Poll: Should Noise Pollution Be Prohibited by Law?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Barry098, Dec 6, 2021.

?

Should the creation of unnecessarily loud sounds be punishable with legal action?

1. Yes

2. No

Results are only viewable after voting.
    1. Barry098
      No Mood

Barry098 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud Music
      Yesterday, as my wife and my 2 year old attended a candle lighting ceremony in my downtown area, a skinhead asshole motorcyclist, intentionally disrupted the ceremony by revving his engine to absolutely ear shattering levels... and I mean ear shattering.

I had my custom solid core musicians plugs deeply seated and vacuumed sealed in my ear canals (when I do that, I normally can't hear anything), and the sound of the motorcycle still caused my ear drums to distort. I figure it was upwards of 150 dB. I mean, it would have drowned out a jet engine no problem. Of course my ears are ringing louder now, but what about everyone else there? Will my daughter have hearing issues as a result of this assault?

Anyway, I called 911 and reported this but I doubt anything will come of it.

So, I got to thinking that perhaps there would be some interest in creating legislature to prohibit loud sounds by making it into some kind of an assault charge.

Just curious to hear some thoughts on this idea. So, I decided to do a poll.

• Like Like x 3
      • Hug Hug x 2
      • Agree Agree x 1
    2. Simon85

Simon85 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Nov 2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Probably noise exposure, but unknown.
      Some people like to take the mufflers off their bikes to create noise. Bike gangs generally do it for intimidation. The desire may be to disturb people, get attention... There will be different rules per country, but I’d say it should be illegal. Confiscate their vehicles and fine them heavily. They can be a walking assholes instead. I’ve felt this way well before tinnitus, but post tinnitus I’m just going to double down on this view.

• Agree Agree x 2
      • Like Like x 1
      • Funny Funny x 1
    3. Julien87
      Not amused

Julien87 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure (concert)
      Sorry to read this. I hate those kind of idiots.

How long did it last? Regarding the level, I think 150 dB may be a bit overestimated. I would say this kind of sound, without muffler, is about 120 dB max.

Congrats for keeping your calm. I tend to get very short tempered in this kind of situation.

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Barry098
      No Mood

Barry098 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud Music
      That was the hard part, considering he was revving up sporadically over the space of about 3 minutes, long enough for me to call the police.

• Like Like x 1
      • Genius Genius x 1
    5. OnceUponaTime
      Wishful

OnceUponaTime Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      11/11
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      This poll in this forum will definitely get you lots of yays... lol.

I just think there's too much unnecessary loud noises in the world.

• Agree Agree x 5
      • Like Like x 1
    6. Juan

Juan Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Several causes
      It is illegal in most countries, but police do not enforce the law. Policemen do not care about this, even if anyone files a complaint.

• Agree Agree x 3
    7. aura

aura Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I have a better idea.

Just kill it with fire.

There. Problem solved.

Sorry, I'm in a bad mood today. Tired of all this.

• Like Like x 3
      • Hug Hug x 3
    8. ZFire
      Pacman

ZFire Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      2012 (mild) & 04/2021 (severe)
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ototoxicity (2012) Unknown-likely noise induce (2021)
      When I’m in that ‘tired of all this” mentality, I feel like it makes the day more easier to deal with. A coping mechanism if you will. I dunno, maybe it’s just me.

• Like Like x 3
    9. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Barry098
      No Mood

Barry098 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud Music
      @aura, my sentiments exactly. How much suffering can a person reasonably endure. Screaming tinnitus is the worst thing that can happen to a person, I am convinced of that. Yet, unlike ALL other disabilities, tinnitus is ignored and minimized and not only is our pain invisible to others, no one is interested in giving us even the most basic of human rights. The right to not be violently assaulted wherever we go. I truly would trade this for ANY other condition.

• Hug Hug x 2
      • Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1