Poll: The Effect of Microsuction of Earwax on Tinnitus Levels

Discussion in 'Support' started by Agrajag364, Aug 28, 2019.

?

If you've had microsuction of ear wax, what effect did it have?

1. Microsuction of earwax had no effect on my tinnitus

8 vote(s)
    26.7%
  2. Microsuction of earwax temporarily worsened my tinnitus

5 vote(s)
    16.7%
  3. Microsuction of earwax permanently worsened my tinnitus

9 vote(s)
    30.0%
  4. Microsuction of earwax was the original cause of my tinnitus

7 vote(s)
    23.3%
  5. Microsuction of earwax improved my tinnitus

1 vote(s)
    3.3%
    1. Agrajag364

Agrajag364 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Microsuction is the preferred method of removing earwax for ENTs. There are quite a number of stories of microsuction causing tinnitus or spiking it. Yet ENTs and audiologists will often tell patients microsuction will not worsen their tinnitus. Microsuction is a common procedure and many with tinnitus must have it without exacerbation, so it may be that whilst worsening in tinnitus occur, they are rare. It's simply not known. Having looked at the medical literature on the subject in detail, there are quite a few papers expressing concern that mircosuction produces a very loud noise and can cause tinnitus.

So it might be interesting to do a poll to see what members' experience of microsuction has been.

2. Mal58

Mal58 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noise? Headphones?
      Only a week since my micro-suction and the Tinnitus seems about the same, though my hearing is much better
      in my left ear, the one with Tinnitus. In fact some noises now seem much louder in my left ear then my right. Anyone had a similar experience?

• Like Like x 1
      • Good Question Good Question x 1
    3. Acouphene
      Sad

Acouphene Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      loud music
      Microsuction of earwax permanently worsened my tinnitus in one ear. My new ENT used microsuction without asking or warning me. I was shocked by the noise and immediately told him to stop. My old ENT for 30 years always removed my earwax manually... I was unaware that Microsuction even existed! I am a tinnitus and hyperacusis veteran with 30 long years of suffering. I have tried everything without success. ENTs always seem clueless. I have learned to live with my condition BUT seven months ago my tinnitus in one ear spiked due to Microsuction. Since the "event" I have had a battery of tests including an MRI and have a new ENT. The tests are all negative but 2 recent audio tests indicate that I have lost some hearing in the ear that was targeted by the Microsuction but no one can say for sure that the procedure caused the hearing loss & tinnitus spike. All the professionals I have consulted over the past months believe microsuction to be safe...

4. Blue28
      Doubtful

Blue28 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma from Microsuction
      Hi @Acouphene! Sorry to read about your experience with microsuction.

In 2016 I saw an ENT to remove a build up of wax in one ear... He used microsuction on both ears! I had never heard of the procedure, NOTHING was explained to me, no other methods of wax removal were offered, and he NEVER mentioned possible side effects.

The procedure was extremely loud, and at times painful. Immediately after I had a kind of fullness feeling in my ears, and the following day the tinnitus hell started, followed by the hyperacusis.

My hearing changed, things began to sound muffled and sound hurt my ears. I had several hearing tests, which showed a huge drop in my hearing in the very high frequencies.

When I complained the ENT denied that microsuction could cause damage, and said that I was psychologically unstable. He did his very best to cover up his mistakes and make it seem as if I was making the whole thing up.

I have been severely traumatised by all of this. That doctor/procedure has RUINED not only my life but my family's lives too. I now live with chronic pain, extreme 24/7 tinnitus, hyperacusis, hearing loss (which has worsened in 5 years), sleep deprivation, ptsd and much more... I still have the ear fullness to this day. Before the microsuction I had great hearing, NO tinnitus and had never had to consult an ENT.

I can't even put into words the regret, sadness and injustice I feel every single day :(

• Hug Hug x 3