OMG FINALLY I Can Write My Success Story

Discussion in 'Success Stories' started by Marie79, May 13, 2018.

1. Marie79

Marie79 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2/1/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection
      For newbies I know what you are thinking, ANOTHER damn success story about how the tinnitus DID NOT get better. Maybe you are sick of hearing these habituation stories but it's real.

It took a LONG time for me to get here. I got tinnitus 2/2016 from an ear infection. The ear infection got better, the ringing stayed. I went to every doctor I could find and went to GOOD doctors that specialized in tinnitus. There really isn't treatment (if things have changed recently I am open to hearing about it). I have and have always had major anxiety so I know this has attributed to my tinnitus greatly.

For me under doctors recommendations I took Xanax as needed in the beginning. This was NOT a large amount. Probably like .5 mg per day. At that time I was getting to sleep drinking wine so I wouldn't mix with any pills.

Time went on and I didn't need the Xanax at all during the day. I tapered back on drinking the wine to get to sleep and (under doctors orders). I still take Xanax to get to sleep. I take 1-2 nights a week off (recommended by doctors) so I do not get used to it. I also use headphones on a noise app with crickets with a timer to go off in an hour when I do go to sleep.

I know this sounds like a major pain but realize, I have had severe anxiety before tinnitus. My story won't be like everyone else.

I hear from so many people that they have tinnitus and they aren't bothered at all. My mom, my husband (who I didn't even know had LOUD TINNITUS until I told him I had tinnitus). To be honest the majority of people that I speak to have some sort of tinnitus in silence.

I do like to have a masker on during the day when I am working from home. My tinnitus is super high pitched but thankfully not super loud so I do need to have specific maskers.

The hardest part for me was worrying what meds affect it. I still have that worry. I won't touch ibuprofen (that did not give me tinnitus) and really try to stay away from any meds. I have been to Harvard educated ENT's one of which has tinnitus and is trying to create a cure and he says I am way too worried about the meds part. He said the main things to worry about are life saving IV antibiotics etc. He said he will even take aspirin.

But for me I do try to stick to non ototoxic. DO NOT obsess like I did and google every medicine and ailment related to tinnitus because you will find SOMEONE that posted somewhere they got tinnitus from anything.

I have gotten through the flu, strep with antibiotics, cavities, colds, a wisdom tooth pulled and even a couple minor ear infections all of which did not affect my tinnitus. No I don't get sick a lot. I just was super hyper aware of everything and how it could affect tinnitus. The fear gets better. I have a cold right now and I am not super freaked about the tinnitus.

It gets better. For me habituation is not that I never hear it. It just mean that it doesn't give me that horrific fear that it used to. Life is probably 90% back to normal and I think now how waaaay to freaked out I was.

Advice: don't read too many horror stories, don't sit in silent rooms and listen for your tinnitus and listen to your dr if you need to help you get through with meds. I think my recovery was worse because I did not want to take any meds.

• Like x 20
      • Winner x 8
      • Hug x 4
      • Helpful x 1
      • Genius x 1
    2. glynis
      Feminine

glynis Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      @Marie79,
      It is lovely to hear you are coping a lot better now as I remember you had a real difficult time .
      Love glynis x

• Like Like x 3
      • Hug Hug x 1
    3. dayma
      Pacman

dayma Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      1/6/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      UNKNOWN
      Great post and very inspirational!!!!

• Like Like x 2
    4. BuzzyBee
      Bookworm

BuzzyBee Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Not Sure
      Great post, Marie! I'm so glad to hear you are doing better. Thanks for taking the time to post your success story.

• Like Like x 1
    5. Ed209

Ed209 Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2015
      Great post Marie. In fact, I was only just thinking about you the other day, wondering how you were doing. It’s brilliant to hear you’re doing so well.

• Like Like x 1
    6. Samir
      Obedient

Samir Manager Staff Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Accoustic trauma
      Yeah, the initial phase where you realize you have this noise in your head and you can't seem to shake it off, that's the worst part I think. Then you start looking for answers, you stop by doctors and you google things, looking for treatment options and so on. All of us here on this forum have been through this process I think.

I myself have a mild form of tinnitus, it can fluctuate a little bit, but it has been relatively stable lately. I have pretty good hearing, all things considered. I have more or less habituated, if by habituation we mean absence of negative emotional reaction to the noise inside your head. But it is highly individual how you handle it.

I would imagine that I would have had much harder time habituating to severe tinnitus. It depends on what kind of person you are, what your social life looks like, what you do for a living and so on. I myself am a studious introvert and silence was my sanctuary where I would find my inner voice and calm from the chaotic external world.

Sorry if I sound all too negative. Thanks for sharing your experience Marie! Habituation may not be a cure, but it is an attractive stepping stone to the cure, and something I wish for everyone here.

• Like Like x 1
    7. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Marie79

Marie79 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2/1/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection
      I would have had a hard time habituating to more severe tinnitus. I know that for sure

8. Greg Sacramento

Greg Sacramento Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Syringing + Somatic tinnitus from dental work
      It all depends on what kind of tinnitus that you have for habituation. I was finally able to habituate with severe tinnitus caused from loud noise.

Now on top of that with severe degenerative and painful physical tinnitus per many conditions it won't be easy. I have posted links from professional pub med studies where ENTs and neuro doctors this and that support this. When one also has serious facial conditions the pain can be unreal.

• Hug Hug x 4
      • Like Like x 2
    9. DimitarIV
      Creative

DimitarIV Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Deep down inside we all know that habituation is the answer. Thank you for sharing your story!

• Funny Funny x 4
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • Genius Genius x 1
    10. Tony Phylactou

Tony Phylactou Member

Tinnitus Since:
      sept 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Cement factory noise lowT,then stress high T
      Hi Marie
      Were you drinking wine in the evening to sleep at first and took xanax in the day time or have iIgot it wrong?Because if it works I 'd rather use the wine to sleep.Whch one is more effective?

11. IvanRus

IvanRus Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      ototoxicity
      As your hearing on the audiogram, it is not hurt?

Yes, very much depends on the noise level.

Do you have spikes from loud things / stress?

Or does the tinnitus not react to such stimuli and is always stable on the same level?
      Thank you.

12. billie48
      Sunshine

billie48 Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2009
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      not sure
      It is wonderful to hear that you are getting better enough to write a success story, Marie. Like Glynis posted above, you were having a hard time a while back. This proves once again that firstly things will improve over time for many members and secondly that our perception of tinnitus can change over time. What used to haunt us into mental blackhole may not cause the same response after a while when we get more used to it. Congrats to your success. God bless.

• Like Like x 3
    13. Rajin

Rajin Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      9/7/17
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Hearing loss ,noise
      You make a good point here, People who Habituation, the noise stll there , but your emotions reactions to the noise is less.Then you don’t notice it anymore.Also depends on how loud it it. Yes we need treatment and cure because everyone deserves silence.

Last edited: May 19, 2018
      • Like Like x 2
      • Agree Agree x 2
    14. paganismos
      Angelic

paganismos Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear Syringing (Acoustic Trauma)
      I am so glad to hear from you! In my freak-out phase I was constantly checking your profile, see how you were doing. You give me a glimpse of hope in things.

15. John Meyers
      Artistic

John Meyers Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Just One (1) Loud Rock Concert!
      Yes, that is exactly what habituation is.

I find that masking, keeping busy, eating healthy (low salt) and exercise help keep me in habituation although I still get frustrated from time to time.

Congrats Marie!

• Like Like x 2
    16. J.Hartog
      Worried

J.Hartog Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Life
      Not to be a downer here I am very happy that someone habituated, I have tinnitus since 2013 habituation happened and un-happened a couple of times for me. Maybe thats not even bad news but still there will be a point were tinnitus will make you desperate again, and then you will get over it again. Thats just the nature of the tinnitus beast.

I could have written succes stories here and months/years later can be desperate again and be in the support section :p thats why I dont do both...
      I do apreciate the succes stories part of this forum very much so I am in no way trying to be negative here and I am happy for anyone having relief :)

• Hug Hug x 2
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • Helpful Helpful x 1
    17. John Meyers
      Artistic

John Meyers Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Just One (1) Loud Rock Concert!
      My sentiments exactly. -- It's been a roller coaster ride for almost 3 years for me.

Lately, it seems to be louder and will hopefully subside soon.

Keep the success stories coming! -- They really do help those of us who read them regularly! :)

18. Tony Phylactou

Tony Phylactou Member

Tinnitus Since:
      sept 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Cement factory noise lowT,then stress high T
      Very nice to hear that about your T.If i remember well you also recovered from Hyperacusis some time ago well done

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    19. Julryan

Julryan Member

Tinnitus Since:
      May 24 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Tobramycin
      Thanks for posting this. I am new here and on day 8 of this new loud sound in both ears . So as you might guess im in freak out mode. I believe mine is from tobramycin eye drops. My Dr (GP) thinks it may calm down after a few weeks but he is guessing and I think he is trying to give me hope (i dont have much now). I had no idea what this was until it happened. Thanks for sharing that habituation is possible even with anxiety. (Im panicked) I keep getting told to calm down or i wont be able to habituate but I cant seem to do it... yet.

20. Tamara G

Tamara G Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Not sure if diuretic or antidepressant
      I just started with the ringing in my ears and because I have panic disorder it’s been horrible. I’m on Celexa to help with the panic and anxiety. Are antidepressants ok or a specific one I don’t know how else to control the panic attacks. Please help.

21. Julryan

Julryan Member

Tinnitus Since:
      May 24 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Tobramycin
      @Tamara G Hi I am new here too (almost 3 weeks) and I also have a history of panic disorder too. I think you should try to speak with your dr about a different antidepressant. I was researching and came across celexa as one with a connection to tinnitus. I am not a dr but you might speak to your dr about it. Also, clonazapam is supposed to lower the ringing. I have some but it doesnt seem to lower it for me. Also, in addition to searching this site for info re- post your question as a new post in the in the "support" section. You will get lots of info and support. I know how scary this is because im new too.

22. MeBeSurfer

MeBeSurfer Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/17
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      SSRI Medication, Movie Theaters, or Gaming Headphones
      Please talk to your doc about a diff anti-depressant. Celexa gave me T when I was only on 10mg for 7 weeks. It hasn't gone away, been a really tough ride these past 8 months. Please tell your doctor Celexa can take a hike. But do NOT stop or taper off without consulting your doctor. And just because it caused T for me, doesn't mean it will for you. Truth is, most meds have T as a side effect. I think Celexa just has a bit of a higher track record of causing it, but I'm not a doctor. Try CBT therapy. I had panic disorder and it went away after 2 years with proper CBT therapy and working out.