Poll: If Turmeric (or Curcumin) Successfully Lowered Your Tinnitus, Did the Effect Last Long Term?

Discussion in 'Support' started by JasonP, Aug 30, 2019.

?

What effect did Curcumin/Turmeric have on your tinnitus?

1. It permanently IMPROVED my tinnitus

2. It temporarily IMPROVED my tinnitus

3. It permanently WORSENED my tinnitus

4. It temporarily WORSENED my tinnitus

5. It had NO EFFECT on my tinnitus

6. I have not tried it

Results are only viewable after voting.
    1. JasonP
      No Mood

JasonP Member

Tinnitus Since:
      6/2006
      Basically, I'm wondering if this supplement continuously lowers tinnitus for years or if it stops working after a while. Thanks for any help. :)

• Good Question Good Question x 2
    2. John Mahan

John Mahan Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      Am taking it every day. Have noticed no difference. But not making it worse either.

3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      JasonP
      No Mood

JasonP Member

Tinnitus Since:
      6/2006
      That's interesting. How many days have you taken it for and how many milligrams? Also, are you taking the kind that has the black pepper that increases bioavailability?

4. John Mahan

John Mahan Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      • Informative Informative x 2
      • Helpful Helpful x 1
    5. Samantha R

Samantha R Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Ambassador

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      @JasonP
      I’ve taken it since October last year and as long as I keep taking it, my tinnitus is so much better and I go days without even thinking about it or noticing it.
      My miracle.
      I didn’t answer your poll as I’m not sure any of the responses is applicable in my case.
      It temporarily reduces my tinnitus in the sense that it hasn’t cured it as I must keep taking it.
      If I take it regularly then I keep having reduced tinnitus, so in that sense, it’s a permanent solution as it continues to work for me.

Hope that makes sense!

• Like Like x 4
      • Winner Winner x 2
      • Hug Hug x 1
    6. Vicki14
      Panicky

Vicki14 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      January 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Stress
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • Good Question Good Question x 1
    7. John Mahan

John Mahan Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      Samantha...best news ever!!!!

How long from the time you started to the time you noticed a reduction in your tinnitus?

Can you share with us what dosage and how many times per day you take Curcumin?

Congrats on finding something to take the edge off!

• Like Like x 1
    8. John Mahan

John Mahan Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      I haven't personally that I notice discernibly. But maybe it has helped my tinnitus but I just can't quantify it. I still get big variation. I did get one episode of much lower tinnitus however. May be attributable. Not sure. As I type this my tinnitus is about a 2-3 out of 10. Was out on the bike this morning and didn't notice it at all which is often the case when I am hammering and chatting with friends.

I woke up to rarely low tinnitus this morning. Many if not most mornings I wake up to loud T. I was thankful. :) One thing I am going to keep an eye on. I took an allergy tablet yesterday because my eyes were a bit fussed due to all the moisture and pollen in the air. I almost never take an allergy pill. Maybe cause and effect. Will test it some more. I slept better last night. I still have the craziest dreams which can dramatically affect my tinnitus.

I have one weird dream I can share that is somewhat I suppose a metaphor for my tinnitus.

I grew up playing golf competitively and played it throughout my life in business with clients.
      The dream always goes like this. I am standing on the tee box and I place the tee into the ground and I look forward into the fairway as I prepare to tee off. It is always a combination that I can't make a swing. Either the tee box is too small so I can't complete my backswing...too crowded... or there are trees in front of me whereby I can't hit the ball without hitting the trees in front of me. Doomed to fail in other words. It is like I can't score. I many times will wake from this dream in the middle of the night and my tinnitus is screaming at me. I have it recurrently. I also have similar types of dreams where I am dealt circumstances, I can't solve. I am a problem solver by nature. Of course there is no solution to tinnitus and we have all had to live with it.

Maybe I need a higher dosage of Curcumin. I am not a small guy....over 6' and 190 lbs.

• Like Like x 2
    9. Sevv

Sevv Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud concert
      Mine seems to be a bit better when taking it. My T however seems to be generally lower on weekends. So work stress is probably involved.
      But it's healthy anyway, so I'll continue.

• Like Like x 2
    10. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      JasonP
      No Mood

JasonP Member

Tinnitus Since:
      6/2006
      That is fantastic Samantha! I am so happy you found something to reduce it. :) :) What dosage did you take at first and how long did it take to notice a reduction? Also, when you take it now, how long does it take for it to kick in to lower your tinnitus and how long does it last for lowering it? :)

• Like Like x 2
    11. Samantha R

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      It was such a fluke as initially I had a really bad flare up of a skin allergy and the doc gave me prednisolone. I noticed when taking the pred that my tinnitus was pretty much non-existent.
      So I decided to try curcumin given its anti inflammatory properties. I noticed a difference within a day or two (from memory).
      I take Fusion brand curcumin and I take 400mg daily.
      I really only have to take it once a day and it might slightly increase as the day goes on, but it's so low I can't even hear it unless I'm in a quiet room and focusing on it.
      It's my miracle.

• Like Like x 7
      • Winner Winner x 1
      • Informative Informative x 1
    12. JohnAdams
      Festive

JohnAdams Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      May 1st 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Aspirin Toxicity/Possibly Noise
      I have traveled into the future with my time machine to 2022 and the tinnitus community has discovered the awesome effects of curcumin/turmeric. I went to TRI and took some pictures.
      4a7fc2dc404e4ab2b64ad13ed81b75c2.jpg
      43626-holi-people963.jpg
      a758ff8435e513b1747902ea5314cf22.jpg
      102-jejuri-temple.jpg
      190613-india-turmeric-festival-2272.jpg

• Funny Funny x 5
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • Hug Hug x 1
      • Winner Winner x 1
    13. alanisnotadj
      Batty

alanisnotadj Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      1992 (got much worse in 2018)
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noise exposure
      Curcumin rules!

• Agree Agree x 1
    14. Ruse
      No Mood

Ruse Member Podcast Patron Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      NIHL & TMJ
      No difference for me either unfortunately.

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Hug Hug x 1
    15. Fifth Business

Fifth Business Member Podcast Patron

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Deafening applause (ppl clap loudly after reading my posts)
      I take around 1000-1250 mg after dinner. My tinnitus is dramatically better than before (specifically during February/March early this year), but can't make a conclusive correlation. I'd stop and see if it gets worse but then I'd no longer be a member of the #cucurmincrew

16. PeteJ
      Depressed

PeteJ Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic trauma?
      Does it matter if you rate your tinnitus as mild, moderate or severe? N/10?

I am asking if it matters when you take curcumin/turmeric? Others are asking if alcohol does anything to the tinnitus. We are talking about volume reduction and possibly any perceived positive change (e.g. loss of tones, slowed down tones, pitch changes or volume reduction?)?

I took too much melatonin recently and it made me so drowsy but I still couldn't sleep because the t was still too intrusive. However, the tinnitus did seem to change. The tempo(?) slowed down. It was noticeable. I also took an AD medication but I am convinced that the melatonin was the main contributor to the change.

If neuromodulation does anything, is it something that affects the brain? Some people theorize that the brain has to be reset somehow or it has to be retrained to send a message that the neurons don't have to fire (anymore) and more or less bring the brain/cochlear state back to pre-tinnitus state. I don't know how a treatment will accomplish that if that is what needs to happen.

17. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      JasonP
      No Mood

JasonP Member

Tinnitus Since:
      6/2006
      Thank you so much Samantha, I think I will give it a try. :) Do you take it with food or on an empty stomach? Can you give me a link for the supplement you use? I couldn't find a Fusion 400mg supplement.

• Like Like x 1
    18. Ringeee

Ringeee Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Not Sure
      Hey Jason, did you ever find an anti-depressant that didn't affect your tinnitus?

• Good Question Good Question x 1
    19. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      JasonP
      No Mood

JasonP Member

Tinnitus Since:
      6/2006
      Kind of...I have been taking 1/4 tsp. to 1/2 tsp. of Barlean's Omega Swirl. Lately, I have mostly been taking it around 9 p.m. and I don't notice it affecting my tinnitus much. I may change the time I take it though. Maybe it's all in my head but it seems like often I can get different effects from it depending on the time of day I take it. So far though it seems to be helping with depression.

• Like Like x 1
    20. ImRichard

ImRichard Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unk
      How long did it take for you to notice a difference? Thank you.

• Like Like x 1
    21. Juan

Juan Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Several causes
      It has a temporary effect, it can help improve T and H, but over time maybe the body builds up tolerance and it has not the same effect.

22. Samantha R

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Hi Jason. I take it with food. Fusion brand comes in 200mg tablets, so I just take 2, once a day.
      I get my supplements from Discount Vitamins Australia - https://www.discountvitaminsexpress...rEdged7zsRJaldk_2gPMfmkKb4ZFAumBoCsJYQAvD_BwE
      Hope that helps!

• Helpful Helpful x 1
    23. Samantha R

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Hi Richard,
      Almost immediately, within a day I noticed significantly quieter tinnitus.

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    24. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      JasonP
      No Mood

JasonP Member

Tinnitus Since:
      6/2006
      • Good Question Good Question x 2
    25. Kai Love
      Surrender

Kai Love Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/19
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Neck injury (car accident), subsequent TMJ, Ear Wax
      The one Samantha R takes contains piperine from black pepper.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5664031/

- Black pepper increases bioavailability by 2000%

I am sure this is mentioned on another thread, but hey, I am new to the site.

Happy to learn something is helping someone. I am chewing on a whole black peppercorn (after it softened from saliva) as I type.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
    26. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      JasonP
      No Mood

JasonP Member

Tinnitus Since:
      6/2006
      Hey Samantha, how are you doing? I have a question for you. What time do you take the Curcumin? Is it in the morning, afternoon, or night? I'm curious because it seems with me, sometimes I can get different effects from supplements depending on the time I take them. By the way, I took a Curcumin last night had a great night's rest and seemed to wake up with some of my tinnitus sounds muted or quieter. Not sure if it was a coincidence or not. I only took one capsule.

• Like Like x 1
    27. JohnAdams
      Festive

JohnAdams Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      May 1st 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Aspirin Toxicity/Possibly Noise
      Looks to me like this stuff is the closest thing to an available treatment that we have so far. About 20% have reported that it helps.

• Like Like x 1
    28. Matchbox
      Wishful

Matchbox Member

Tinnitus Since:
      August 2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise Induced, Prednisone (drones), Barotrauma (distortions)
      When my tinnitus was mild, yes, I did notice an impact from Prednisone and Curcumin. My guess is it might have to do with TMF-alpha. Would have to try a drug that downregulates it to confirm.

Just be warned Curcumin is technically a salicylate.

29. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      JasonP
      No Mood

JasonP Member

Tinnitus Since:
      6/2006
      Hey @Samantha R, I hope you are doing well. Is the Turmeric still working for you? I have been trying some different things lately and was thinking about giving it another try. Maybe before sleeping sometime this week. I wanted to ask you though, are there any side effects if you take too much?