Occlusion Effect WITHOUT Earplugs? Anyone Else Experienced This Before?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Mnq16, Nov 29, 2021.

1. Mnq16
      Surrender

Mnq16 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown- Visual Snow related
      Hi everyone,

I am in a dark place right now and I need some reassurance. Since last Tuesday something weird has been going on with my ears. For reference I've had tinnitus for almost 2 years now and it has caused me varying levels of distress but for the most part it is manageable.

Last Tuesday I realised that my left ear had some kind of minor fullness/pressure sensation and when I spoke in any volume louder than a whisper, I could hear my voice a lot louder in the affected ear similar to the occlusion effect and it would create a vibrating sensation through my ear/jaw. This would clear after a shower for maybe an hour before coming back which led me to believe this could be an ETD issue or maybe wax? It's worth saying my left ear is my non-tinnitus 'good ear' although in the past my tinnitus has gone from ear to ear but it hasn't been in this ear for around a year maybe.

However since yesterday, the vibrating/fullness sensation has more or less waned but it seems like my whole head/both ears are kind of blocked up now and when I speak my voice sounds 'bassy' in my head and I can't tell if it sounds too loud or too quiet all I know is it seems relatively muffled compared to usual. My girlfriend says I don't sound any different so I'm just confused.

I seem to be having extra mucus and that general stuffy feeling so could this be down to a cold, although I don't have a blocked nose or sore throat etc? Also worth mentioning my tinnitus hasn't spiked at all and I don't seem to have any hearing loss (my tinnitus isn't noised induced anyway). I'm pretty sure I've had this sensation before but it never lasted longer than a few hours.

This is causing me so much distress as I'm refraining from talking and am isolating myself from university which is a problem. I know it's only been a week but I just want to know if anyone else has had something like this happen to them or what this could be down to?

Thanks so much.

TL;DR:

No hearing loss, no tinnitus spike but for a week my voice sounds similar to the occlusion effect you get from earplugs when speaking. Causing me so much distress.

• Hug Hug x 2
    2. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Mnq16
      Surrender

Mnq16 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Been a few days now and I think it's only gotten worse. I don't know how I can go on. I've had awful spikes before which have put me in 'the hole' but this feels even worse.

I go about my day trying to minimize how much I talk and that is no way to live. Surely someone has experienced this before?

• Hug Hug x 1
    3. GoatSheep

GoatSheep Guest

Patulous Eustachian Tube.

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Helpful Helpful x 1
    4. Clerkp

Clerkp Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud Music
      Have you considered middle ear issues? Fluid? Pressure?

• Like Like x 1
    5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Mnq16
      Surrender

Mnq16 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I've looked into that but it doesn't seem like I have all the symptoms related to it, only the voice thing. I can't hear my breathing or eyes move or anything like that.

6. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Mnq16
      Surrender

Mnq16 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Thanks for responding. When you say middle ear issues, do you mean like an ear infection or Eustachian tube issues? That's what I suspect. For what it's worth, when the initial left ear symptoms happened, they came on following a kind of slight feeling of pressure changing in that ear- don't know if this points towards anything or not.

7. Clerkp

Clerkp Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud Music
      Either but probably ETD. I am dealing with some of that now. It’s terribly annoying. But I don’t really want surgery. Hoping it resolves on its own.

• Agree Agree x 1
    8. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Mnq16
      Surrender

Mnq16 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      What symptoms are you dealing with at the moment mate?

9. Juan

Juan Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Several causes
      Maybe fluid, pressure, wax, caused it. Damage made by noise can also cause that, hearing your own voice louder.

There's people with autophony that normally perceive their own voice louder.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
    10. Clerkp

Clerkp Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud Music
      A very slight popping sound in my right ear. Consistent but intermittent. Can't find a trigger. It's really quiet. Like a light pop or a click but it doesn't seem like myoclonus. Almost like something is wet in there. Driving me nuts particularly at night.

11. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Mnq16
      Surrender

Mnq16 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Are things like fluid and pressure things that resolve on their own?

12. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Mnq16
      Surrender

Mnq16 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      How long has that been going on for?

13. Clerkp

Clerkp Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud Music
      5 days. Started out of nowhere. Like a nice gift from the gods in addition to my tinnitus. I’m 46. It’s definitely physical and objective. This isn’t like a tinnitus sound.

14. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Mnq16
      Surrender

Mnq16 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Yeah similar to mine - my tinnitus is unaffected. This seems like a mechanical issue. For some reason though I have more confidence for these things to fade away by themselves than tinnitus itself.

15. Clerkp

Clerkp Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud Music
      Hope so. ETD seems easily addressed. Myoclonus seems more complicated but I’m pretty sure that’s not what this is. I’ve been really stressed and not sleeping so I’m sure that’s not helping. Seeing an ENT today. Will report back.

• Like Like x 2
    16. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Mnq16
      Surrender

Mnq16 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Best of luck mate, let us know how it goes.

17. GoatSheep

GoatSheep Guest

I have a clicking noise in my right ear that sounds like typewriter keys. It is not typewriter tinnitus. It’s very intermittent and if I sleep on that ear it can worsen.

18. Clerkp

Clerkp Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud Music
      May I ask how loud? Mine is barely perceptible but just loud enough to get me particularly in bed. I am a side sleeper. Haven't identified it getting better or worse based on the side I sleep but I am still investigating.

19. Clerkp

Clerkp Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud Music
      Not a doctor, but these symptoms are likely ETD. I'm sure it's possible for them to resolve on their own particularly if the cause is something like a cold or allergies. I was prescribed Flonase. Only been taking it a few days so I can't tell if it's helping or not. Looks like there are some surgical options available if conservative treatments don't work. Ear tubes and expanding the Eustachian tube appear to be the options. Both are outpatient procedures. I do worry that ear tubes could cause hearing loss and/or make tinnitus worse so I would be nervous about that.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
    20. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Mnq16
      Surrender

Mnq16 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I really suspect ETD as I feel congested (mucus, clogged ears, slight sore throat etc) so maybe I have a slight cold which is causing it to be blocked.

If it doesn't resolve after the weekend, I'll head to an ENT to get prescribed a nasal steroid.

I've also read about a procedure called balloon dilation which opens up the Eustachian tube but like you I am wary of getting any kind of surgery there unless needed as tinnitus and the ears in general are very sensitive.

21. Clerkp

Clerkp Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud Music
      Yeah agree. I don’t really want anything messing with my ears for fear of things getting worse. So I’m trying to stay calm and realize that this is not really a big deal. Strangely my symptoms subside in the evening after I exercise for about 5 hours. Unfortunately they have been recurring in the middle of the night. If I could get through the night I could deal with it. But once you get fixated it’s hard to ignore and my anxiety spikes as I haven’t been sleeping well to begin with.

• Like Like x 1
    22. GoatSheep

GoatSheep Guest

Not very loud. It’s actually improved over time also. Mine began after an ear surgery to remove an inner auditory canal osteoma. It was louder when it began and for quite awhile after the surgery, like a year after lol. It also improved when I started taking Tru Niagen.

I feel like it’s objective. I’ve actually tried to record it with my phone, but wasn’t successful.

I’d say at first it sounded like it clicked with more force like a typewriter key that needed oiled. After the inflammation went down and I started taking the Tru Niagen it feels like a smoother click and I perceive that to be why it doesn’t sound as loud and feel it is not typewriter tinnitus.

23. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Mnq16
      Surrender

Mnq16 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Can relate to this completely. When you notice something like this, the anxiety takes over completely, but look, it's only been 5 days. It could disappear as quick as it came on.

• Agree Agree x 1
    24. Clerkp

Clerkp Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud Music
      I haven't had good luck with these things but you are right, 5 days out of 46 years on the planet. Fingers crossed. Even a minor procedure to my ear is terrifying. Sadly, my recent tinnitus spike which had the bejeezus scared out of me has subsided so just like that a new problem.

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Hug Hug x 1
    25. Juan

Juan Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Several causes
      Yes, they usually resolve on their own.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
    26. Clerkp

Clerkp Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud Music
      Doctor suspects Eustachian tube issues as expected. Suggested considering TMJ as a cause to start and if things don't improve in 2 weeks, next step would be a CAT scan to look for structural issues. Prescribed me some Klonopin as he suspects stress and sleep are contributing to this and my tinnitus. I'm a little reluctant to go down that path but my sleep has been nonexistent for a month. Probably wouldn't hurt to try to get back on some semblance of tract. I've read all the pros and cons here. Feels like a deal with the devil but half the people I know take benzos daily and are fine.

27. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Mnq16
      Surrender

Mnq16 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Yeah benzos are tricky but as long as you're responsible and it can give you your sleep back, initially it might be a good idea.

• Like Like x 1
    28. Clerkp

Clerkp Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud Music
      I’ve never taken them. I’m pretty reluctant. The constant wet popping sound in my ear is hell on earth. It makes my tinnitus seem like a distant memory. I was able to get some relief by putting an earplug in there. Unfortunately that just makes the tinnitus sing even louder.

29. Stacken77
      Wishful

Stacken77 Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise (likely headphones & cars), Acoustic trauma did me in
      I've never had experience with Benzodiazepines, but my understanding is that they should be taken with great caution.

There's quite a few on here who's had their tinnitus and hyperacusis screwed over on them. There's numerous alternatives for sleep that I think should be tried before: herbal medicine, Melatonin (Hormone), Hydroxyzine (Antihistamine), Mirtazapine (Antidepressant), e.t.c. There are those who get side effects from these drugs too, but they're generally considered to be safer.

I'd play it real safe, and treat Benzodiazepines as a last resort.

Just my 2 cents,
      Stacken

• Agree Agree x 1
    30. Hottopic29

Hottopic29 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Zithromycin acoustic trauma 2022
      I'm going to try Tru Niagen.

I took today NAC and Lipoflavonoid and I'm spiking now. Really hoping Tru Niagen doesn't spike me too.

• Like Like x 1