Perception of Increased Tinnitus Volume

Discussion in 'Support' started by monkey legs, Oct 31, 2018.

1. monkey legs

monkey legs Member

Tinnitus Since:
      1991 (Low level). Worse Dec 2017 to Now
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear injury (paintball) 1991. 2017 > Onwards Cause? Not sure.
      I just want to point out a rather obvious (at least to me) observation about tinnitus and its volume. Bear in mind we all have a base-line volume.

In the first months of tinnitus I was convinced the volume was getting louder. Being in such a poor psychological state, my objective reasoning was in the toilet.

I would just like to point out that the volume of your tinnitus is most likely related to the Level of sound, and type of sound around you (your environment).

If you are out walking in traffic, and then you go into the house - the perception is that the Tinnitus has increased in volume. It probably hasn't - its just the sound environment has changed completely.

Also the external sound environment and the pitch/frequency of the sounds around you can make you think your tinnitus has increased/changed in a bad way.

In my example I have very high frequency tinnitus. Therefore if the environment has mainly low frequency sounds, my tinnitus stands out on top of that. In all these cases the tinnitus has not changed at all, just our perception of it.

I mention this because although a small thing, it can make you think your tinnitus is "playing" up, when it isn't. So don't get into a psychological battle with this one, when you don't need to.

• Like Like x 1
    2. fishbone
      Shitfaced

fishbone Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      loud noise and very bad sickness
      It's not always the sound that does this. The stress can also add to it. I was in a restaurant yesterday and the db meter read 85db. My tinnitus, was louder than the noise in the restaurant. I did not pay attention to the loudness and simply enjoyed my meal. I left the restaurant and did not have a spike. I just let it go and had a good time eating food.

I was in the martial arts studio last week and the teacher had some ACDC on and I knew that the noise was too much for me. I wasn't able to measure the DB, but it was rock n roll and even low DBs of guitar music can bother me. So I told him to turn down the music or turn it off....

I didn't have a spike afterwards from that as well. Keeping yourself relaxed is crucial...

3. JohnAdams
      Festive

JohnAdams Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      May 1st 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Aspirin Toxicity/Possibly Noise
      There are nerveous system damage variables too dude. You have no authority to conclusively make these statements.

Humans put other humans on the moon 50 years ago and they still dont know everything about tinnitus, so please, hold your tongue. You dont know. Our best bet at this point is that fx322 works right and that cures SNHL which in turns cures shitnitus. If you known better then enlighten us. Or shove off.

4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      monkey legs

monkey legs Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Im not claiming to be an authority, just pointing out what I have personally observed to be true. All the best to you.

5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      monkey legs

monkey legs Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Yup being relaxed is good. Hard to do. As soon as someone says "relax" I tense up lol.

6. JohnAdams
      Festive

JohnAdams Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      May 1st 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Aspirin Toxicity/Possibly Noise
      I'm not even sure why I made this comment to you. I may have been trying to comment to someone else.

7. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      monkey legs

monkey legs Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      No problem ;o) :)