People Who Are Tinnitus Sufferers, But Without Hearing Loss!

Discussion in 'Support' started by Ishank, Jan 30, 2014.

1. Ishank
      Wishful

Ishank Member

Tinnitus Since:
      22/12/2013
      I am doing some sort of research, I would like to know about those people who have T but no hearing loss.

How did your T started ? Were you under some stress/depression ?
      Did you had a history of ear infection before T ?
      Did you use to listen loud music ?
      Is your T loudness same as it was before ?

• Like Like x 2
      • Hug Hug x 2
    2. pef

pef Member

Tinnitus Since:
      3/16/2013
      .357 Magnum gunshot in an enclosed space. No other physical or emotional issues.

No history of ear infection. I did not listen to loud music. My T settled down a bit after three or four weeks and it's been the same ever since. My hearing is otherwise fine, up to about 8.5 kHz, were it drops off. I am not sure if that is due to the gun shot or due to natural loss over time.

• Hug Hug x 2
      • Informative Informative x 1
    3. Grace
      No Mood

Grace Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/14/2013
      Played drums with someone on guitar really really loud for probably 40 mins.. Was deff like over 105 db in there and not too big of a room. Left and right ear rang loudy afterwards.. Then my left ear stopped ( or went to almost nothing to what it is now) then my right ear continued to ring loudly for 48 hours then stopped ( and went to almost nothing) to what it has stayed at since then. If i plug my ears or in the quiet theres a faint quiet ring which im hoping might go away with time? But not expecting it too cause it hasnt yet. But also no hearing loss which the ent said i was soooo lucky cause first hour after exposure i had lot of hearing loss and was real sensitive to noise but it recorvered.

• Hug Hug x 1
    4. Grace
      No Mood

Grace Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/14/2013
      Oh and also ive always been anxious and i was on anti depressants and anxiety meds way before the T started with no problems.. So mine formed from loudass noise! And ive been playin drums loudly like that all my life with no issues just ringing afterwards only when someone plugged in a guitar 10 feet from my face and blasted it..but that would completly go away after ten minutes... But this time it got me!

• Hug Hug x 1
    5. Stina
      Psychedelic

Stina Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/13
      I always listened to loud music with headphones. However I remember that the vacuum cleaner was louder than the music I listened to. So it could may have been right on the border of dangerous (between 80-90 db). I never went to concerts, rarely went to clubs. I never had any ringing in my ears after listening to music. And a month before getting T i stopped listening to my Mp3.
      Before T i had a very stressful year and I remember being very anxious in the autumn. I never had an ear infection, but I did have a very local eye infection in my right eye before getting T (also the ringing is more noticable in the right ear). This only my theory, but I read in an article that the brains neurological activity is increased in the morning, but my ringing is more quiet in the morning and gets louder as I get tired and stressed (cold weather also aggrivates it, because it sucks the energy out of me). I remember going to the dentists in the morning before I got T so maybe the drill aggrivated it or smth. So I think in my case it could be a variety of reasons and if I have nerve damage I dont think it is very big. Probably has more to do with overly sensitive personality, week immune system and anxiety issues.

• Hug Hug x 2
    6. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Ishank
      Wishful

Ishank Member

Tinnitus Since:
      22/12/2013
      @Stina You are right. Loudness of traffic noise in my city is equivalent to the music that I use to listen on headphone. I use to listen music/podcast at 70-80% volume max. I never listened to music for hours.

My headset sensitivity is 110 dB/mW. Even if I listen to music at 75 % volume for hours it could be 82 decibels.

I believe there may be some other reason.

7. Stina
      Psychedelic

Stina Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/13
      Well it probably has more reasons:) I hope it doesnt really matter as well, i just hope there will be a treatment:)

8. LadyDi
      Busy

LadyDi Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Barotrauma/airplane
      Be aware that some of us may have tinnitus and have been told we have no hearing loss -- but only because we have had the basic test most audiologists do, which measures to about 8500 hz. I initially was told I had no hearing loss. But when I was enrolled and tested later at a university-based research clinic, with more sophisticated equipment, it was discovered I did have some small amount of loss in the higher frequency ranges.

My tinnitus was caused by barotrauma on a long-distance flight, due to an undetected sinus infection. But I had been under extreme work stress for the past three years, which I think was a contributing factor. No ear infection history, no major noise exposure, no history of anxiety or depression, rarely used headphones.

• Hug Hug x 1
    9. Boxdra

Boxdra Member

I don't understand the whole 'no hearing loss' thing. My docter said my hearing was better then most of my age. But everyone has hearing loss! Even if you just have a little bit, it could cause tinnitus. So:

- no one has no hearing loss
      - because everyone had hearing loss the cause can always be hearing loss
      - because the cause can always be hearing loss we will never know what the real cause was unless they prove the cause

• Agree Agree x 3
    10. Valentin

Valentin Member

Tinnitus Since:
      17/08/2013
      doctors test only 8 frequencies in an average out of 20000 the human ear can hear, that's why they always say the same thing...

• Like Like x 1
    11. dan
      Chatty

dan Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noise
      Researchers now agree that tinnitus is triggered in the brain, not the ears.
      For example, if you lost your hearing suddenly, your brain can mal-adapt and produce tinnitus.
      Stress and illness and some meds also affect our brain`s ability to adapt.
      My theory is that as we get older, we lose hearing gradually and our brains must constantly adapt, which it normally does. Tinnitus occurs when this mechanism fails - ie, maladaptation or negative plasticity.

• Like Like x 1
    12. Stina
      Psychedelic

Stina Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/13
      Well the adaption theory would explain acoustic trauma: the loss appears too fast and therefore the brain maybe doesnt adapt or smth. However since most adults have some hearing loss it maybe isnt really so important.

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    13. Saif
      Suicidal

Saif Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2013
      I don't go to concerts and don't listen to loud music. I thought tinnitus was normal to any one because I remember this sound in my head before when I be in a quit place, but after I had a blood pressure I searched about what does blood pressure cause then I found that this sound called tinnitus.
      I had a lesson that NEVER SEARCH ABOUT ANYTHING ON THE INTERNET.

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Helpful Helpful x 1
    14. Johno
      Dreaming

Johno Member

Tinnitus Since:
      6/07/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic trauma
      I still think, noise induced T is signal, comming from damaged nerve ends or hair cells (with damaged metabolism) and not brain hallucination.

• Agree Agree x 3
    15. dan
      Chatty

dan Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noise
      they also used to think that, until they cut the hearing nerves and tinnitus stayed or gotten worse.
      if cutting the nerve would cure tinnitus, a lot of people would prefer to do it.

• Agree Agree x 3
    16. missZZ
      Wishful

missZZ Member

Here are my answers.

A1: Stress surely yes. But I started hearing the T after attending a very loud concert.

A2: No infections.

A3: Yes, but it never seemed to bother me, and it was rather occasional.

A4:It seems to be in the same range but sometimes I feel like it's somewhat louder or quieter than usual.

17. missZZ
      Wishful

missZZ Member

Is there a way to test broader frequencies ?

18. Denny

Denny Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Jan 2013

There a people who are completely deaf without any tinnitus. Why does the brain
      send a signal to compensate for hearing loss in some people and not others?

• Agree Agree x 2
      • Good Question Good Question x 1
    19. Stina
      Psychedelic

Stina Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/13
      well I suppose if we knew that there would be no tinnitus:D

20. I who love music
      Cheerful

I who love music Member

Tinnitus Since:
      mid seventies
      Constant super loud music when I was a kid.
      No infections. No stress.
      Worse through the years. Always after loud sounds.
      A little hearing loss in one ear, not that I notice.

• Hug Hug x 1
    21. dan
      Chatty

dan Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noise
      yep

22. Carlo
      Balanced

Carlo Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2013
      1) It started one evening out of the blue and yes, I was under high stress
      2) No. Just a cold few days before the onset
      3) No
      4) It lowered weeks after the onset, and it remained at the same level

23. Raul
      Inspired

Raul Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2008
      1) just came out from no where! now im on tmj treatment though i hope it will work!
      2) no
      3) sometimes
      4) it's changing sometime it gets so loud specially when im under stress and other times it's quieter

24. gary
      Transparent

gary Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Who Knows
      I got T 3 months after a 4 way open heart surgery. Not sure if that was the cause of the onset though..

No
      No
      Yes

• Hug Hug x 1
    25. Valentin

Valentin Member

Tinnitus Since:
      17/08/2013
      yes , it's called an audioscan but i guess your ENT doesn't even know what it is :p he must still be on his 60's machine sending beeps at 8 different frequencies :p

• Like Like x 3
    26. missZZ
      Wishful

missZZ Member

:) in any case if they do find the missing frequency ... They will still be unable to do anything, as far as I'm concerned.

• Agree Agree x 1
    27. Valentin

Valentin Member

Tinnitus Since:
      17/08/2013
      you're totally right but at least, you'll know where you have cookie bites and the overall test will be more professional :)

• Like Like x 1
    28. missZZ
      Wishful

missZZ Member

Haha cook bites I love the expression. Well, you're right knowing is better than not being sure. I still am amazed that we thrive in the field of technology yet we have limited knowledge regarding human body. It seems that medicine can fix mechanical issues, but when it comes to circuits not so much ! :)

• Like Like x 1
    29. Johno
      Dreaming

Johno Member

Tinnitus Since:
      6/07/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic trauma
      Maybe it works only in damaged cochlea induced T, but no if T is comming from spinal nerves, or other no ear damage reason.

30. Nathaniel Teposo
      Anime

Nathaniel Teposo Member

Tinnitus Since:
      January 1, 2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced trauma
      i have no hearing loss but i have T, i think its the depression and stress make it loud.
      I also listen music with headphone but with the right volume and whats triggered my T is maybe the blast injury with the fire cracker that we with my friend lighted since new years celebration.
      But right now its quite and i can only heard it when i put my finger in my ear and when im in a very quite room.

Hope you doing fine right now dude,
      Best wishes to you...