Poll: Tinnitus Loudness in the Morning

Discussion in 'Support' started by Tweaker, Jun 14, 2017.

?

Is your tinnitus loudest in the morning upon waking?

1. Yes, loudest in the morning upon waking

2. No, quieter in the morning

3. No difference

Results are only viewable after voting.
    1. Tweaker
      Transparent

Tweaker Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure
      My tinnitus is crazy loud upon waking. This is becoming more the case as time goes on. Interested in others experiences. It is loud in the evening as well but definitely loudest upon waking up.

2. Vera Lisa

Vera Lisa Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      wax removal
      My T is also super loud in the morning when I wake up and when I am laying down at the sofa.
      T doesn't like when I am in a horizontal position... Don't know why this happens...?!?!

• Agree Agree x 1
    3. Elinor
      No Mood

Elinor Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure and barotrauma
      Usually quieter in the morning, but occasionally louder.

Almost always louder after daytime napping, so I rarely nap. I wish I knew why this happens.

• Agree Agree x 3
    4. light rain

light rain Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      I have loud T in the morning. I've said sometimes I think it wakes me up. I didn't vote though because I don't know if I would consider it the loudest then at all times.

5. TuneOut

TuneOut Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Worsened 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Concert
      Exactly the same for me.

6. Greg Sacramento

Greg Sacramento Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      April 2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      syringing and now somatic T dental work
      @TuneOut The same for me too. My doctor is in El Dorado Hills. He knows more about tinnitus than any ENT that I ever went too. I needed some prednisone after my last noise exposure and I had it within 30 minutes.

• Hug Hug x 1
    7. TuneOut

TuneOut Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Worsened 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Concert
      @Greg Sacramento

Very cool. What's his name?

8. Greg Sacramento

Tinnitus Since:
      April 2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I'll send you a conversation with his name and address. You and I may be the only two that live in this area.

9. zombiechick
      Probing

zombiechick Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Medication and hearing loss
      My tinnitus varies. It can still be similar volume but once I'm up walking around it seems to calm down.

• Like Like x 1
    10. Greg Sacramento

Tinnitus Since:
      April 2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Everyone is different. Magnesium helps many here, but it drives my T thru the roof. B12 and NAC helps me bring the super high pitch down a little with a steam bath before bed. It's weird because NAC contains magnesium. I drink lots of liquids - lemonade before going to bed. Just before bed I take alprazolam. I plan to use this for two months. I've use alprazolam before for T. I don't have problems with addiction to anything.

My thoughts are with Glynis, she reminds me so much of my mother who's family is from her area. My mom passed away a few months ago.

11. TuneOut

TuneOut Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Worsened 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Concert
      You don't feel that you experience withdrawal symptoms like increased anxiety or tinnitus after stopping the ativan?

12. Greg Sacramento

Tinnitus Since:
      April 2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I never felt anxiety after stopping alprazolam. Some people do. I have some serious pain related conditions. The saphenous vein in my left leg is dead. Some other veins in that leg are also dying. My left foot is 50% black and most of the time it's sleeping. I do light exercises for a broken disc in my back, but it still flares up badly at times. I have a hiatal hernia that often feels like I'm having a heart attack. I have painful knees. My left hip hurts bad. I take no drugs for my painful conditions. Alprazolam, prednisone and lidocaine are the only drugs that I can take. Other drugs badly spike my T. If I could solve one health problem it would be tinnitus.

13. Jomo

Jomo Member

Tinnitus Since:
      9/4/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      going for a rim shot on the snare drum.
      I want to clarify that my T tends to be louder at nite so in the mrning its usually an improvement and ends up being lighter than my masking sound. An example of how i am able to determine this is at night while trying to sleep, i usually can hear my T slightly despite using masking noise. In the mrning i usually don't hear my T.

• Like Like x 1
    14. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Tweaker
      Transparent

Tweaker Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure
      It seems from the voting that the majority goes to T being quieter in the morning. I'm a bit surprised. I thought it was due to cortisol (stress hormone) waking us up that caused the T to get louder but if that were the only reason, then everyone's T would be louder upon waking. With T there is never a straightforward explanation. It seems to be so variable in how it behaves.

15. tiniturtle

tiniturtle Member

Tinnitus Since:
      3/19/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Paromomycin
      It being quieter in the morning could be attributed to release of melatonin through the night.

16. Telis

Telis Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Drugs barotrauma
      Alway slightly quieter when I wake (but still pretty extreme, not maskable). As the day moves forward, the tinnitus becomes totally unbearable along with ear pain, by the evening I am crippled, totally exhausted and really desperate to sleep.

17. Siri
      Worried

Siri Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Had it along time but spiked April 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown but possible ear infection
      Seems like morning, noon or night anytime I wake up it's louder then it was, even napping for a short time makes it worse.

18. TuneOut

TuneOut Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Worsened 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Concert
      It may also be the result of synaptic pruning, which occurs during sleep.

19. Raphael7713
      Alone

Raphael7713 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      January 14, 2017.
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Not sure
      My tinnitus varies a lot, but for the most part I do not hear it during entire day, there are sometimes exceptions like when I'm stressed or something. But when I wake up my T is screaming for about 5-15 minutes before disappearing. What is the reason behind this or the most logic explanation?

Thanks

20. Michael Leigh

Michael Leigh Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      April /1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      Many people experince this me included and I don't know the reason. Sometimes on wakeup my tinnitus is silent other times it's very intrusive. Same thing can happen during the day. My tinnitus might be silent or low and I take a nap, upon wake-up it's very loud and doesn't always reduce until the next day hopefully. It is good that your tinnitus is mostly quiet try to keep it that way and I advise not to use headphones even at low volume, if your tinntus was caused by noise exposure.

Michael

21. Raphael7713
      Alone

Raphael7713 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      January 14, 2017.
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Not sure
      Ye I don't use headphones any longer! Screw that.

But whats interesting/strange is that the loud screaming disappears 5 min after waking up. So it's literally something going on in the sleep. Duno if it's sinus related, grinding my teeths, something in the brain.

22. Michael Leigh

Michael Leigh Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      April /1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      I haven't a clue, as I said many people with tinnitus experience this on wakeup and it doesn't always calm down.
      Michael

23. DebInAustralia
      No Mood

DebInAustralia Member Benefactor Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      30/12/13
      Never experienced periods of silence since my onset, but t fluctuates (or my perception of it fluctuates).

Generally quieter in the morning, especially when I have slept well. Louder as the day drags on.

• Agree Agree x 1
    24. TinaB
      Amused

TinaB Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Age-related hearing loss
      Just got done reading some prior posts and was quite surprised at the number of people who said their tinnitus was quieter in the mornings. Mine actually seems worse and I’m here to ask what you lovely people do to psych yourself up to start the day. I’ve tried counting my blessings, telling myself it’ll get better once I get going. I don’t want to get stuck in self pity which is counterproductive. But gosh, what a way to start the day