Parasym — tVNS Device

Discussion in 'Treatments' started by razo, Jan 31, 2019.

1. razo

razo Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Audio exposure
      • Like Like x 1
    2. Mentos

Mentos Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced, loud rock concert
      I tried this with no effect.

• Informative Informative x 3
    3. Bob den Hartog

Bob den Hartog Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noice induced
      Promising...

Since this also mentions a form of neuromodulation combined with sound therapy, could this be the same underlying principle as a treatment like Neuromod is working on, i.e. more evidence of the successful workings of that treatment?

4. Joan torrens pol

Joan torrens pol Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2000
    5. Leqi

Leqi Member

Tinnitus Since:
      April 2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Neomycin Ear drop
      THE PARASYM
      The Parasym (formerly the Salustim) device uses a method known as transcutaneous vagus nerve stimulation (tVNS).”​

I think there are some people here have tried Salustim before..

6. Markku
      Inspired

Markku Founder Staff Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Syringing
      • Informative Informative x 1
    7. Piney

Piney Member

Tinnitus Since:
      March 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Shingles virus
      Has anyone else tried this device with any success?

8. KotaDomowa
      Dreaming

KotaDomowa Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Februar 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I tried and I achieved some success. But in retrospect I do not even know if it was a placebo / coincidence.

9. Rio80

Rio80 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otosclerosis + Neurotoxicity
      Different mechanism. Neuromod works through the trigeminal nerve. This other one works on vagus nerve. I believe studies showed that only tonal tinnitus saw improvement with vagus nerve stimulation...

• Agree Agree x 1
    10. matbrz

matbrz Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      AD's drug- Venlafaxine
      I rented it for a 3-month treatment. I'm ending my second month with no effect so far.

• Like Like x 1
    11. Jarvik

Jarvik Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2014
      I'm in the U.S., so I couldn't buy the Parasym device directly but I had an acquaintance in Australia buy it and hand it off to a family member who was vacationing in Australia at the time.

I did a three month course of treatment from about December 1 to the end of February and I believe it was effective in significantly helping my tinnitus. By that, I mean:
      • There were more, and lengthier, periods when my tinnitus was unnoticeable.
      • There were fewer, and shorter, periods when my tinnitus was distractingly at its worse.
      • The rest of the time, when the tinnitus was "just there," the tinnitus seemed to be more muted.
      Overall, I was very happy with the treatment.

I enjoyed this for about a month or so until my physician started me on EDTA chelation therapy (entirely unrelated to the tinnitus). As soon as I began the oral EDTA therapy, my tinnitus worsened to its pre-Parasym condition. I was crushed. I couldn't swear that it was the chelation therapy that did it but the timing was unmistakable.

I had loaned the Parasym to a friend by this time so I wasn't able to try it again until about a week ago when he returned it. I've resumed treatment and I believe it's helping again. The tinnitus seems to be lessening as I use the Parasym each day. I'm still on the chelation therapy, so it may be a case of the Parasym battling the effects of the chelation to keep the tinnitus at bay until the chelation therapy is finished.

The likely role of the chelation therapy notwithstanding, I'm very happy with what the Parasym did. I think the vagus nerve stimulation approach definitely has merit.

I don't spend a ton of time here on the forum, but if you have questions about my experience with the Parasym, I'll try to answer them. There were periods during the three months of therapy that my tinnitus seemed to be worse and times when it was amazingly improved. It was a bit of a roller coaster. I kept and open mind, though, and tried to stay as consistent as possible with my daily therapy.

• Like Like x 2
    12. Staceyyy

Staceyyy Member

Tinnitus Since:
      3/102018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      SSHL from a kiss on the ear
      Has anyone else tried this with any luck? I've considered purchasing it since you can't rent it in the US. I would hate to buy something so expensive only to receive no improvement. I have tinnitus in both ears, but hearing loss only in one. It seems to have spread to my other ear. Does anyone in the US have this device?

13. Piney

Piney Member

Tinnitus Since:
      March 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Shingles virus