Poll: When You First Noticed Your Tinnitus Did You Wake Up from Sleep to It?

Discussion in 'Support' started by JasonP, May 6, 2016.

?

When you first noticed your tinnitus did you wake up from sleep to it?

1. Yes

2. No

Results are only viewable after voting.
    1. JasonP
      No Mood

JasonP Member

Tinnitus Since:
      6/2006
      Basically the first time it started, did you notice it when you woke up?

2. Mario martz
      Creative

Mario martz Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2016
      Yes!

3. bill 112
      Fine

bill 112 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure
      Nope,funny enough my grandmother was talking about my uncles T to my mother and I payed no attention to what she was saying.Literally 1 minute later I thought my fridge was broken because I could hear a hiss coming from it.I left the room but could still hear the hissing,I covered my ears and that was the start of the nightmare.Just a major coincidence that my T started as we were talking about T.

• Informative Informative x 1
    4. Engineer
      Creative

Engineer Member

Tinnitus Since:
      1/20/15
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Most likely acoustic hearing loss
      Yes I did. I don't think it woke me up, but I was aware of it right after I awoke. It was a very unpleasant morning as I began my crash internet course on T.

5. Fungus
      Dreaming

Fungus Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Virus?
      No....developed as a very faint and infrequent hiss in one ear by day, and developed into a couple of jet engines in both ears 24/7 over the course of about a month.

Fungus

6. Beste
      Disappointed

Beste Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/16/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Benzo/Clonazepam, Stress
      Yes.

7. volsung37

volsung37 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      My journey into the underworld started with waking up one night to Pulsatile Tinnitus. I had never really thought such a thing could exist. Lasted 8 months then went away gradually. I had intermittent ordinary T but it never bothered me much until Feb 16 this year when it appeared during the night. Give me the PT any day.

8. Path Maker

Path Maker Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic
      Yes. Woke me from a sound sleep.

9. Enid

Enid Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Tinnitus wakes me up at night. Its worse mornings evenings and afternoons. There wasn't a definite start to it just a realisation of a buzz that was always there sometimes so quiet almost inaudible sometimes so loud blocks out all other sounds. Started after ear infection last October/november . getting ears syrnged in a few weeks Dr thinks earwax is partly responsible. MRI showed nothing to worry about.

10. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      JasonP
      No Mood

JasonP Member

Tinnitus Since:
      6/2006
      Interesting. It seems the majority of people's T started when they woke up at least as of today. I'm not sure why I never answered my own question with detail. I was taking a lot of medication and supplements one time after becoming severely depressed.

My mind became incredibly messed up due to what I was taking. When people talked to me I could not instantly understand what they were saying. I had to analyze every single word of their question to comprehend it.

Anyways, I went to sleep and woke up with high pitch ringing in both ears. I thought it would go away but it did not.

11. TheDanishGirl
      Sad

TheDanishGirl Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2017 (H since 06/2017)
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      long term noise exposure (headphones), maybe some stress.
      No. I actually noticed it when I laid down to sleep.

12. Jomo

Jomo Member

Tinnitus Since:
      9/4/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      going for a rim shot on the snare drum.
      strange coincidence how many of us experienced it from waking up. Mine woke me up and i could have sworn that nite i went to sleep with no ringing. that dreaded day...

13. Scared111

Scared111 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      6/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      yes I woke up with pulsatile tinnitus in one ear. then woke up with regular tinnitus in the other ear four months later.

14. Shera
      Bookworm

Shera Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/9/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      head trama caused TMJ/neck problems/ETD
      For me I got T when I hit my head. The new horrible T woke me up in the middle of the night 3 months later.

15. Tweedleman
      Depressed

Tweedleman Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown/Noise
      I was 10 years old, we had just got back from the video store. I was sitting on the couch in quiet waiting for my Mom to put the VHS in and I noticed the godawful ringing sound in both ears. Once the movie started it covered it up. From that day forward I hated being in silent rooms.

• Hug Hug x 2
    16. CHLOE_EE

CHLOE_EE Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/16/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Anemia, cervical spine issues..high frequency loss?
      I woke up 9/16/19 to a tiny whistle in the left ear. I didn’t think ANYTHING of it. It’s happened before when I was about to get a cold or sinus infection. The whistle kept up - all day. All night for days. Never got a cold. Never got a sinus infection.

At the one week mark of non stop tinnitus I started googling....started panicking. Which lead me to ENT, chiropractor, dentists, nothing detected but “high frequency loss” in the left ear via audio gram. I’ve never been exposed to noise, no headphones, no ototoxic meds, passed numerous online audio grams for frequency since when the tinnitus is quiet. I’m 49 - too young for hearing loss. I had no hearing loss. I do have disc degenerative disease btwn cervical spine 5 & 6 and forward head posture. I’m working towards correcting.

The only over exposure to noise my left ear has heard more than the right, is I have spoken on the telephone with my left ear only for 40 years. Early in my career I used the phone a lot and took calls on left side, crooked neck, left side car window open, 3 babies crying as I held them over my left shoulder - screaming into my left ear.

I no longer speak on the phone - unless on speaker. I’m 4 1/2 months into tinnitus and if I talk even on speaker too long I will spike for hours afterwards.... makes no sense ... so I’m now using an ear plug (tight one) if I’m on speaker.

Definitely Maddening ...

17. GoatSheep

GoatSheep Guest

No. Driving from my mother's house back to my house. 3 hour trip. About half way into the trip left ear starting buzzing out of the blue pretty loudly.

18. Christopher805

Christopher805 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      May 2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Neomycin
      Woke up with ringing after taking Neomycin for 3 days.

19. aot
      Depressed

aot Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      2016. Worsened 11/2019.
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Probably noise induced, worsened due to noise exposur + flu
      Woke up to a low rumble in my head the morning after a walkie talkie was turned up too loudly at work and blasted me in my ear. Eventually it became a slight ringing, and I barely noticed it. (The good old days.)

Late november of last year I woke up three days in a row after going to loud event with friends. (The event lasted about 30-45 minutes.) Eventually the ringing would go away, until one day it didn't.