Poll: Does Intrusive Tinnitus Mean Loud Tinnitus to You?

Discussion in 'Support' started by TheDanishGirl, Aug 10, 2017.

?

Does Intrusive Tinnitus Mean Loud Tinnitus to You?

1. Yes

2. No

Results are only viewable after voting.
    1. TheDanishGirl
      Sad

TheDanishGirl Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2017 (H since 06/2017)
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      long term noise exposure (headphones), maybe some stress.
      Okay, I have been looking around the forum this evening, and there is something I am quite confused about now.

What does it mean if tinnitus is intrusive?? Because I can understand from some members that they believe intrusive tinnitus = loud tinnitus, which is not my personal opinion.

I would say I have intrusive tinnitus meaning that it is intrusive in most of my daily activities, like I can hear it when I am watching TV, listening to music, walking outside when the weather is calm and there are not many cars....settings where I can't hear mine includes: the shower, a running faucet and noisy traffic.

But still I would call mine intrusive but NOT loud....it really isn't loud in volume I feel, but it is just a bad high pitched frequency, that can be heard above most other sounds.

I would say I have tinnitus ranging from mild to mild/moderate but that it is intrusive. Am I wrong with the term intrusive, cause if it really means loud, then I do not have intrusive tinnitus.

I have created a poll on this as I would really like to know peoples opinion about this.

• Hug Hug x 1
    2. Sam Bridge

Sam Bridge Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music/gigs probably
      Well it's not black and white, it seems you have mildly intrusive tinnitus. It may not be loud but it's there in the background. This is what I have.

• Like Like x 1
    3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      TheDanishGirl
      Sad

TheDanishGirl Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2017 (H since 06/2017)
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      long term noise exposure (headphones), maybe some stress.
      Yes, maybe you are right and it isn't just a quastion of intrusive or not intrusive, but more how intrusive, and yes I agree that i probably have somewhat mild intrusive T (on bad days moderate intrusive T maybe?)

4. Michael Leigh

Michael Leigh Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      You have asked a good question @TheDanishGirl. I use those words in some of my posts: loud and intrusive. My interpretation of it is similar to yours. When I say tinnitus is loud and intrusive or my tinnitus can be loud and intrusive, I want to emphasise that the condition is overbearing to the point of being debilitating. I am unable to do or feel like doing anything.

Although no one can know what another person is feeling because no two people experience tinnitus the same. In the early days when I had tinnitus, I could hear it everywhere just like you, and yes, I would considered it loud and intrusive. However, with time I habituated. When I did hear my tinnitus like I do now sometimes: either mild or moderate it doesn’t bother me in the slightest.Although when I was a newbie I would have considered it loud and intrusive.

Once the brain learns to no longer see tinnitus as a threat, it accepts the tinnitus and ignores it. Habituation does have its limitations though. I have variable tinnitus. So when it is completely silent, mild, or moderate I have no problem with it and can go about my daily affairs. When it is severe I can manage with it for a couple of days. Any longer or an increase in severity I need to take my clonazempam which usually calms it or reduces it to complete silence.

Michael

• Informative Informative x 2
      • Like Like x 1
    5. Sean

Sean Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01-01-2011
      @Michael Leigh...Thank you once again for writing such an informative post. I am sure so many members are benefiting from your posts. You are really doing a good service for all T sufferers.

• Agree Agree x 2
    6. Michael Leigh

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      Thank you for your kind words @Sean Sandra has done good by starting this poll, as it's something that I never really thought about in depth: tinnitus loud and intrusive. It would be interesting to hear other members thoughts on this.

All the best
      Michael

• Like Like x 1
    7. glynis
      Feminine

glynis Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      Tinnitus for me is very intrusive as hear it over everything and I work really hard to stop it taking over my day and causing unwanted emotions.

My tinnitus is due to Menieres and will never go away and hearing will get worse.
      My ears and Asthma are a part of me and will never go away.
      I know what makes me happy and even though I might have to re schedule plans due to health reasons I won't let them control my life or take my smile or laugh away of let it stop me having fun....
      Love glynis x

• Hug Hug x 5
      • Like Like x 2
      • Creative Creative x 1
    8. Sonic17
      Wishful

Sonic17 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      ? neck injury/unknown
      @Michael Leigh Hi Michael, thank you for the post. If Clonazepam is that helpful, why wouldn't you take it more often?

9. GregCA
      Jaded

GregCA Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otosclerosis
      Never say never! I read about some drugs in the pipeline targeted at Ménière's. Its name escapes me at the moment, but it was in one of the reports of the usual pharma suspects.

• Like Like x 2
    10. threefirefour
      Peeping tom

threefirefour Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      5/15/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      140dB B R U H moment
      I saw something too. It made progress last week too, I really hope that it goes through and cures Menieres, even though people like Glynis, not me will benefit from it.

• Like Like x 2
    11. Michael Leigh

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      Hi @Sonic17

My tinnitus naturally fluctuates from complete silence, mild moderate and severe. If clonazepam is taken too often the body quickly habituates to it and the drug no longer has any effect and has to be increased. Under these circumstances a person can become addictive to this medication and it can have unpleasant side effects. For this reason, it's best not to take clonazepam/ Rivotril to often and regulate the does and only take it when the tinntus is very intrusive. My ENT consultant advised me.

Hope this helps.
      Michael

• Helpful Helpful x 1