NuEar SDS Tinnitus?

Discussion in 'Support' started by calin, Feb 10, 2013.

1. calin
      Inspired

calin Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Oct 2011
    2. Lisa Lindel

Lisa Lindel Member

Tinnitus Since:
      7/2012
      I went over to the VA today and I recieved my Starkey hearing aid for tinnitus. They program the sound at the doctor's office. I don't know if I like it or not. It will take a while to get used to but it will be great for the classroom. I can't concentrate with the ringing going on,:) Have a wonderful day!

3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      calin
      Inspired

calin Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Oct 2011
      Appreciate you sharing! Keep us posted!

4. Karen
      Talkative

Karen Manager Staff Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      First time: Noise 2nd Time: Ototoxic drug
      Thanks, Calin. This is pretty much what my audiologist did. I tested a hearing aid that had both custom-made tones and amplification. For me, however, it was a problem because it seemed to amplify the pulsating. I didn't buy the hearing aid for that reason.

Maybe I'll wait awhile, and try this again. I think that, for ringing tinnitus, especially single-tone tinnitus, this might work well.

5. jazz
      No Mood

jazz Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      8/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      eardrum rupture from virus; barotrauma from ETD
      Hi All,

I currently have these hearing aids. They are called Starkey Xino. I'm on day three, and this is the first day of relief from my T. (The first two days were terrible; my auditory cortex went crazy from all the stimulation, I guess!) The hearing aids--I hate to say--are cheaply made. At least, they are compared to Widex's Zen2Go.

Starkey's hearing aid gives you a white tone tailored to your tinnitus; and you are encouraged to fine tune this into three separate sounds that provide relief. The concept is great, but the execution is painful! You have to tap on the hearing aid to cycle through the tones. To modify the volume of each sound, in addition, you have to tap and hold while the sounds go up or down three levels. Now neither procedure is difficult, but the execution is awful. The hearing aid is quirky and mostly unresponsive. You end up in "tapping purgatory," praying for responsiveness!

I do love the sounds that the device emits. The white noise is soft, unlike the harsh stuff you may get with phone apps. And the fine-tuning process is actually cool. You are given an iPad that has numerous blocks that represent variations of your noise. You navigate through the blocks, which adjust for both pitch and volume. As you wear the hearing aid, moreoever, the sounds alternate ears--flowing from one ear to the other. The experience is actually quite nice!

Though the sounds are pleasant, people whose tinnitus fluctuates--like myself--may not receive the benefit of masking, unfortunately. While getting fitted, my tinnitus was acting very well--being ever-so-quiet. This is despite having drunk a few cups of coffee earlier to "wake it up." The result was I could not match my tinnitus to the white sounds. I had to "estimate" how loud it gets when it spikes. And, of course, I was wrong! For two days, my tinnitus was raging while my Starkey was whispering sweet nothings into my ears!!

I'm going back Friday for another fitting. But I'm happy to say my tinnitus is greatly improved--even from its most quietest days. I have no idea if this will last, or if I'll start spiking in a few days. From what I've researched, the hearing aids should continue to help my tinnitus--and perhaps lessen its spikes--as my auditory cortex gets rehabilitated. (BTW, I only have very minor hearing loss, and it's in both ears while my tinnitus is just in one ear.)

I just wish Starkey had considered usability, rather than just efficacy. Why take a great product and put it in a cheap package! Because of usability issues--not just the tapping, there's also a few more quirks--I might return it and try the Widex Zen again. If I do, I won't be using the Zen for masking. They have one anemic white noise tone. The rest are fractals that sound nice for about five minutes--then they are irritating. (Or at least, they were to me; I know others just love the fractal sounds.)

• Like Like x 3
    6. jimH
      Caffeine

jimH Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      30 years+
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
      I realize that this thread is more than a year old. However, the Nuear SDS is one of the products that I was considering to help me with both hearing loss and to provide some relief from my T.

Jazz, you claim in the previous post that you have these and "They are called Starkey Xino." Are you certain that they are the same as the Nuear units? I wouldn't want to spend that kind of money on a cheaply produced product.

Any follow-up info on the Nuear SDS units would be appreciated.

http://www.nuear.com/hearing-aids/products/tinnitus/

7. John Meyers
      Artistic

John Meyers Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Just One (1) Loud Rock Concert!
      Here's an ad for "T Aid" ad that was in today's Chicago Trib. -- They are looking for "candidates", however, I'm pretty sure they are selling a $500 device.

Has anyone tried one of these and still recovered (or habituated from T)?

I'm wondering if this would hamper my recovery since some say that too much masking (during the day) actually slows down the recovery period because your brain gets attached to the masking device's sound..

Attached Files:

8. Sailboardman
      Frustrated

Sailboardman Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      04/21/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Sensorineural hearing loss right ear.
      Looks like a hearing aid/masker. I've been wearing a Beltone "Tinnitus Breaker" unit, for 13 months and it does help me hear lost frequencies. It also has four different programs to choose from, so I can turn off the masking noise(s) anytime I want. Has my T diminished? Maybe? They say, around 24 months and T will start to come down. Same amount of time with TRT. Unfortunately, it costs around $4,000 and most insurance carriers, don't cover it.

9. John Meyers
      Artistic

John Meyers Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Thank you sailboard man. -- Glad to hear that it is working for you!

That is a little out of my budget but I won't rule it out for down the road..

Take care, John

10. just1morething
      Benevolent

just1morething Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      TMJ disorder, airplane barotrauma, noise exposure.
      Some of the maskers on hearing aids sound like our tinnitus. I don't know what WNG's sound like, but I was quoted about $1200 per ear. Those would be for the TRT treatment.

11. John Meyers
      Artistic

John Meyers Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Yes, I have a Free iPhone app that sounds like crickets in a field. -- I haven't needed it in a while but it drowns out my T perfectly.

This is probably the same premise but more defined with an ear piece that is barely visible..

12. just1morething
      Benevolent

just1morething Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      TMJ disorder, airplane barotrauma, noise exposure.
      Maybe you could order WNG's with cricket sounds lol. Then no more clumsy wires.

• Like Like x 1
    13. Atlantis

Atlantis Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2014
      It says "RISK FREE", meaning they probably offer some kind of money back guarantee.

I think the ad is suspicious and unethical though, it gives you the impression that it's a clinical trial of some kind ("looking for candidates"), when it's a paid product with a money back guarantee.

Why can't tinnitus service providers be HONEST & ETHICAL?

The device looks like your run of the mill ear masker.

14. John Meyers
      Artistic

John Meyers Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Agreed. I'm sure they aren't going to pay Coach Ditka to be a spokesman for a clinical trial. Ha ha..