Prednisone — Is It Something I Should Ask for?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Ludvik, Dec 6, 2016.

1. Ludvik

Ludvik Member

Tinnitus Since:
      23/11/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear Infection + Noise Induced
      I'm seeing an ENT today, 3 weeks after onset. (Cause is ear infection, and possible trauma whilst infected). I'm planning to mention prednisone, is it something I should ask for? From some of the things I've read here it only works if applied soon after onset, none of the physicians I went to prescribed it to me as they felt my ringing will subside after the ear infection.

2. VRZ78

VRZ78 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Viral Infection
      Prednisone weakens the immune system so it might make the infection worse. Ask the ENT. If the infection is gone go for it

3. glynis
      Feminine

glynis Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      I have to take prednisalone a lot due to lung problems along with antibiotics.
      Always worth asking but might only be a quick fix for a few days.
      My Doctor won't give them out for tinnitus as they are meds used for respiratory problems....lots of love glynis

4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Ludvik

Ludvik Member

Tinnitus Since:
      23/11/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      So roughly 30 hours ago I walked past a construction site, and I'm experiencing a terrible level of spike because of it. It was really loud (though I had ear plugs and also blocked my ears with my fingers)

I do think I'm only considering this out of paranoia/anxiety and that perhaps I should just give it time and hope the spike settle. I took Prednisone in the past and I'm unsure if it had any effect.

5. Michael Leigh

Michael Leigh Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      I advise to leave the Prednisone alone as it can raise blood sugar levels. I think you are worrying unnecessarily and this can cause stress and anxiety. Try not to use earplugs too often as over protecting the ears can make your auditory system more sensitive to sound. I advise reading my post: Hyperacusis, as I see it. https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/hyperacusis-as-i-see-it.19174/
      If you have read it before then I advise reading it again and if possible print it and keep reading it until the message sinks in. Over protecting the ears and worrying over every little sound in the environment can cause phonophobia.
      Michael

6. hopeforme

hopeforme Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown/ear infection/noise
      It could be paranoia/anxiety. I had a really great day yesterday. My husband was home and we went out and ran errands..stayed busy with no fear. But today I woke up afraid and was focusing too much on it, but I notice after turning on my favorite music I can chill and not think about it and it doesn't sound as loud. Hope you calm down and have a good rest of the day.

7. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Ludvik

Ludvik Member

Tinnitus Since:
      23/11/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      @Michael Leigh I've read your other thread, but wasn't aware of this one. Thank you for bringing it to my attention! I definitely do think I have phonophobia as I'm very afraid of making my tinnitus worst. I had a couple permanent spikes within the first month. I'm not sure if I have hyperacusis, maybe mild? These sounds don't hurt my ears but I am much more sensitive/aware of them.

Thank you @hopeforme , tonight I think I will try to listen to music or an audiobook to help me sleep. Maybe hearing people talk willcalm my mind a bit.

8. Michael Leigh

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      HI @Ludvik You haven't had tinnitus/hyperacusis long. I suggest you get a referral to a Hearing therapist for tinnitus management and some counselling.
      Best of luck
      Michael

9. hopeforme

hopeforme Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown/ear infection/noise
      BTW the prednisone sent me into major anxiety attacks/severe depressions for the days I was on it. It was horrible. I am off and my mood is starting to come up for air. I would rather have a mild T than feel the way I did on it. I know this isn't the case for everyone, just wanted to add this in there.

10. david c

david c Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2012
      Not sure about Prednisone but clonazepam is definitely worth considering for a short period if your tinnitus is particularly acute - I would mention that to your doctor. There is plenty of evidence for it reducing tinnitus volune.

11. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Ludvik

Ludvik Member

Tinnitus Since:
      23/11/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Yeah I had the same experience, I was very depressive the first week on it but as I tapered off it faded. In the end it didn't do much for my T though.

I'm taking xanax which helps with the anxiety but not with tinnitus volume, would clonazepam be different enough to xanax that I should ask for it?

12. Michael Leigh

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      Clonazepam can help lower tinnitus for some people. It can be addictive if taken for long periods. If taken regularly the body quickly habituates to it and more is needed to get relief and that's when addition can set in. It can have unpleasant side effects. I have had tinnitus for many years and it got worse in 2008. Although my tinnitus improved after 2 years of TRT it could still reach severe levels. I was then prescribed Clonazepam and advised to only take it when my tinnitus was severe. I only take it occasionally and then it's usually for just two days and the tinnitus calms down.
      I would not recommend someone new to tinnitus to try Clonazepam unless it is very intrusive. In my opinion, it is better to get help via a Hearing Therapist.
      Michael

13. Candy

Candy Member Benefactor Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unidentified
      Was walking kids home with another mum today and a builder slammed a load of stuff behind us. It was like a gun shot, even my friend jumped out of her skin, worried about my quieter side which was more exposed. No plugs, nothing, it was unexpected. Think I may take Prednisone tonight, have got some...??

14. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Ludvik

Ludvik Member

Tinnitus Since:
      23/11/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Hi @Michael Leigh, were you ever prescribed xanax? They both seem to be benzos so I'm not sure if there is much of a difference. My T can definitely get very intrusive at times, I'd consider it quite severe. I'm going to book a therapy session with a councillor soon, I'll also look into hearing therapy.

15. Michael Leigh

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      Hi @Ludvik I wasn't prescribed xanax but when I first got tinnitus 20 years ago, I was prescibed Setraline and took it for around 6 months. I believe you need tinnitus counselling and not just 1 or 2 sessions. You are in early stages of tinnitus and it can cause a lot of upheavel but it will settle down...
      Michael

16. david c

david c Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2012
      Hi Ludvik, if you are already taking xanax then it may be best to be cautious before taking clonazepam at the same time but certainly clonazepam has been shown by considerable research to have a reductive effect on tinnitus volume (Oh and as tinnitus is subjective nobody can justify saying to you "my tinnitus is/was much worse than yours and therefore it was OK for me to have clonazepam but not OK for you.")