed to fall asleep with the S-5000 set to ocean surf, but awoke two hours later with T louder than it's been for weeks. Is it possible that sound enrichment makes it worse before it gets better? Perhaps I should wait until it (hopefully) stabilizes.

11. GregCA
      Jaded

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otosclerosis
      I don't think there is any consensus about this. If it doesn't feel right to you and your T spikes because of it, I'm not sure why you'd want to do it, especially since your are reasonably comfortable handling your T without any sound enrichment.

In spite of having severe T, I find I can sleep better without any artificial noise, but everyone is different, and this may change with time too.

12. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Newloud

Newloud Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Yeah, I'm thinking enrichment might be something to consider when it's (hopefully) gotten more stable.

13. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Newloud

Newloud Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Not that I'm too comfortable, though the worst panic has settled, I'm hardly sleeping. But I don't feel enrichment is doing me any good at the moment, and was wondering if I should do it anyway, that it would be better in the long run. But I think I have enough to allow myself to go with what feels right at the moment. Thanks.

14. david c

david c Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2012
      My advice is to go with what feels right for you - if you feel that sound enrichment isn't helping your tinnitus and may actually be making it worse then I wouldn't use it - even if some apparent "tinnitus know-alls" think that they have all the answers and that you should do exactly what they tell you!

• Agree Agree x 1
    15. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Newloud

Newloud Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I realized last night that I've been able to hear my hearbeat in a silent room for as long as I can remember. Maybe that's my natural sound enrichment and I therefore don't need gadgets.

16. Jen10

Jen10 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/19/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear trauma
      Plz help! My T has been acting up. Something's different. Sound enrichment isn't working like it used to. I'm very worried cause I need sound enrichment to survive. I've barely sleep if at all. I'm in a bad spot.

Any tips Michael?

17. Michael Leigh

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      HI @Jen10

You haven't mentioned what caused your tinnitus other than ear trauma? Please explain what exactly this is, thank you. If you mean that your tinnitus was caused by "exposure to loud noise" typically headphone use or other forms of noise exposure then some of my advice you might find helpful.

I have read your first post to this forum and will paste a segment of it below. I want to comment on it and hope you consider my suggestions.

I refuse to go on pharmaceutical medication. The side effects are horrible. To me it's not worth it even though I am suffering immensely

If you refuse to take medication then I believe you risk making your situation worse not better. Please do not listen to scare stories about antidepressants making tinnitus worse because this is not always the case. Neither do these medications have to be taken long term. The truth of the matter is this:

When tinnitus becomes severe and intrusive the only way to treat it and to make it more manageable is with counselling, medication, sound therapy or relaxation therapy. Sometimes a combination of all four are required. Therefore, in order to reduce your stress and anxiety, I strongly advise that you explain to your GP/family doctor/ ENT doctor how the tinnitus is affecting you. If medication is advised in the form of an antidepressant, sleeping draft etc then my advice is to try them. I have written posts on the benefits of medication and other things for you to try that can be helpful. Please click on the links below and take your time to read all of the posts.

If your tinnitus was caused by headphones or another forum of noise exposure, then I advise that you don't use headphones even at low volume.

All the best
      Michael

https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/can-antidepressants-and-other-medications-help-tinnitus.18466/

https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/new-to-tinnitus-what-to-do.12558/

https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/tinnitus-a-personal-view.18668/

https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/hyperacusis-as-i-see-it.19174/

https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/is-positivity-important.23150/

https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/tinnitus-and-the-negative-mindset.23705/

https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/acquiring-a-positive-mindset.23969/

https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/the-ent-doctor-and-hearing-therapist.24047/

https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/can-tinnitus-counselling-help.22366/

https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/tinnitus-and-mental-health.21978/

https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/inspiration.22894/

https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/can-tinnitus-counselling-help.22366/

https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/the-habituation-process.20767/

Last edited: Mar 22, 2019
    18. Jen10

Jen10 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/19/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear trauma
      I have
      Superior Canal Dehiscence Syndrome. I just found out today. Usually sound enrichment helps but something has changed. I need sound enrichment to survive. I'm really messed up. My t seems louder. I haven't been sleeping well at all.

19. GregCA
      Jaded

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otosclerosis
      How was it diagnosed? CT Scan?

20. Michael Leigh

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      You need to follow the advice of your ENT doctor/Audiovestibular Physician for treatment of SCDS. A referral to a Hearing Therapist for treatment may also help. You should try to avoid being exposed to loud noise as it can aggravate the condition. I don't advise using headphones even at low volume. Read my posts in the links provided and you might find the following link helpful: https://my.clevelandclinic.org/heal...canal-dehiscence-scd/management-and-treatment

Hope you are able to get some treatment soon.
      Take care and all the best

Michael

21. Jen10

Jen10 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/19/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear trauma
      Yes it was.

22. Jen10

Jen10 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/19/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear trauma
      What can I do in terms of sound enrichment. There are tons of sounds out there. People with severe T can still find alleviation through sound enrichment. My T is normally not this bad.

23. Michael Leigh

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      @Jen10

Read my posts on sound enrichment in the links above: New to tinnitus what to do and Tinnitus, A Personal View. Use a sound machine or download nature sounds from YouTube using your mobile phone. Connect your phone to a Bluetooth speaker or use a dedicated sound machine from Oasis. Model S-650 is good. More information is my posts. You must not mask your tinnitus using sound enrichment. Set the sound below the level of your tinnitus.

As I've previously mentioned, have a talk with your doctor and if medication is suggested then I advise you to try it, as it will help reduce anxiety and stress.

Best of luck
      Michael

• Like Like x 1