Now That I Have Tinnitus I Feel...

Discussion in 'Support' started by Tinnitus Talk, Feb 27, 2013.

?

Now that I have tinnitus I feel...

1. better now that I can ignore it frequently (habituate)

25.0%
  2. depressed

30.4%
  3. grateful for other things I have going well in life

41.1%
  4. grateful to have this forum for support

46.4%
  5. hopeful that I will habituate to it

35.7%
  6. hopeful there will be a cure or effective treatment

46.4%
  7. hopeless

25.0%
  8. I can manage it

30.4%
  9. like I have more support from family

8.9%
  10. like I have no support

14.3%
  11. miserable

33.9%
  12. more anxious

46.4%
  13. more fearful

44.6%
  14. my health is taking a turn for the worse

25.0%
  15. my plans in life have been disrupted

46.4%
  16. my tinnitus is decreasing in intensity

5.4%
  17. my tinnitus is increasing in intensity

19.6%
  18. not hopeful that there will be a cure

23.2%
  19. suicidal

17.9%
  20. "why me?"

33.9%
  21. I marked more than one box

76.8%
Multiple votes are allowed.
    1. Please take time to share.
      You can also see others responses.
      You are not alone.

(credit goes to our member calin for this poll, thanks!)

• Like Like x 1
    2. stantheman

stantheman Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/25/11
      I have not yet habituated to the sound(s). Don't know when or if I can.

I take little comfort in knowing that millions have this disorder. Severe cases can be so devastating. It makes me wonder why there is nothing that will help except "getting used to it". Clearly tinnitus takes a back seat to finding a cure for "life threatening" diseases.

Saying that tinnitus is not life threatening is untrue. Saying that it is only a sound is also untrue. Tinnitus brings on all kinds of physical maladies which are life threatening. Tinnitus is not just a sound. It can and does bring on physical sensations and many times pain. It is frustrating that only "band aids" are available to the tinnitus sufferer.

• Like Like x 2
      • Agree Agree x 2
    3. Louise

Louise Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      29/06/2012 worsened Jan 2017 & Dec 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure
      I agree Stan.

4. dan
      Chatty

dan Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noise
      Well put.

5. click
      Blah

click Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/04/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Not sure
      I need more options...

I feel the same about life; I'm as grateful as I was before T; the only thing that it has changed is that some days I'm sick of having a noise in my head & I wish that I could eat and drink the same things that I did before T.

So perhaps 'I feel the same' and 'Most days I can manage it'?

6. Fish
      Balanced

Fish Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      July 2012
      hmm Click so you are absolutely sure that certain foods (I guess alcohol, caffeine) affect your tinnitus? I could never find a link myself... Thankfully. I like my coffee ;)

7. calin
      Inspired

calin Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Oct 2011
      I don't drink caffeine anymore since T. I didn't drink alcohol anymore before the T.
      Don't know if it will have a negative impact... 'fraid to find out! :)

8. click
      Blah

click Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/04/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Not sure

hmm Fish :) .. I adore the way you doubt :p because it reminds me of me...

There are so few things that I am certain of.. a bit like what caused it in the first place. The strongest contender is still three weeks of silence for that one.

But with food and drink I have tested and retested. I have found that on bad days it is almost impossible to tell what makes it worse. But when my T is so low that I can barely hear it... that's the time when testing food and drink really does work. They either have no effect or bring it up to a hiss or make it screech etc.

I don't test on the days when my T is not there - I can't bear to spoil the silence :love:

I still only have a few absolute positives but they do include tea and coffee - fortunately not nescafe cappaccino... maybe because it has very little real coffee in in.. I'm not sure!

I'm so pleased to hear that you are coping really well Fish. I think our T began within a couple of weeks of each other... it's so much better for us than it used to be eh?

9. Louise

Louise Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure
      Fish did have the AM101 injection though. Wish I had known about that in the first weeks :(

10. click
      Blah

click Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/04/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Not sure
      I just love the way he goes 'hmmm' when I say stuff. I remember shocking him when I said about sensodyne toothpaste & when I quoted from the Jast book.. the bit I interpreted as 'silence can cause tinnitus'.

I like fish's replies cos they make me smile :) & so does the cat!

11. Louise

Louise Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure
      :) :)

12. robyn

robyn Guest

Tinitus threatens ones life, ones sanity, ones being. get used to it, it wont kill you.lol

13. gary
      Transparent

gary Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Who Knows
      My main problem with tinnitus is when I am having a 8-10+ on a 1 to 10 scale. I get extreme anger and rage, if the slightest thing goes wrong on a bad day, I start throwing things around like a kid that has a tantrum. I am a diabetic also, and when I check my blood sugar levels with my meter, if they are high, I get the same way. When the T and BS are both high, well lets just say I am not a nice person to be around.

I am very blessed. My wife is so supportive. She actually cries for me because she can't help. I tell her she helps more than she realizes.

The last few days, something just hit me. I realized that the anger, rage, throwing things around, slamming doors makes things worse. T, blood pressure goes up, heart rate, my BS, stress, and who knows what else.

So, I have made a conscious effort to not let my brain react this way. So far I am doing a pretty good job. I feel like I am in more control of myself, and that makes me feel a whole lot better.

• Like Like x 1
    14. stantheman

stantheman Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/25/11
      I talk to my wife and the rest of my family very little about my tinnitus. Why? Because there is nothing they can do about it. I have a professional counselor. She is the one I talk to about this accursed malady. I also realized that becoming emotional about having tinnitus only makes things worse. So, apart from an occasional crying jag I try to keep my emotions under control and, oh yeah, pop an aprazolam from time to time which also helps.

15. Leah

Leah Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      My husband is not very supportive, he has heard too many times that it is not a major health problem, get on with your life and just don't listen. I get no break 24/7 tea kettle hiss.:(

• Hug Hug x 3
    16. Erlend
      Question it

Erlend Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2013
      If my T goes away, I will live a life completely different to what I had in mind before T. Priorities and perspective on life has changed completely.

• Agree Agree x 3
    17. Danny
      Fine

Danny Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Like I said before get a new husband.

• Like Like x 2
    18. Karl

Karl Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2011
      Ditto. "There is nothing they can do about it".

My T is more of an annoyance, like buzzing flies that don't go away. Not too interesting to talk about with my family.

19. Relic Hunter
      Cynical

Relic Hunter Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      01/1990
      I to rarely talk about my tinnitus to anyone. At first I wanted people to understand and I guess in someway to help. But I soon learned that they could do neither.

I have a hard time keeping my temper under control and complete concentration is gone. Little things that I once just brushed off are now major problems. I am 62 and have other health problems but I can fight those, with tinnitus I can do nothing. Sleep is the only rest and peace I get and I sleep too much. I am lucky in that aspect that my tinnitus is low when I awake so once I do get to sleep its no problem. I feel sometimes I am sleeping my life away, but it doesn't matter.

I used to be able to cry, but cannot do that anymore. That's a hard thing for an old man to admit that sometimes he just wants to sit and cry.

My wife is very supportive of me. She says she doesn't understand but still sees the effect T has on me. I do not care if my family or friends understand. One thing you learn by getting old is that you really never had but only a couple of true friends anyway. Most are just fair weather friends as I call them.

I often ask the question "why me" but there is no answer. I do not believe that God is trying to tell me something or punish me in any way. I got tinnitus it is as simple as that. I do wonder if there is a God why does he let me suffer with this. A simple snap of his finder and someone would find a cure.

I guess the hardest part of having tinnitus is that I blame myself for it. My T. is most likely because of hearing loss. I keep telling myself if only you had not done that you would not be like this. Yet there was no single event that I can point to that started the tinnitus. Just a life time of gradual loss.

It is good that at least there is somewhere to go that people do understand. Thank you all.

• Hug Hug x 1
    20. Cher69
      Fine

Cher69 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      20/5/2013
      Robbed - we take things for granted until we don't have them anymore - but that is true for everything really so I now try and be more appreciative of the things we take for granted cos we never know what is around the corner in life. Live life to the full - TRY and be happy for all the things we have and can do - but then its OK to feel angry and sorry for yourself at low times - T is horrible and takes every ounce of energy and will to overcome and learn to live with.

My experience with T has made me so much more considerate in all areas of life, I am more patient, I try to listen and think carefully about all the people I come into contact with each day - from walking the dog, the kids friends, the 'other' drivers on the road and all the people who I work with, for and support everyday - I remember I can make a difference to them however small but you have one moment to make that difference.

T has changed me - I wish it would sod off but then if it's here to stay then I will try my best to live with it and I swear I will never miss another party because of it ! - cher x

• Hug Hug x 1
    21. Danny
      Fine

Danny Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      good for you!

22. Danny
      Fine

Danny Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      We hear at TT know that tinnitus can't harm you....it's all about your reaction to the friggin noise in your head and how YOU personally allow yourself to react to it, I try to live by it's just a noise and it can't hurt you, yeah it's a tough go but it along with my cicadas seem to help me cope. I personally think your problem is that your a Detroit Red Wing fan that in its self is debilitating and mind numbing....GO LEAFS GO...lol

• Like Like x 1
    23. gary
      Transparent

gary Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Who Knows
      LOL, could be, have trouble sleeping when they lose, T is perceived as very loud. Can't wait for The Winter Classic here. you should drive down for it.

There will be over 100,000 people there. Leafs @ Wings. It will be a great game, I see we are both at 20 points, but I think we will be about 5 ahead of you guys when The Classic is played!!!!!!
      final score Wings-5 Leafs-4 :beeranimation:

• Like Like x 1
    24. object16
      Magical

object16 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      overuse of hearing protection, plus noise
      Just real bad news. I thought I had it severe before, but now I know that my tinnitus was not that severe - now it is to the point that to get to sleep i need a horse bucket full of meds. when i wake up 5 -6 hours later the tinnitus is slightly less, it turns into a cicada noise, and then if i take more meds it turns into a steady squealing tea kettle noise. i am really depressed about the future, so i go one day at a time. i dread if my teeth need to be worked on, so i keep them brushed like crazy - dental work makes me worse, any slight noise makes it worse.

25. gary
      Transparent

gary Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Who Knows
      object, really feel bad tinnitus has worsened. You have to get your popper rest. Can you get a few of those 6" fans and let them run on high, they do make a lot of noise. I am retired, so I watch TV until I can no longer keep my eyes open. I also use an earphone and listen to a talk radio station, it helps me concentrate on what is being talked about, helps me to not focus on T

Remember: There is nothing real to fear
      Remember: The noise is not real, only perceived as real to you
      Remember: You are in control of your reaction to the perceived noise
      Remember: It will not kill you.........
      Remember: You are not alone................

Is it annoying: Hell yes......

• Like Like x 2
    26. LadyDi
      Busy

LadyDi Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Barotrauma/airplane
      It was good to read your posts today, Cher and Gary, Erlend and the rest of you. I suddenly am having a low period. I feel less in control of my T, like I am running out of options as I keep doing the acupuncture, switching supplements, going for my talk therapy. And I fear my anti-anxiety meds aren't doing the job they once were, as it can happen.

I am having trouble keeping up the spirit that I had a month ago; that while tinnitus was annoying and life-changing, it had changed me in many ways for the better and that I was learning so much from it in terms of how to live life. Today? I just wish it would go the hell away, just for a few minutes, and leave me in peace. But hopefully, tomorrow will be better.

Sigh. Blessings to all of you here. It means everything to just be able to say: I had a shitty day because of my tinnitus and that you know people will understand and not judge you.

• Like Like x 2
      • Hug Hug x 1
    27. gary
      Transparent

gary Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Who Knows
      Boy, do we ever understand. Di, try focusing on how good you felt a month ago. Today mine is blasting too, but I know sooner or later it will get lower. I look back at my T log and see all the days when the T was mild, and I then know this blasting phase will pass, and I will have my mild days......

Still sucks though.....

• Hug Hug x 1
    28. Leah

Leah Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Sorry...

• Agree Agree x 1
    29. Cher69
      Fine

Cher69 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      20/5/2013
      Sending you big hugs @LadyDi we are so both walking this path at the same time and we both hit the same dumps in the road !!! You would think between us we could swerve em !!!

With that in mind your only days or a week away from being back to strength trust me remember my posts not long ago having a dip struggling a bit ?? I'm through it took a while cried a bit, felt angry, signed myself off work to deal with exhaustion - but some good moments a supportive doc tweaked the meds - and I'm on my way back up!

So history has taught us what happens to me you follow we hit the same bumps so I know your gonna be ok !

I'm going to go get my spade and fill in the bloody pot-holes so you don't hit them my friend xx sending you healing hugs xx

• Hug Hug x 1
    30. LadyDi
      Busy

LadyDi Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Barotrauma/airplane
      Thank you, my special T sister. You give me hope and remind me that, as I always tell others: "It's only for now." I am glad you are past those bumps now and headed out to an open, smooth road.

And hugs to you, Gary. I am going to re-read my log tonight, too. Thanks for the suggestion.