Parents' Mental Illness Increases Suicide Risk in Adults with Tinnitus, Hyperacusis

Discussion in 'Research News' started by BrStan@, Aug 1, 2019.

1. BrStan@

BrStan@ Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
      This is where the money for research is going. Do you think that this kind of research is useful for someone?

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2019/07/190731102137.htm

Summary:
      A study is the first to examine the relationship between parental mental illness like anxiety and depression in childhood and the risk of suicide and self-harm in adults who suffer from tinnitus, noise or ringing in the ears, and hyperacusis, extreme sensitivity to noise. Results show that among patients seeking help for these debilitating hearing disorders, poor mental health in their parents was associated with suicide and self-harm risks across the life span in addition to their own current depression level.

• Good Question Good Question x 3
      • Like Like x 2
      • Genius Genius x 1
    2. AVIYT
      Wishful

AVIYT Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      January 2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Pregabalin
      Well, duh. Maybe it's not a total waste of money, for we do not understand all the circumstances... but it's not going to help those suffering.

• Like Like x 2
    3. annV
      Fine

annV Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown - possibly hereditary
      @Jazzer do I remember correctly you had a tough upbringing? What do you think of this study?

4. JohnAdams
      Festive

JohnAdams Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      May 1st 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Aspirin Toxicity/Possibly Noise
      The answer is no.

Think about it. This condition drives people to suicide. That is the problem. So instead of trying to solve the problem, so-called researchers are investigating the childhoods of sufferers. This helps us ZERO.

• Agree Agree x 14
    5. HootOwl

HootOwl Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Explanation in About You
      It is absolutely mind boggling to me that out of almost all medical afflictions tinnitus seems to be the only one where people seem hell bent on focusing research and grant money on everything but the affliction itself.

Can you imagine an ALS researcher dedicating time and the limited money they have available to something like this? That would be considered unconscionable but for tinnitus sufferers it’s par for the course. I mean, didn’t the BTA just assign their newest grant to a CBT style study that is in no way shape or form linked to any kind of curative medicine? It’s starting to feel actually disgusting...

All I can say is thank god for the handful of universities and research teams who are dedicating resources to investigating actual pharmaceutical candidates and pushing for real substances that can reduce or eliminate this horrid condition.

• Agree Agree x 15
    6. JohnAdams
      Festive

Tinnitus Since:
      May 1st 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
    7. JohnAdams
      Festive

Tinnitus Since:
      May 1st 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Seriously, why aren't more of us here learning about biology and physiology and trying to DIY this?

• Good Question Good Question x 3
      • Agree Agree x 1
    8. DaveFromChicago

DaveFromChicago Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Headcold/Flu
      Thanks BrStan@ for reporting this:

What an absurd boondoggling research project.
      There is an underlying cruelty here.

Is there an inherent assumption that since there is no effective treatment, let's see who has the mentality that will most easily collapse under such a stressful condition?

If you were predisposed to depression because of the circumstances of your upbringing, will tinnitus be the proverbial "straw that breaks the camel's back"?

If you agreed to participate in such a study, would you be questioned in such detail that your recall regarding your parent's depressive states would be unbearably aggravated?

And then consequently your own?

Why should such a gauntlet of remembered anguish be reactivated? To prove something that should be utterly, self-evidently obvious in the first place?

At the end, would the researchers say "you can go now - thanks for allowing us to you make you feel much worse" (and therefore increase the dangerous level of suicidal ideation).

The trillion ton elephant in the room - "Why isn't this money and effort going into finding an effective treatment?"

• Agree Agree x 3
    9. John Mahan

John Mahan Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      Nobody will let me perform brain surgery on them to test my hypothesis. ;)
      PS. ordered some Curcumin and hoping it helps. Thanks John.

• Like Like x 1
      • Funny Funny x 1
    10. Contrast
      No Mood

Contrast Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      late 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise injury
      Everything about me is a suicide statistic, no need to remind me.

• Hug Hug x 3
      • Like Like x 1
    11. jay777

jay777 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      benzo/ headphones
      At times I would.

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    12. tarmaced
      Wtf

tarmaced Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2004 (mild) 2018 (not so mild)
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infections, compounded by noise exposure
      I am, I'm building this as soon as my current project is done :)

13. JohnAdams
      Festive

Tinnitus Since:
      May 1st 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
    14. JohnAdams
      Festive

Tinnitus Since:
      May 1st 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      There are some of us with tinnitus so bad that they are contemplating executing themselves and these evil people are taking money to do tinnitus research on absurd topics that doesn't help anyone period.

If you're going to be involved in taking funds, especially government funds, for tinnitus research then you need to be a biomedical researcher that is trying to solve the problem, or else FUCK OFF.

• Agree Agree x 5
      • Winner Winner x 2
      • Like Like x 1
    15. Agrajag364

Agrajag364 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      That is true of many intractable non-fatal disorders, like ME, IBS, fibromyalgia. That’s what they do when it’s easier to investigate the psychosomatic associations than other potential root causes.

• Agree Agree x 2
    16. PeteJ
      Aggressive

PeteJ Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic trauma?
      Why was that allowed to be published in (I assume) a peer-reviewed public journal?

It's garbage. Any psychological or mental issues before tinnitus is irrelevant. Also, they are separate. Tinnitus is a physical problem and condition based on physical brain and ear properties. Any 'mental health issues' would be directly related to the physical changes i.e. the tinnitus tones or noises, ear issues e.g. fullness, pain, anything related etc. It has nothing to do with parents or childhood experiences. There might be mental issues with those but that's a different and separate thing. Tinnitus is a unique phenomenon regarding 'mental health.' It's a physical property causing the problem.

Researchers, governments and education departments can't "see" how a patient is suffering so it's easier to look at other things that are easier to study or attribute it to like someone here said.

17. Piney

Piney Member

Tinnitus Since:
      March 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Shingles virus
      Trump just forced them to put out Spravato for depression and load the trucks for the VA. Time for me to send some more Tinnitus cure letters over.

• Like Like x 2
    18. Autumnly
      Wishful

Autumnly Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise-induced
      Suicide, Self-harm Considerations in Holistic Audiological Care
      Schwartzer, Sarah BA; Parker, Mark PhD
      • This result suggests a statistically significant link between how loud individuals perceived their tinnitus and how likely they were to have had ideations of suicide and/or self-harm in the past two weeks.
      • The authors found statistically significant direct relationships between negative thoughts and the participants’ scores on the THI and HQ. Those with more severe scores on the THI were more likely to have had negative thoughts within the past two weeks.
      • The more an individual rated their tinnitus as detrimental to their overall quality of life, the more likely they were to have had negative thoughts in the past two weeks.
      I just hope the conclusion isn't going to be "Just tell patients their tinnitus isn't actually loud and that they just need to see it as a non-issue" but that we need to take individually perceived loudness seriously and need to find treatments that can reduce tinnitus loudness.

• Agree Agree x 2
      • Like Like x 1
      • Informative Informative x 1