Pink Noise Suddenly Annoys Me

Discussion in 'Support' started by RudyL90, Dec 27, 2016.

1. RudyL90

RudyL90 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Anxiety disorder
      I mask my tinnitus with pink noise following the principles of TRT during daytime, using my earbuds. Earlier I found pink noise a blessing, since yesterday it suddenly annoys me and I do not know why. Anyone else experienced this before?

I am not sure what to do, the masking sound is still better than listening to my T. Maybe it's better to find a sound that doesn't annoy me and start over with habituating to that masking sound?

2. Michael Leigh

Michael Leigh Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      @RudyL90 Using Pink or White noise through headphones or earbuds is not a good idea in my opinion.

1. The Pink noise or white noise must not mask the tinnitus. In other words the Pink noise must be set
      below the tinnitus. This isn't usually achieveable with headphones or earbuds, that is why proper white noise generators are recommended for this kind of therapy.
      2. If you are new to tinnitus and decide to try white noise generators then you should be having counselling with a hearing therapist otherwise the treatment isn't likely to work
      Michael

• Informative Informative x 1
    3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      RudyL90

RudyL90 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Anxiety disorder
      Hi Michael,

I have tried tinnitus maskers (hearing aids with tinnitus function), but they lacked bass + the volume was not adjustable. My audiologist tells me that using earbuds is the best solution for me. I do not use earbuds with those rubber thingies: environmental sounds still come through.
      And yes, I set the masking sound below the T. As I said: following the principles of TRT. I am well aware of how it works. And I do not see (neither does my audiologist) what the problem is with using earbuds. Why is it not achievable with earbuds to set the sound below the T? I can tweak the sound much more accurately than with those useless hearing aids.

4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      RudyL90

RudyL90 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Anxiety disorder
      I just noticed the negative tone of my message, sorry for that. I am a little frustrated. I highly appreciate you commenting on my message. :)

5. Michael Leigh

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      @RudyL90
      Hi Rudy, I have had TRT twice in 20 years with good results. I do not agree with your Audiologist. Using earbuds is not as good as proper white noise generators. For a start they are not practical as there are dangling wires connected to them and to the device that you are using to generate the sound. The pink or white noise needs to be delivering sound into the ear up to 10hrs a day and using a sound machine at night for sound enrichment. As you know one of the most important part of TRT is the tinnitus counselling; if you are not getting this the treatment wont usually work. The treatment lasts up to 2 years.
      Michael

• Informative Informative x 1
    6. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      RudyL90

RudyL90 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Anxiety disorder
      What is there to counsel if I have read the book and fully understand TRT?
      Why is it up to 10hrs? I did not read about this in the book.

7. GregCA
      Jaded

GregCA Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otosclerosis
      I don't see why the earbuds would be a problem either.
      Some of the advice you are going to get is a bit dogmatic. I suggest you take whatever advice with a grain of salt (unless you have Endolymphatic Hydrops or Meniere's, in which case you should probably ask your doctor before scarfing down any grain of salt).

8. Michael Leigh

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      @RudyL90 I have had TRT treatment others that comment on it haven't. Please read my article: Tinnitus, A Personal View, then you will have a better understanding of how important counselling is. It's not as simple as you might think. Click on my Avatar and choose started threads. You will see my article there and other posts relating to TRT treatment and the use of counselling.
      However, it is your choice.
      Best of luck
      Michael

• Like Like x 1
    9. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      RudyL90

RudyL90 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Anxiety disorder
      @GregCA Exactly. In the end it is most important that I find a method of masking that suits me best. My ears are perfectly fine. The T is result of an anxiety disorder. Therefore I see no reason why not to use earbuds.

@Michael Leigh I have read your long post some time ago now. It is a great overview of all the possible treatments one could consider when having T/H. You do not go into depth regarding TRT. I have read Jastreboff's book and know how it works. I am a physics student and did not have any difficulty understanding TRT. The only thing that can still help me is psychological support whenever I feel bad. And that's why I go to a psychologist, who I have learned the principles of TRT.