One of the Largest Tinnitus Trials Yet

Discussion in 'Support' started by Cillian, May 5, 2016.

1. bill 112
      Fine

bill 112 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure
      These treatments are nothing new Cillian,they've been around for some years now and they're nothing spectacular.Yes they're a step towards a proper treatment but it seems we've been stuck on this step for too long now and it's about time we moved on.

• Like Like x 1
    2. Markku
      Inspired

Markku Founder Staff Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Syringing
      I'm fairly certain MuteButton was already on sale and available in Ireland last year, with plans to bring it to UK (that part never came to fruition) and maybe other parts of EU.

They were supposed to publish their clinical trial results last year, but I don't think they ever did.

Then the sale was stopped in Ireland.

Last year, NeuroMod (responsible for MuteButton) raised €5.5M, which they announced in September, if my memory serves.

And now another clinical trial occurring. It seems they also plan to do US trial.

http://neuromoddevices.com/newsroom

neuromod-mutebutton-clinical-trial.png

• Informative Informative x 3
    3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Cillian

Cillian Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Sinus infection
      @Markku are you confident that proper treatment will be available eventually? And are a lot of companies looking into treating T?

Regards Cillian :)

4. bill 112
      Fine

bill 112 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure
      I've read that article in The Irish Times Markku and it after more digging I read about the planned trials etc but nothing ever came of them?And then they pulled out of Ireland and didn't post any results which only confirmed my fears regarding this being a gimmick.But who knows maybe they will pull something off but it's just my hopes aren't high for this.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
    5. Jamclem
      Fine

Jamclem Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Flying then Sport (Probs)
      @bill 112 yeah defos. Perhaps there is another trial somewhere where you could take part? So you know, I live in St Gallen, Switzerland so that trial in Dublin is too far from me I am afraid :)

6. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Cillian

Cillian Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Sinus infection
      @Jamclem hi :) I got turned down already so many people are applying here haha

7. Jamclem
      Fine

Jamclem Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Flying then Sport (Probs)
      @Cillian do they not show you the acceptance criteria before you apply?

8. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Cillian

Cillian Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Sinus infection
      No if you look up the thread you will see the e mail response just saying I hadn't been accepted

9. Eltel

Eltel Member

Tinnitus Since:
      07/14
      Just started the application process but I failed as not a Resident . If I had hope it had a chance of Success I would have flown there the 5 times required

• Agree Agree x 1
    10. Vasckin
      Terrified

Vasckin Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2015
      One of the world's largest ever clinical trials into tinnitus is to take place in Dublin and people suffering with the condition are being asked to take part. This new trial will take place in St James's Hospital's newly founded Research and Innovation Hub. Its aims is to compare the effects of different settings of an approved medical device on the symptoms of the condition. It is hoped this will lead to better treatment for those affected.

http://www.irishhealth.com/article.html?id=25349

• Informative Informative x 1
    11. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Cillian

Cillian Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Sinus infection
      @Vasckin did you apply ? Me and @bill 112 were turned down unfortunately as there are thousands applying

12. jeff W

jeff W Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2012
      What is it you want to know? The original (first) trial results were not published, they just release a sheet with some lines of text.

13. jeff W

jeff W Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2012
      I wouldn't stop Switzerland for Dublin. just saying.

14. bill 112
      Fine

bill 112 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure
      Basic information Jeff,like what the trial entails and what the inclusion/exlusion criteria is,something they seem so far to have failed to do.When anyone here applies for the trial you just get a no without any questions about your history and when you ask them very basic questions about the trial they act like you don't exist.Is that too much to ask.....

15. Zug
      Woot

Zug Member Benefactor

Well, the Irish gave us great drinks. If they cure Tinnitus, I'll have one more reason to like them :D

• Funny Funny x 1
    16. Daveyrvancleef

Daveyrvancleef Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I don't know
      I've got an reply. They are 'almost' accepting me in their research. They asked for my name and phone number and I will get a call from them. They want more information and i'm not sure what that is.

17. IreneO
      Procrastinating

IreneO Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2014 (mild), 03/15 (severe)
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Head trauma, then acoustic trauma, then more acoustic trauma
      @Daveyrvancleef That is interesting - you seem to be the first person on this forum whose application wasn't rejected sight unseen. Do keep us posted. I'm curious as to what selection criteria they're using.

18. Daveyrvancleef

Daveyrvancleef Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I don't know
      I will come with updates. I asked my sister for financing the trip and she said yes, so that's a win for me. So well see if they call me and hopefully I will give the right answers!

This was their reply on my intake:

Dear Sir or Madam,

Thank you for completing the Eligibility Assessment for our tinnitus trial. You that you have been identified as a potentially eligible participant for the screening process in St James's Hospital. In order to confirm eligibility a member of the team would like to speak to you. Please reply to this email with your name and phone number.

Looking forward to hearing from you.

Kind Regards,

Tinnitus Trial Support Team​

19. Daveyrvancleef

Daveyrvancleef Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I don't know
      UPDATE:

They gave me a call and they asked me a few questions. Questions about my tinnitus, if I got the time to travel 6 times from the Netherlands to Dublin and if I had any epileptic symptoms and/or using 'drugs' for those epileptic symptoms.

He was fairly positive about my answers. My answers will be reviewed by the research team and then I will get an answer if I'm accepted to the trial in Dublin.

20. Beste
      Disappointed

Beste Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/16/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Benzo/Clonazepam, Stress
      Hey, happy for you. I hope things will go great for you. And thank you for updating.

But I wonder why they asked things about epilpsy. Since we know epileptic drugs are effective in reducing the severity of tinnitus more or less to many people I wonder if they will work on potassium channels.

• Agree Agree x 2
    21. Daveyrvancleef

Daveyrvancleef Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I don't know
      I'm not sure, but maybe they dont want to have participants with epilepsy for their trial? Well see, if there is an update, I'll post it.

22. Vinnitus
      Tired

Vinnitus Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      28/04/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      I don't know where to leave this, as I cannot post in the clinical trials forum. I just wanted to put out that apparently a clinical trial for Tinnitus has started recently in St. James Hospital, Dublin (Ireland). I stumbled upon it today. So for all the Irish folks here, maybe something to try to get into.

http://www.irishtimes.com/life-and-style/health-family/tinnitus-trials-participants-wanted-1.2709851

http://tinnitustrials.ie/

Maybe someone can put this in the "Clinical Trials" section?

EDIT: Ah, seems there was a thread already. Thanks for moving.

23. Kimbo Slice
      Balanced

Kimbo Slice Member

This actually looks like a reasonable theory. Check it out guys. Here's the link to the full article:

http://www.irishtimes.com/life-and-style/health-family/tinnitus-trials-participants-wanted-1.2709851

About 350 patients will take part in the Tinnitus trials, which is expected to last for about three months. Participants will take home the device and use it for an hour a day. The clinical research team will monitor their progress, and they’ll return to the hospital for regular assessments over the three-month period.

“We’ll be looking at various stimulation patterns, which is the most effective, and how one stimulation pattern compares to the other, and how that influences the loudness and impact of the tinnitus on them. And we’ll be following them up in the long term.”

Conlon hopes that if he finds the right stimulation pattern, it might help recalibrate the brain so it doesn’t perceive the noise. “The ear is picking up sound all the time and feeding it into the brain. Even in complete quietness, the auditory nerve is sending signals in using a million fibres. If something happens to your cochlea, your inner ear, and it gets damaged, those fibres now are no longer sending those signals into the central auditory processing system, which is a complex series of networks that go all the way up to the brain where you understand sound. So when the brain stops getting that feed peripherally, those central auditory processing areas start firing up themselves. They take off on their own. That’s what we think happens with tinnitus.

“It’s a little bit like phantom pain; somebody loses their hand and then they feel pain in the hand, because they’re not getting that peripheral sensory input from the hand because it’s no longer there, and so you get neural firing from within that part of your brain that’s designed to register your hand.” tinnitustrials.ie