Pimozide for COVID-19 Induced Tinnitus

Discussion in 'Research News' started by InNeedOfHelp, Aug 23, 2022.

1. InNeedOfHelp

InNeedOfHelp Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      MRI Scan
      • Like Like x 3
      • Informative Informative x 1
    2. OptimusPrimed
      Spaced

OptimusPrimed Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2007
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma - Repeated gun blasts
      Doubt. I’m just believing it will fail so I’m not disappointed any more. Tinnitus since 2007.

• Agree Agree x 1
    3. Nick47

Nick47 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Viral/noise
      I'm like you, I don't know, does anyone, what the pathology of COVID-19 induced tinnitus is?

Some have hearing loss and some no measurable hearing loss.

Seems like a stab in the dark, however, as I write this, I am about to open the link.

4. Erik.Swe

Erik.Swe Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Concert
      I wonder if it’s the same mechanism if you get tinnitus after the COVID-19 vaccine or after a COVID-19 infection? The tinnitus sound in my right ear (which I’ve had for at least 10 years and that never bothered me since I could only hear it when going to bed in a quiet room) suddenly got worse in September last year, 4 weeks after the second vaccine dose. I can’t find any other reason for the worsening than the vaccine. The tinnitus sound comes and goes. It can be totally gone for hours and then suddenly it comes back. I can also make it disappear by pressing a finger in the ear. As soon as I remove the finger the sound returns though.

Hopefully this medicine will help for me as well.

5. chinup

chinup Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music
      I definitely got much worse a week after my first dose of Pfizer. My tinnitus went from manageable to catastrophic levels. I’ve recovered a fair amount since then but nothing like it was before. I’m assuming the damage is done; I can’t think it would any different than noise damage... the hair cells are probably fried. Hopefully I’m wrong...

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Hug Hug x 1
    6. Stayinghopeful

Stayinghopeful Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2022
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      How long did it take for you to see improvements?

7. Frédéric

Frédéric Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      11/19/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic trauma
      "Tinnitus persists for at least 4 weeks"

But there is no maximum limit of duration.

8. chinup

chinup Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music
      A solid 9 months but it still spikes frequently and gets just as bad as it was. It’s just not constant 10/10 hell. Plus, I’ve habituated.

Sometimes it gets very quiet, around 2/10, and I don’t notice it until I lay my head down at night to go to sleep. Other times like right now it’s pretty loud. Just seems completely random...

9. Erik.Swe

Erik.Swe Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Concert
      Isn’t it a little strange that both you and I experience changes in loudness from days to days? I also have it bad some days and times, and totally gone some times. Like tonight when I woke up it was totally gone, but during the day it’s back. Noise induced tinnitus is more often constant? Isn’t it? It feels strange that the tinnitus can be totally gone for some time if the damage was chronic and the hair cells were killed from the vaccine?

10. DimLeb

DimLeb Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Idiopathic Cochleopathy or Maybe Loud Music
      I can't help much on that, but I believe tinnitus isn't directly connected to the damage in the ear. More like it's the reaction of some brain parts to the damage. So, as the brain changes its activity throughout the day/week/month etc, so can change tinnitus itself, while the damage stays the same. That's why most people don't ever get tinnitus, no matter how much they damage their ears.

• Like Like x 1