Plucky's Life

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Plucky, Mar 25, 2013.

1. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Plucky

Plucky Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/12/13
      I hang on to all of it , all of your encouragement. How is it that we deserve any of this, I am sorry to read what you wrote, now sorry for both of us. You find quickly that some people have no compassion, its a surprise when you see it first hand, and a disappointment. I could go into detail about the reception I've received from certain family members. My dad is still telling people I have a "pain in my ear" if you can believe that in spite of me dropping off ATA pamphlets for him to read explaining everything and my sister has not called once either. The nurse just called the dr wants me to try Aldavan (I think she said) and see how that works and get back to them so I am going to walk and get that now. I think your plan is a good one. I just fret over the drugs more than you do. I want to be happy again, somehow, Aldavan is the next step , drs appointments coming up, and if I get the car sold I'll have enough money to float the boat a little longer
      Frank

2. Louise

Louise Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      29/06/2012 worsened Jan 2017 & Dec 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure
      Well, good luck with the Aldavan. I cant find that one on the net. Let us know how you get on.

3. just1morething
      Benevolent

just1morething Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      TMJ disorder, airplane barotrauma, noise exposure.
      Probably Ativan, I would guess. That is the Benzo I wanted to try.

4. Markku
      Inspired

Markku Founder Staff Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Syringing
      Ativan... which is Lorazepam.

Lorazepam has relatively potent anxiolytic effects and its best-known indication is the short-term management of severe anxiety; the FDA advises against use of benzodiazepines such as lorazepam for longer than two to four weeks.[14][16] It is fast acting, and useful in treating fast onset panic anxiety.[17]

Lorazepam has strong sedative/hypnotic effects, and the duration of clinical effects from a single dose makes it an appropriate choice for the short-term treatment of insomnia, in particular in the presence of severe anxiety. It has a fairly short duration of action.[18] Withdrawal symptoms, including rebound insomnia and rebound anxiety, may occur after only seven days' administration of lorazepam.[19]

That's from Wikipedia.
      Plucky, I would ask your doctor about Klonopin (Clonazepam). It has way longer half-life than Ativan (Lorazepam) and doesn't cause dependency/tolerance as fast as Ativan.
      That doesn't mean you could continue taking Klonopin indefinitely, but for the start it could be good. Klonopin isn't as fast-acting as Ativan, but the effect of one pill last longer.

There's the choice of Lyrica (Pregabalin) too. I faintly remember you've been informed of this drug. It doesn't cause tolerance the same way normal benzodiazepines do.

If I were you, I would probably want to start with Klonopin and then add Lyrica, while tapering off Klonopin. Probably a 1-3 week use of Klonopin would be good and then switch to Lyrica. Ok, I don't mean to come off as sounding like a doctor, so ask your doc what they think of this.

I wouldn't use Ativan for a week or more continuously. You will be in big trouble if you get addicted to a benzo, and many do... so you might want to take the safe way.

And this is pretty much what worked for Louise.

Saddens me how your family won't understand what you're going through. It doesn't surprise me though... for other people it can be really hard to understand how much tinnitus can affect a person. Even when they are handed all the pamphlets. I don't know if there are an ATA support group gathering in your area, but if you would like to meet people in real life who have tinnitus, that is one possibility and maybe worth looking into.
      Well, we are here for you always though!

Markku

5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Plucky

Plucky Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/12/13
      Wonderful, "rebound insomnia" It is Ativan I didn't hear her right, So I read the literature and it sounds like this will take me down the same road but with even more troubling consequences. I was on Klonopin the last two weeks and couldnt wake up from it was wasted on the couch for hrs the next morning. I am afraid of this but will try it tonight because after two nights without sleep I have to do something. Has anyone tried Nyquil (night time liquid cold medicine)? I have to go after Lyrica somehow. The doctor at Jefferson said I would have to make an appointment with a neurologist for it. I was trying to avoid another doctor bill. There does not seem to be too many options. I guess it is important to go this route at first. I would assume, ultimately, you dont want to stay on any of it

6. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Plucky

Plucky Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/12/13
      I met with the ATA support group. It was mostly world war two vets, nice guys, but seemed more concerned with watching memory skill videos than actual support. I waited a month to meet them and went there hoping somebody would give me a hug but ended up going home without one. They were really keen on what neuromonics was all about and hearing about my trip to Phila. to learn it. I promised I would return with literature and a story. and I will

7. Louise

Louise Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure
      I feared you'd heard wrong and it was Ativan. Why is your doctor so keen to give you Benzos and not let you try an antidepressant which is great for sleeping (ie. Remeron)?Its a no-brainer!
      My doctors here wont prescribe Benzos. I got mine for a try to see if it reduced the noise as I pleaded with the doc. He didnt really want me to have them.

They stop working after a time, they do. So why wont they let you have something that doesnt stop working ie. Pregabalin & Remeron? Actually with Pregabalin I think I remember reading on Wiki that its licensed for anxiety in Europe but not the US. Maybe thats why with that one drug. Im sure a shrink would prescribe it for you, 'off-label'. They know the best drugs and they are not scared to prescribe them.

Well, hope it does something for you for tonight at least but he's done you no favours!

8. just1morething
      Benevolent

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I am on the old "gold standard" Gabapentin + Klonopin for T. The Gabapentin is supposed to magnify the Klonopin effects. Gold standard might be a little strong , but it is what Dr. Shulman in NY recommended. Lyrica is a newer version of Neurontin (gabapentin) and may be better, but is still under patent, so much more expensive. Everyone might have a different opinion on which drugs to use.

9. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Plucky

Plucky Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/12/13
      Wow, now confusion sets in. I don't know if I want to even touch this Ativan. So there is an issue with price with Lyrica along with finding someone to prescribe it. I like the idea of a challenge. I will try my psychiatrist first then try a neurologist I guess. Xanax gradually didnt seem to work and actually seemed to exacerbate the T before I stopped eating it.

10. just1morething
      Benevolent

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Confusion indeed Frank. I was just being frank, Frank. I had a frank, Frank for a noon meal but was high in sodium so may aggravate my T.

11. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Plucky

Plucky Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/12/13
      I, really, after reading through these again, don't know what I will end up doing tonight . I dont eat frank franks . Are you sure about the sodium thing? I am trying to buy foods with less than 400 mg per serving, not so easy to find though

12. Markku
      Inspired

Markku Founder Staff Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Syringing
      Oh shoot, Xanax is the WORST! If I'm not wrong, it's the first or second of all benzos to build up tolerance first. Yes, there is some evidence it might help tinnitus (the "Jack Vernon Protocol"), but I wouldn't touch it unless absolutely necessary... "no other way out".

In Finland it's near impossible to find a doctor who will prescribe Xanax (goes by the name Xanor here). Truth be told, for Ativan it's almost as hard. Regular anxiety or panic attacks aren't a reason good enough for these, unless first everything else has been tried and deemed fruitless. I guess it's good in some way (to avoid people getting addicted), but if a person is desperate and truly needs a benzo, then it's a nightmare for them to get it prescribed.

The docs in the US seem to be very different!

But since you've already tried Xanax, I would forget about Ativan right about now.

Really shoot for the Remeron (for sleep) and Lyrica combination if possible. Not sure if you need the Klonopin first, but these three are probably your best bet.

Getting good amount of sleep is the number one thing for you now. Improvements will follow after that.

D3i22T9.jpg

• Like Like x 4
    13. Louise

Louise Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure
      I think Clonazepam is the most superior of the Benzos. Dont know why he's just substituted another Benzo. Clonaz is 'long-acting' ie. it take about 4 hours to reach peak, Ativan is short-medium acting. So the doc might be thinking itll have more of a knocking out effect. But then why not just prescribe Temazepam? What's up with this guy, why wont he prescribe Remeron for you?

Pregabalin is still in patent, as Dale says. I had to get my privately as the doc was being a PITA and it cost £108 for a months supply. The pricate Psych wrote a letter to the docs about what I need, no problem now getting it free on the NHS.

Even though I sound very pro-drugs Im not. If there was a natural supplements way Ive taken it in the past. But with this I couldnt function, I had no choice. I dont want to take them for life. If I can get a proper grip on T and start habituating then those drugs will be tapered off and gone.

14. Louise

Louise Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure
      Agree with Markku 100%.
      I've heard people say that when they are on Xanax they crave their next dose. its very short-acting - has a short half-life and so keeps needing to be topped up. I read one guy got 2 hours help from it and then was craving his next dose for a few hours.

Remeron for sleep (and anti-depressant, which its supposed to be excellent for in a high enough dose) and Pregabalin for anxiety. Thats my prescription for you!!

15. Louise

Louise Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure
      Its lovely that written note Markku.

16. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Plucky

Plucky Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/12/13
      I wont be able to get those till after the weekend so I have to decide what to take if any next three nights. I want no part of Xanax and if Ativan is the same deal only quicker why bother? That leaves me with clonaz, cold medicine (w/alcohol) or both or neither. Help

17. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Plucky

Plucky Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/12/13
      It's better they don't give them out like they do here Markku they are heavily abused here. Thanks for the note

18. Karen
      Talkative

Karen Manager Staff Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      First time: Noise 2nd Time: Ototoxic drug
      Frank,

In the interim, how about a natural supplement for sleep, like melatonin? Have you ever tried it? It is also supposed to help (gradually) with tinnitus. I take a natural supplement for sleep that has melatonin and valerian root in it. You could try that to get you through the weekend. It's very subtle, and you have to take it about an hour or so before bedtime, but it does work.

19. Louise

Louise Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure
      I'd go for Clonaz one night, drink the next (not toooo much), then Clonaz the third if you need it. Clonaz has a long half-life and so it will give you relaxation the next day too (it did me). What dosage do you have?

Melatonin can work too, it doesnt have the power of the drugs of course. Its a powerful antioxidant too so thats good all round.

20. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Plucky

Plucky Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/12/13
      The melatonin and valerian didn't work for me, not strong enough but I would rather take one or the other of those. I took the cold medicine last night knocked me out almost instantly but left me feeling weird this morning, unable to get up. My clonaz is 0.5 MG, It's like I'm test driving these things. I slept 5 or 6 hrs which is better than 2-3.

21. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Plucky

Plucky Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/12/13
      Did anyone see the Phillip Roth show last night on PBS? He talked about writing of course but also about his back pain and addiction. That is what made me decide against the pills last night

22. Karen
      Talkative

Karen Manager Staff Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      First time: Noise 2nd Time: Ototoxic drug
      Glad you slept last night; that's good news! I certainly do understand about being cautious about taking drugs. It was a blood pressure drug that caused my severe tinnitus to begin, so I am really wary of drugs, and am mostly taking natural supplements now. Natural supplements are subtle, and sometimes they aren't strong enough to overcome the really bad insomnia caused by tinnitus!!

I didn't see the show about Phillip Roth on PBS; sorry I missed that. He is one of my favorite authors; I didn't know he suffered from back pain.

I hope you are able to find a balance of drugs or other supplements that work for you. We all wish you the best!

23. just1morething
      Benevolent

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Plucky, a website you might want to look at if you haven't before.
      http://www.tinnituscenter.com/

24. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Plucky

Plucky Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/12/13
      Wow I just spent a half hr. reading through all of that. It seems like they are working on something, gives me hope. I'm not too far from NY eother. What is your opinion of it?

25. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Plucky

Plucky Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/12/13
      I think PBS might have an archive of shows, not sure. They showed his house (in Connecticut) He writes standing up, walks around. it was a really interesting profile and made me want to read more of his books. I have only read two but loved them both. I am unable to read now and I really miss it

26. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Plucky

Plucky Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/12/13
      Where did you go how do I contact you?

27. just1morething
      Benevolent

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I never actually been there but did talk to Dr. Shulman a couple times. Dr Shulman is semi retired and did not really want new patients. There may be others that took over for him, that I don't know. Dale

28. Louise

Louise Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure
      I got your PM so I guess you worked it out! I have replied to that :)

29. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Plucky

Plucky Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/12/13
      I've got appointment for the tests at Jefferson hospital on the 29th and I will compare it to what they offer in Brooklyn. I think you have to be careful or youll spend tons of money, maybe wasted. T is so loud today I think from alcohol. I'll probably reach for the Clonaz tonight

30. dan
      Chatty

dan Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noise
      Does your T fluctuate Plucky?
      How has this affected your day to day life?