Poll: For Females — Does Your Tinnitus and/or Hyperacusis Spike During Your Menstrual Cycle?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Lovely507, Jan 4, 2019.

?

Does your tinnitus and/or hyperacusis spike during your menstrual cycle?

1. Yes, always, my tinnitus spikes

2. Yes, always, my hyperacusis spikes

3. Yes, always, both my tinnitus and hyperacusis spike

4. Yes, sometimes, my tinnitus spikes

5. Yes, sometimes, my hyperacusis spikes

6. Yes, sometimes, both my tinnitus and hyperacusis spike

7. I never experience spikes during my menstrual cycle

8. I'm a male but want to see the results

Results are only viewable after voting.
    1. Lovely507

Lovely507 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection
      Hello Tinnitus Talk members! I’m new here, and I have a very important question... My question is (for females only):

Does your tinnitus and hyperacusis spike during your menstrual cycle?

If reading this thread, please respond ASAP. Thank you! :)

• Good Question Good Question x 1
    2. Fally
      Bookworm

Fally Member

Tinnitus Since:
      6 years
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      no sure
      Yep, mine did last month and I couldn't figure out why until I put two and two together.

3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Lovely507

Lovely507 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection
      Do you mean your Tinnitus or Hyperacusis, or both Hyperacusis and Tinnitus? And thank you for the reply. ❤️ @Fally

4. Fally
      Bookworm

Fally Member

Tinnitus Since:
      6 years
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      no sure
      Both. I noticed my tinnitus went up but also I felt a little bit more sensitive to sound. I believe it's the hormones honestly playing havoc. I remember one of my doctors said to me hormones can spike it so be aware.

• Agree Agree x 1
    5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Lovely507

Lovely507 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection
      @Fally,
      Thanks so much for the reply. I’ve been having a hard time these past few days, before and during my cycle. My Tinnitus and Hyperacusis spiked, but now I’m pretty sure this is the reason causing it to spike. Again thank you so much and I hope all is going well for you.

6. Fally
      Bookworm

Fally Member

Tinnitus Since:
      6 years
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      no sure
      You're welcome, mine took a bit to come down even after my cycle so just be aware of that. Aw thank you hope it goes well for you too.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    7. CrystalB

CrystalB Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      My tinnitus always usually spikes about a week before and during my menstrual cycle, I can always tell my menstrual cycle is about to start. It took a few months for me to realize why my tinnitus gets worse sometimes!

8. Danica

Danica Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Head trauma/Infection
      Yes to both, I would have major Vertigo episodes during my menstrual cycle and would faint followed by vomit everytime without fail, it was horrible. Ever since going on birth control and completely stopping my periods I have not had a major vertigo episode but my T is still unbearable at times

• Agree Agree x 1
    9. OnceUponaTime
      Wishful

OnceUponaTime Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      11/11
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      @Lovely507 @Fally
      Yes, my tinnitus spikes a few days before my cycle but settles quickly. If it coincides with a full moon you better leave me alone and stay as far as possible for your own safety...lol...

The joys of womanhood. Grrrrr

Get yourself a calendar that shows the moon phases.
      Once

• Helpful Helpful x 1
      • Funny Funny x 1
    10. Holly1987

Holly1987 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      20190319_103956.jpg
      I also become very mentally unstable, such fun.

• Funny Funny x 3
      • Agree Agree x 1
    11. Fangen
      Moonlighting

Fangen Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      December 2nd, 2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma (loud concert for 1h)
      It does at ovulation but mainly justs before my period and during it. Sometimes I can just feel that it got louder and then I see I got my period and instantly just stop worrying about the spike.

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Informative Informative x 1
    12. screechesilence
      Wishful

screechesilence Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      STRESS, high frequency sensorineural loss (birth)
      I have a question for all my fellow sufferer ladies out there on the combined birth control pill:

I have been on the pill for over a decade now, no problems whatsoever and lots of benefits, mainly the comfort and being in control that it brings. For many months lately, I have taken it without a break AT ALL. Now that I got tinnitus and everyone asks about any medicine you are taking, the pill is all I think about. I never had health issues or was on medication. I wondered if I stopped the pill, maybe it would help my tinnitus. The thing is, this is no double-blind study. As with my supplements, I feel my tinnitus could have got better or worse even on its own. I have not had it long enough or tested each parameter individually to determine their efficiency. I stopped the pill for a week and I am the same as before...

I wonder if there is any point in stopping the pill altogether and what your experience is.

13. Frédéric

Frédéric Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      11/19/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic trauma
      I posted this publication to the closest topic.

Disturbance Of The Hormonal Background In Women With Hypofunction Of The Ovaries With Menier's Disease

Meniere's disease is a non-purulent disease of the inner ear, characterized by an increase in the volume of endolymph. In addition, it is known that the onset of the disease in women often coincides with periods of physiological or pathological decrease in the hormonal function of the ovaries: the hemorrhagic phase of the menstrual cycle, menstrual irregularities accompanied by hypoestrogenia. We studied 18 people, conducted audiometric, vestibulometric and electronhistagographic studies. Patients were treated during the period of remission for 2-3 menstrual cycles in continuous monitoring in the form of dynamic hormonal studies excretion of sex steroids. Based on the results of hormonal examination and treatment, it should be assumed that hormonal therapy for women with Meniere's disease, which occurs against the background of ovarian hypofunction, is quite effective for stopping attacks of vestibular disorders. This therapy is a substitute.

Attached Files:

14. BuzzyBee
      Bookworm

BuzzyBee Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Not Sure
      Just throwing this out there.

The menstrual cycle is the full 25 to 32 (approximate) days, not just the days of bleeding which are usually days 1 through 6 or 1 through 8 (approximate).

A more helpful question for the poll might be "At one point during the menstrual cycle does your tinnitus or hyperacusis spike, if at all ?" Or something like that.

https://www.yourperiod.ca/normal-periods/menstrual-cycle-basics/#cycleGeneral