Playing the Piano After Hyperacusis Is Treated

Discussion in 'Support' started by victoria9273, Jan 22, 2018.

1. victoria9273
      Amused

victoria9273 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Hyperacusis since 2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Use of earbuds
      Hello! I want to discuss about playing musical instruments.
      Accoustic pianos are really loud but it doesn't affect one's hearing. People play the instrument every day and for hours of practice is absolutely fine. It's usually the use of Earphones, headphones and loud speakers that hurt musicians hearing.

But what about playing the piano after the hyperacusis is, say, 80 percent cured? Would a person's ear stand such noises and play every day? Or do you think a damage once done lasts forever and therefore playing it is dangerous?

2. GregCA
      Jaded

GregCA Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otosclerosis
      It's a bit ironic, but headphones are the tool that can actually protect your hearing from a loud acoustic instrument. I use them on my drums because they allow me to keep the volume low.

You can easily find electronic pianos and use the same strategy.

Note that a piano, unless played "fortissimo", isn't supposed to be that loud. Acoustics of the piano itself and the room makes a difference too: upright vs grand piano open, reflections on a wall if the piano is against it, etc...

Nobody can answer this question with any certainty. I can only tell you my anecdotal evidence (a sample of one): after my ear surgery my H greatly diminished. I waited about a couple of months before reintroducing headphones, and slowly started gaming on the Playstation and playing my drums again. It's been almost 2 years. I haven't felt any discomfort or had any problem yet. I do ensure that the volume is not loud though, and I'm pretty disciplined about it.

This regimen was recommended by my neurotologist who did my surgery. So far he's been right on all accounts regarding my hearing, from the diagnosis on.

Good luck.

• Like Like x 2
    3. PaulBe

PaulBe Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Probably sound, though never proven
      Living as I do in the tropics, most of the homes have tiles and concrete block construction. This makes the piano obscenely loud unless you carpet or otherwise cover the wall or floor. Sometimes I wonder if my own piano playing at home was already affecting me over time without me realizing it.