Parasym — tVNS Device

Hello. Has Vagus Nerve stimulation been effective for you?

I would put it in the "inconclusive" category.
It seemed to help at first, but then I became unsure as time went on.

Honestly, it is worth a try since we all respond differently.
Tinnitus behaves very eratically and there seems to be no rhyme or reason to it, therefore it is hard to pin down if something is helping or not.

I stopped this treatment as it spiked my tinnitus and it didn't calm down in two weeks of use. I fear the timing is essential, playing music randomly while stimulating the vagus nerve didn't help me at all. I'm locked in a three months rental contract now but at least it was worth a shot.

Can I ask you if you used also the sound therapy or just the vagus nerve device? They used to offer a tailor made sound therapy, but now they only offer a standard sound therapy, the same for everyone. What is a little discouraging is that there seems to be no synchronisation between the sound and the vagus nerve stimulation. Signal timing is a key aspect in Neuromod, Michigan and Minnesota, so I am skeptical about this. However, if one rents it it's 100£ for 3 months, so relatively cheap. Perhaps the vague nerve part alone can do something?
The Parasym treatment that I did included their accompanying sound file. I believe that Parasym states that both the vagus nerve stimulation and the sound therapy are required for effective treatment.

I stopped this treatment as it spiked my tinnitus and it didn't calm down in two weeks of use. I fear the timing is essential, playing music randomly while stimulating the vagus nerve didn't help me at all. I'm locked in a three months rental contract now but at least it was worth a shot.

It spiked mine, too, at first, but then it settled down and by the time I finished the 90 days of treatment it was an overall dramatic reduction of tinnitus symptoms for me.

Effectiveness of transcutaneous vagus nerve stimulation for the treatment of tinnitus: an interventional prospective controlled study
Results said:
In general, subjective and objective measurements of tinnitus showed no improvement in the study group compared to the controls, although certain parameters as gauged by the questionnaires did statistically improve. The loudness and frequency of tinnitus remained the same in both groups. For the qEEG, activity in the theta band increased significantly in the study group compared to the control group.

Since Dr. Shore's device is still a couple of years away, I decided to try my luck with Parasym and ordered it. However, it seems I received a new, updated version of the device. There's no mention of sound files for tinnitus anywhere on the website or in the minimal documentation that comes with it.

I've been using it for a couple of days now, and apart from a slight body relaxation effect, I haven't noticed any changes in my tinnitus.

I'll report back later on my experience.

Since Dr. Shore's device is still a couple of years away, I decided to try my luck with Parasym and ordered it. However, it seems I received a new, updated version of the device. There's no mention of sound files for tinnitus anywhere on the website or in the minimal documentation that comes with it.

I've been using it for a couple of days now, and apart from a slight body relaxation effect, I haven't noticed any changes in my tinnitus.

I'll report back later on my experience.
One year later, how was your experience with Parasym?

Register

Register on Tinnitus Talk for free!

Register Now