Physical Exercise and Tinnitus

Discussion in 'Support' started by Agrajag364, Jun 23, 2018.

1. Agrajag364

Agrajag364 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I could not see a specific thread discussing the role of physical exercise in reducing tinnitus so I'm starting one here, hope that's OK. I have created it in the "treatments" forum rather "alternative treatments" as physical exercise is an accepted mainstream treatment for various health problems and also there have been prior peer reviewed published papers on the association between exercise and tinnitus.

I have noticed that physical exercise reduces the volume of my tinnitus, usually for the rest of the day. 20 minutes of exercise can do this, but an hour of exercise appears to be more effective. This is moderate exercise- cycling, and swimming, not higher intensity stuff like fast running. I keep a careful diary of effects of various things on my tinnitus so I'm pretty sure of the association.

Have others noticed this effect? I'm just one person but thought it might be worth reporting this in case it helps anyone.

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    2. Michael B
      No Mood

Michael B Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      '11
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise Induced
      Running helps me in the long run but doesn't have that immediate effect as it seems to have for you. It's good that you discovered something that works :)

• Like Like x 1
    3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Agrajag364

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      • Agree Agree x 1
    4. Mattv
      Busy

Mattv Member

Tinnitus Since:
      September 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      I excercise a l0t, and very strenuously. The actual act of exercising makes it much worse, but I have somatic tinnitus. In my case, any bouncing action tends to aggravate it. Overall, however, excercise allows me to relax, sleep better, and have MUCH lower anxiety. This helps with everything, not just tinnitus.

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    5. kelpiemsp
      Swamped

kelpiemsp Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      birth/ recent spike 2/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Born with ETD, several acoustic traumas, most recently ETD
      I have noticed that long and faster cycling rides will definitely aggravate it. But that is always temporary and the net benefit is much greater as others have said. Running always lowers it a bit, for me.

• Like Like x 1
      • Informative Informative x 1
    6. Starthrower
      Wtf

Starthrower Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      January 2002
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Dental Surgery
      @Agrajag364

Oh yes the effects of exercise greatly improves my life and well being. Does it lower or affect my tinnitus? Not so much but losing that stress issue seems to calm me a bit.

I run everyday five miles at my gym. It is a routine thing for me. Early mornings I am out the door and off to run.
      I feel so much better afterward. On the days it seems impossible I do what I can and sometimes I get the five miles in and other times I just do what I feel I can do.

I also use this time to use my music therapy recordings while running on the treadmill.

• Like Like x 1
    7. Grantas
      Relaxed

Grantas Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Flu - Low Frequency SSHL
      As others have said, exercise helps in combating stress and therefore assists in that awful tinnitus / stress merry-go-round which we all get on from time to time. Good luck.

• Like Like x 1
    8. anusha
      Buzzed

anusha Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Nov 29 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Perforated eardrum
      For me days I do yoga it’s a bit soft than compared to days when I am lazy on the couch.

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    9. fishbone
      Shitfaced

fishbone Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      loud noise and very bad sickness
      Exercise should be the way of life for all. The benefits of 15-20 minutes of exercise 5 days a week, are too many to list.

By exercising we are reducing stress, distracting the mind from focusing on the tinnitus and making the heart/lungs stronger. I usually hit the gym 5 days a week and lift for 30 minutes and cardio for another 30 and I train in the martial arts for 4 days a week. After the workouts I simply do not have the energy, to listen or care for the intrusive and horrible tinnitus I face daily.

Exercise does a lot of positivity for the brain and body. Less stress could be the reason, why some may experience a lower tinnitus volume. My volume never changes, but the body and mind is more relaxed...

• Agree Agree x 2
    10. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Agrajag364

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I've got quite a number of other health problems that make exercise quite a challenge as I am always so tired. This is probably true for a number of other tinnitus sufferers. I find the apparent reduction in tinnitus to be a great motivation when I'm feeling ill in many ways to get out on my bike regardless

11. fishbone
      Shitfaced

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I can relate to your post. I suffer from fibromyalgia + arthritis. If I do not exercise, the muscles become stiff and more painful. Fatigue/exhaustion is a symptom of fibro, but i still push through..no matter how i feel. By doing this(exercising):

*It lowers the blood pressure
      *Makes the brain tierd and not focusing on the sound and tinnitus
      *Helps with cholesterol issues
      *Helps me sleep better
      *Can help with depression
      *Give more energy
      *Helps with my headaches

I cannot say enough about just how VITAL exercising is and how it can impact our lives in a positive way :)

• Like Like x 1
    12. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Agrajag364

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Go fishbone!

I really don't think that is the reason in my case. I don't notice the same immediate reduction with other activities that I find more relaxing

13. yonkapin

yonkapin Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      March 2012
      Exercise was crucial in my recovery from hyperacusis and in dealing with my tinnitus. I can't recommend it enough to anyone struggling on here and if you go through my post history I usually make a point to mention it.

It's amazing how much better I feel after rigorous exercise. There's never been a time where I've regretted going for a run, or heading to the gym to lift weights or do something like HIIT or martial arts.

• Like Like x 1
    14. dayma
      Pacman

dayma Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      1/6/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      UNKNOWN
      I am a long distance runner and usually run 7 days a week at about 10 miles a day minimum. I can't say that the activity lowers my T at all. What it does though is helps with the depression, as it's a natural serotonin release. This is why in some European countries you have to show continuous levels of exercise before they consider putting someone on ADs.

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • Helpful Helpful x 1
    15. daiso

daiso Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      My T often spikes after exercise, though not always, even just light walking on the treadmill. So exercising actually stresses me out. Does that happen to anyone else?

16. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Agrajag364

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      @dayma -interesting. If you don't mind me asking is that depression is a condition in and of itself or depression or something that has happened as a result of dealing with tinnitus?

17. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Agrajag364

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I have seen other people on this forum saying it spikes theirs as well

18. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Agrajag364

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Do you mean you think yoga makes it less?

19. Anselmo

Anselmo Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      1/14
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Aspirin
      When I exercise, I feel sense of accomplishment, knowing that I’m do something for healthy myself. As far as spikes, I haven’t noticed any.

20. emmalee
      No Mood

emmalee Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      ?
      Yoga is wonderful for relaxation and breathing technique. Both of these help me with my tinnitus and my overall health in general. If time is an issue then I would suggest doing yoga about an hour before bedtime, this may help with sleep.

• Agree Agree x 2
    21. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Agrajag364

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      A lady in my local support group says yoga reduced the intensity of her tinnitus

• Agree Agree x 1
    22. anusha
      Buzzed

anusha Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Nov 29 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Perforated eardrum
      yes yoga makes it softer for me.
      I have Tinnitus since 6 and half months I tried all the meds (ginko, neurozon, homeo, accupunture 3sessions)

Only things that makes T softer is yoga and chamomile tea for me.

I clearly see the difference since 2 months I have been going to yoga and the days I go yoga T is (soft). T is there but its not screeching sound which I have on other days when I do not do any yoga or breathing exercise. I think yoga makes me very calm and not react. Being 6+mo with T. My anxiety is dropped by 60-70% but I still have anxiety when I go to bed thinking Oh I can't sleep but when I workout (walk, yoga) I am tired and much calmer. I also try yoga nidra from youtube helps me with sleep.

I have a spike with my T since 2months and its screeching sound when I am in bed so I try my best to go yoga to help myself from having bad nights.

• Like Like x 2
    23. emmalee
      No Mood

emmalee Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      ?
      I have posted this video before, but here it is one more time. Doing yoga at home works best for me and this video, although more of a stretch, is wonderful. Anyone can follow along.

Yoga For Beginners - Gentle Full Body...

• Like Like x 1
    24. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Agrajag364

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I like how three of the men in this thread who like exercise have big muscly men as their profile pics. Welcome to the gun show! But you are all right that exercise is a bit of panacea. If it were a drug, they'd give it to everyone.

25. Mattv
      Busy

Mattv Member

Tinnitus Since:
      September 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      I like to suffer, so I guess tinnitus found me...

26. fishbone
      Shitfaced

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Exercise + Motivation are a way of life. Yes, I am trying to hook ALL OF YOU on them daily :)

PS- I chose my profile picture for one reason. I am taking a stand against tinnitus/negativity and I have my sword out and ready to kick tinnitus where the sun don't shine :)

I will go to battle with tinnitus and protect my fellow tinnitus family on TT....

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • Winner Winner x 1
    27. Lilah
      Mellow

Lilah Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Does yoga worsen somatic tinnitus?

28. dnl
      Wishful

dnl Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Dec 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Wellbutrin/Bupropion
      I'm pretty sure that exercise has helped me with my tinnitus.
      I started exercising regularly after my tinnitus onset.
      Initially, exercise made me temporarily "more aware" of the tinnitus signal in my brain... I don't think it was actually a spike, I think it was just me being more aware of my body, my pulse, my breathing, etc.
      After a year or so, I think I can say that exercising has helped me sleep more deeply and has regulated my stress, which, in turn, has probably been somewhat responsible for my tinnitus getting a little better.

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Informative Informative x 1
    29. Striveon

Striveon Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Does it go down to baseline?

30. Tweaker
      Transparent

Tweaker Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure
      Yes, I did some pretty vigorous cardio yesterday and my tinnitus went through the roof. Still dreadful today. Could it be to do with increasing blood pressure, heart rate, etc. Seriously affected my tinnitus in bad way. I have exercised in past with only a slight increase in T but this was more intense exercise. Do others have this?