Palatal Aponeurosis Massage: A Diagnostic and Treatment Tool to Tinnitus and Otological Symptoms

Discussion in 'Research News' started by Gabriel, Feb 15, 2023.

1. Gabriel
      Depressed

Gabriel Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I focused on verifying if I had tinnitus
      Palatal Aponeurosis Massage: A Diagnostic and Treatment Tool to Tinnitus and Otological Symptoms

Abstract
      The number of patients seeking treatment for aural fullness, increase in sound threshold, hyperacusis, and tinnitus-together diagnosed as Tonic Tympani Tensor Syndrome (TTTS) as increased greatly during the Covid 19 pandemic. These subjects often present with complaints of Temporomandibular Joint (TMJ) disorders, bruxism, and anxiety. Herein, we report a novel diagnostic and treatment method. This series of cases (n=22) was collected from consecutive patients who attended a tinnitus clinic between February and July 2021. After a clinical history suggestive of TTTS and associated TMJ disorder with myofascial pain and stomatognathic muscle tenderness, subjects were submitted to a novel myofascial relaxing and stretching technique applied to the palatal aponeurosis. Treatment was performed in a single session. The outcome measurement was based on a tinnitus loudness rating scale of 0-100. The mean tinnitus loudness score before treatment was 54.77 (confidence interval-CI 45.8 to 65.47) and after treatment 25.2 (CI 19.59-to 32.61) (p < 0.001). The magnitude effect mean ratio was 0.46 (95% CI .0.39 to 0.54.), p < 0,001.

The massage reduced tinnitus loudness immediately after being performed. It also reduced associated otological complaints such as ear pressure and muffled hearing.

• Informative Informative x 1
    2. Jonno02
      Frustrated

Jonno02 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      2012. Worsened 2022.
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Primarily loud music. Secondary - ETD + TMJ
      If anybody can dissect better than I, how to perform the 'massage,' I'll give it a go. I'm suspecting more and more my tinnitus is because of life-long TMD.

• Agree Agree x 1