Only 21 with Tinnitus from Ear Infection Followed by Ear Wax Build Up

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by sophielynch, Jan 28, 2021.

1. sophielynch

sophielynch Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/21
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection and wax removal
      Hi. My name is Sophie and I started with tinnitus in November/December due to an ear infection, followed by an ear wax build up that I got rid of around the 14th of January, 2021. Somewhere in the November/December time I started with tinnitus but I thought it was due to the ear wax build up. Now that’s gone and my tinnitus still remains.

My doctor thought I might have Eustachian Tube Dysfunction but when I went to the ENT there was no fluid in my ears or any hearing loss. However, when I flick my ear that has tinnitus in it, it feels uncomfortable and a very intense whoosh comes over it?

So I feel like I do have something causing the tinnitus but nobody is listening.

Anyway, sometimes it seems like the tinnitus is nearly completely gone but this is very rare and only when it’s quiet. Last night I was on FaceTime with my boyfriend, I couldn’t hear it at all but it returned in the morning. Sometimes especially when I’ve been in the shower, car, hoovered etc it gets so loud when I enter a quiet room again (e.g., turning the shower off or turning the hoover off) and it is roaring to a point I feel like my head is shaking. I feel like my tinnitus is not very loud when I have no ambient noise around me? Which I know is strange for people to think but my hearing literally rattles when I come in from a loud place. It’s horrible.

I think I am a little sensitive to sound too. When I first got my ears suctioned I couldn’t even stand cars going past but I’m over that now, although I find that my ears constantly pop etc. when near loud noises.

What do you all think? Do you think this will subside? How long does it normally take to subside? I am very social and the thought of not going to festivals, clubs etc devastates me, especially at age 21.

I forgot to mention that I have also been put on Propranolol for my anxiety due to my ear issues.

• Hug Hug x 7
      • Like Like x 1
    2. Michael Leigh

Michael Leigh Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      Tinnitus can be caused by many things: ear infection, medication or an underlying medical within the auditory system including ETD. By far the most common cause of tinnitus is exposure to loud noise. If you are a regular user of headphones, earbuds or use a headset, then this is likely to be the cause of the tinnitus. You have mentioned you're sensitive to sound, this could be an indication of hyperacusis which often accompanies exposure to loud noise, often a result of headphone use. These are just suggestions.

Please click on the link below and read my post: New to Tinnitus, What to Do?

Michael

New to Tinnitus, What to Do? | Tinnitus Talk Support Forum

3. kuromi
      Cheerful

kuromi Member

Tinnitus Since:
      16/11/20
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      outer ear infection
      Hello @Michael Leigh,

I've had tinnitus for about two months now and I wanted to ask you if you had any advice for me. It started in early November 2020 and three days after onset I went to my GP and was diagnosed with an outer ear infection (inflammation and swelling of the ear canal.) After using the anti-bacterial ear spray I was prescribed, the ringing began to decrease over the course of a few weeks until now; where it has reached a stage of manifesting as a faint noise.

I know nothing can be certain regarding much to do with this symptom, but I wanted to ask if you had any guidance or experience in this regard, as your experienced with counselling other sufferers. I seldom used headphones, and I don't have a history of loud noise exposure or ototoxic medications. Have you corresponded with others that have had ear infection induced tinnitus? What were their prognosis?

Kind regards!

4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      sophielynch

sophielynch Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/21
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I was wondering if the tinnitus had gone away or gotten any easier for you yet?

5. kuromi
      Cheerful

kuromi Member

Tinnitus Since:
      16/11/20
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      outer ear infection
      Hey there!

My tinnitus hasn't gone away yet, but it's certainly improved. As many people on this forum will say, improvement is slow and often a month to month thing, as opposed to weeks or days. I've had my tinnitus for around 10 weeks now, give or take. Since onset, the actual noise itself has decreased significantly to a level where it's quiet and easier for me to manage.

6. Michael Leigh

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      I have had tinnitus for 25 years and believe I've had my share of ups and downs. It has got easier to live with and now I try to help people manage it better.

Michael

7. Michael Leigh

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      HI @kuromi

It is good that you don't use headphones or earbuds. If you can keep to this so much the better. Avoiding overly loud sounds will help too. Ear infections can cause tinnitus and notorious for taking a long time to clear up. Three months and longer in some cases. Try to avoid quiet rooms and surroundings especially at night. Using a sound machine can help a lot. More about sound machines are mentioned in my posts. Please click on the links below and read them: New to Tinnitus, What to Do and Tinnitus, A Personal View.

If your tinnitus is caused by an ear infection then it's likely when it clears up the tinnitus will go too.

Take care
      Michael

Tinnitus, A Personal View | Tinnitus Talk Support Forum
      New to Tinnitus, What to Do? | Tinnitus Talk Support Forum

PS: People contact me with tinnitus that isn't noise induced as in your case. Ear infection or another type of underlying medical problem within the auditory system. Tinnitus can be very disruptive in the early stages but many people adjust to it in time. Please go to my "Started Threads" and read the posts that I have written below. If you have a printer, please print them and refer to them often. This will help to instil and reinforce positive thinking.

The Habituation Process. Tinnitus and the Negative Mindset. Acquiring a Positive Mindset. From Darkness Into Light. Inspiration. Tinnitus Today and the Way I See It. Is Positivity Important? Tinnitus Questions and Answers.

8. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      sophielynch

sophielynch Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/21
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Hi. So I need some reassurance that my tinnitus is getting better.
      I’m only 21 and I cannot live with this so please help me.

In November I had a nasty ear infection followed by inflammation in my ears and ear wax. I got my ear wax removed around the 14th of January 2021.

My tinnitus started somewhere in early December, 2020. I thought it would go away when my ear wax was removed but it hasn’t and I’m scared.

However, there are times that it is a spot quieter but there are also times that it is a lot louder. I’ve not been doing anything in particular during these times. I’ve been put on Propranolol to try calm me down because my tinnitus is giving me constant anxiety attacks that I cannot control, I’m even having to sleep in bed with my mum because it’s so scary for me at night.

I was wondering if my tinnitus is partly stress induced? I’ve had a lot of stress over the past few months, my mum is very sick and is shielding from COVID-19 so I’ve had to leave the house and live elsewhere on numerous occasions to prevent her getting it.

I also noticed that when I saw my boyfriend yesterday I could barely hear it at all and I was a lot calmer.

Do you think this will go away? I need some reassurance and I need help because it’s effecting my education, my life and especially my anxiety disorder. I’m too young to have tinnitus forever.

9. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      sophielynch

sophielynch Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/21
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Hi! I wanted to jump on to ask how your tinnitus is? I’m 21 and got tinnitus the EXACT same way.

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    10. winstona
      Balanced

winstona Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Oct 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noise exposure and excessive ear irrigation
      I have had tinnitus for almost 3 and a half years. Mine hasn't gone away yet but it has gotten a whole lot better. I have days where I don't feel it at all unless I am in a very quiet room. The bad days are still here but they are a lot less annoying due to a general volume decrease. I am 45 years old and you are a lot younger. I am sure you will recover better than me if you manage it well.

Our ears are very sensitive and they need time to heal. I would suggest no loud music for now if you can avoid them. Refrain from using headphones/earphones for at least 6 months but I strongly suggest not to use them for longer... recovery may be a bit slow but it does happen.

11. Lane

Lane Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Single 25 mg dose of (anticholinergic) drug Promethazine
      Hi @sophielynch -- Propranolol is known to be able to cause or exacerbate tinnitus. I would recommend trying to find a non-drug alternative. There are many to choose from. -- Take care!

12. Tara Lyons

Tara Lyons Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/01/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      @sophielynch, how are you doing? I felt the same way you did when this began for me a year ago. Still struggling greatly actually but I suppose I’m not as traumatized as when it first started. I guess it’s gotten a bit easier in some ways, although I do feel hopeless of a full recovery sometimes. It’s hard to imagine being normal, it seems so out of reach.

13. kuromi
      Cheerful

kuromi Member

Tinnitus Since:
      16/11/20
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      outer ear infection
      Hello @sophielynch!

I hope you're doing better. I figured I would message you to see how you're checking in with things. Have you had any improvements? As others have said before, initially tinnitus is incredibly difficult to deal with, but things do get better.

I'm nearly 4 months in and whilst I'd say the noise has definitely faded significantly, I'm still getting fluctuations throughout the day in terms of how much I focus on it, or how it emotionally triggers me.

Take care.