People Who Are Tinnitus Sufferers, But Without Hearing Loss!

Discussion in 'Support' started by Ishank, Jan 30, 2014.

1. Jeff M.
      Breezy

Jeff M. Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Oct. 2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Idiopathic
      Gnarly Gary!!!

• Funny Funny x 1
    2. Jeff M.
      Breezy

Jeff M. Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Oct. 2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Idiopathic
      Ishank,

No idea how/what caused my severe chronic T?????

No loud music, no trauma, no stress. Just woke up one morning with it.

Has remained about the same high level of volume and high pitch ever since onset , with exception of a few wonderful spikes like I am experiencing now during a gnarly head cold!!

It just sucks!! But, I am habituating and getting on with life!!!

My dilemma, making sense of the Superbowl halftime show combining Bruno Mars and the Red Hot Chili Peppers??????

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Hug Hug x 1
    3. Haru
      Artistic

Haru Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2013
      1. It started one late night when I closed the laptop and got up to go to bed. I wasn't especially depressed or anything but I was on a strict diet which I'll probably regret for the rest of my life. I was around 47 kgs and I felt weak.
      2. As a kid I had a middle ear infection. But the right side of my body (T side) has always been inflamed. I don't know exactly why.
      3. When I was a teen, I listened with earphones. Not too loud though.
      4. I heard it more when it first started.

• Hug Hug x 1
    4. Stina
      Psychedelic

Stina Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/13
      Im afraid all tinnitus originates in the brain (eg. the brain getting confused and sending out false signals). Could be a variety of reasons but nothing has been proved for certain anyway. It is hardly unlikely that damaged nerves are sending out signals (they are not able to do that because they are damaged are have lost their sensory output). It is the neurons in the brain that creates the sounds, not the ear.

• Like Like x 1
    5. Johno
      Dreaming

Johno Member

Tinnitus Since:
      6/07/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic trauma
      Dont agree with you, Stina ;). In my opinion, damaged nerves can produce signals, because glutamate excitotoxicity - they have damaged metabolism. They were overstimulated (by acustic trauma for example), or poisoned by ototoxic drugs). And if not nerves, there is other theory - maybe is T comming from damaged, but not dead hair cells - same reason - chain reaction of glutamate overproduction. I :confused: cant confirm it of course, i am not expert, but True is, experts :pompus: cant confirm their theories too.

Of course, if someone has T from other reason, than cochle damage, this is other case. But those people hasnt hearing loss, their signal comms from squished nerve, or is produced in the brain (antidepressants usually changes chemical balance and this may be reason of T hallucinations)

Yes, of course, we hear it with brain. All we feel with brain eventually, hearing, vision, touches... but we need some input. You cant feel touch, if someone dont touch you. Some people are totally deaf, but dont have T. Why? Why their brain dont compensate loss of frequencies? And that is, why I cant believe theory of T memorizing. Because if is theory about T memorizing true, AM101 will be only "snake oil" cure and there is not hope for us.
      (y)

6. Stina
      Psychedelic

Stina Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/13
      @Johno woooh... you really know a lot about it;) maybe you should consider studying neurology :D
      However when I read the web page of Auris Medical: http://www.aurismedical.com/p/therapies/am_101.php then it says that:
      Would AM-101 work only in acute tinnitus?

The animal studies with AM-101 were performed in a model of acute acoustic trauma with treatment shortly after tinnitus onset. It seems likely that after some time centralization of tinnitus sets in (i.e. the brain "memorizes" the phantom sound), and a pharmacological treatment of tinnitus in the inner ear may no longer be possible. This question is the subject of much scientific discussion. In general, brain plasticity tends to be more rapid in the type of animals tested than in humans. In the phase IIb trial, AM-101 was still effective after 3 months.

So thats why I think that in time in chronic tinnitus it because a problem of the brain (maybe smth like the brain learning a new task and thinking that its doing a good job compensating the hearing loss). However I dont think by "memorizing" they mean that it will stay there forever. I think they just mean that it is not possible to change it via inner ear but needs other methods focusing on the brain. Also, as you can see know one knows when tinnitus becomes chronic. Therefore we dont know how long it would take before it becomes "chronic".

Here is an interesting article which I think explains the differences between chronic/acute tinnitus and also why AM101 is thought to suit better for acute t: https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/chronic-tinnitus-treatment-challenges.1620/

7. Johno
      Dreaming

Johno Member

Tinnitus Since:
      6/07/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic trauma
      :) thx.
      1. They wrote - Am-101 was still effective after 3 months. Now they are recruiting volunteers with T 3-12 months, because there is a potential. And then maybe will try 12+ months.

2. ...It seems likely that after some time centralization of tinnitus sets... - most important words in this sentence are "it seems likely" ;) - they are not sure.

3. About memorizing T - everything, what happens in the body has some reason. Pain, anxiety, clogged arteries... T is symptome, it shows, that something in our body is broken, or not in good condition. But T memorization, even after is body healed - why? What is reason of T memorization in brain? To make our lives harder?
      :beeranimation: ;)

8. Stina
      Psychedelic

Stina Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/13
      Hheh well I suppose know one knows what excactly goes on:)however even if am101 doesnt work on chronic tinnitus there are other methods coming for chronic t anyway:)

• Hug Hug x 1
      • Winner Winner x 1
    9. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Ishank
      Wishful

Ishank Member

Tinnitus Since:
      22/12/2013
      Your idiopathic condition is a total mystery to me. You are the one with 8-10 level T sound. No loud music, no ear infection. Nothing ! You've tried all kind of medicines available in the market.

I feel so sorry for you. I pray your problem will be cured someday automatically same as the way it was started (out of the blue)

10. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Ishank
      Wishful

Ishank Member

Tinnitus Since:
      22/12/2013
      Yes, it is quite possible. Sometimes, a T sufferer cannot locate, whether he/she is hearing sound in ears or in the head.

11. The_Chum_12
      Inspired

The_Chum_12 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
      1. My T started after a night at a loud club. I was under some depression/stress.
      2. I had tubes put in my ears when I was a kid, but no frequent ear infections after that.
      3. I didn't listen to loud music, but the music at the club was loud.
      4. My T increased after an incident with fireworks.

The first time, I didn't have any hearing loss, but I have another test coming up to see if that has changed or not.

12. DebS

DebS Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2013
      1. Just guessing, but I think my T started after dental work - 2 crowns in lower jaw. Work was very stressful also at this time.
      2. I've never had an ear infection.
      3. I never listened to loud music if I could help it, but sometimes couldn't avoid it at parties etc.
      4. My T seemed to grow gradually louder the first couple months and now seems to go back and forth. During an average week, I seem to have 2 "good" T days where it's fairly low, 3 medium days, and 2 bad days. I have no idea what the triggers are. Food doesn't seem to make a difference; stress does somewhat, altho sometimes I have a bad day on the weekend when I'd ordinarily feel pretty relaxed.

• Hug Hug x 1
    13. Stina
      Psychedelic

Stina Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/13
      Ive heard many times that tinnitus needs at least 2 of the 3 components to occur 1) stress 2) noise 3) some sort of physical condition (eg. even a cold I think). I think often it doesnt even need repeated loud noise - one time vould be enough.

14. Uri38

Uri38 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2015
      I know this is an old thread but I thought I would chime in.

Woke up one day around 3am and noticed a weird sound. Also noticed a still neck a day after and limited rotation in my neck.
      No history of ear infection, last ear infection age 18, now 38
      Did listen to loud music especially in my 20's. Hearing tests are normal.
      Varies and pitch can very at a times.

15. Uri38

Uri38 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2015
      Forgot to inlcude, yes I was very stressed out and depressed a few days before it happened.

16. Ricardo1991
      Tired

Ricardo1991 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      The world may never know..
      I have tinnitus in my left ear because I smacked myself after it started buzzing. Ah well; this sucks :(

17. Beste
      Disappointed

Beste Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/16/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Benzo/Clonazepam, Stress
      I also have no hearing loss but very very high pitched tinnitus in my head. It started with my benzo withdrawal 5 months ago.. It used to be only in my ear and very mild. But now I can hear it everywhere except in shower.