Poll: If Your Tinnitus Has Spiked from Taking Any Drug, How Long Did the Spike Last?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Bart, Oct 20, 2018.

?

How long did your tinnitus spike last from a drug?

1. Less than a week

2. 1-4 weeks

3. More than a month

4. The increase in my tinnitus was permanent

5. I haven't had tinnitus spikes from any drug

Results are only viewable after voting.
    1. Bart
      Wtf

Bart Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/06/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      Hello,

How many people have had adverse reactions, meaning their tinnitus got (a lot) worse as a side effect from prescription drugs, any drugs, even the ones that are not listed as ototoxic or the particular pill pusher labeled as 'safe' .

And more importantly, how long did the spike last, did it pass, or was it permanent?

2. Tinniger

Tinniger Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Uncertain, now very somatic, started with noise?
      First of all, I would question the causal connection between the deterioration of the tinnitus and the intake of the medication...

3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Bart
      Wtf

Bart Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/06/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      Off course, I understand that the actual perceived tinnitus volume is subjective, complex and multifaceted , but when you take a drug and half an hour later your tinnitus ramps up to quite uncomfortable levels , without being exposed to anything else, in my opinion it is safe to assume the drug is the culprit.

That being said , I think often the worry and anxiety about a certain drug becomes a self fullfilling prophecy so to speak, you worry that your tinnitus will become louder before you take a certain drug .

The fact remains however that numbers of people have gotten tinnitus and/or worsening from drugs .

4. Tinniger

Tinniger Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Uncertain, now very somatic, started with noise?
      But, - after exposition to ototoxic drugs such as gentamicin it usually needs days to see their toxic effects. :dunno:

• Useful Useful x 1
    5. Red
      Crappy

Red Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise Exposure (Headphones)
      Naproxen. But spike only lasted a day. Could have been a spike sourced from something else too.

6. Brooklyn NY

Brooklyn NY Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      November 5, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      probably pepto bismo and aspercreme
      Hi, I have had t for 14 months. Mine presented itself after a dose of Pepto bismo. I was a fairly long time user, though always within the dosing limits on the bottle. I was also using aspercreme for foot pain at the same time, so probably both together caused this disaster..