Pregabalin (Lyrica)

Discussion in 'Treatments' started by Louise, Feb 28, 2013.

1. Pleasure_Paulie

Pleasure_Paulie Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise or maybe... unicorns!
      It's very similar but less potent (so you take a higher dosage vs Lyrica). I found the side effects more tolerated, but it does make you put on weight and make you feel drowsy like all this medications do. Lyrica gave me headaches as I tried to increase the dosage.

2. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Louise

Louise Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      29/06/2012 worsened Jan 2017 & Dec 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure
      So if Pregabalin doesn't reduce the noise then Gabapentin is unlikely to do you think? Or do they both work a lot differently?

3. Pleasure_Paulie

Pleasure_Paulie Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      You would need to try both of them I'm afraid. I found Gabapentin better and maybe reduce the noise slightly, where as Lyrica did nothing at all for me.

Just remember, we are chasing rainbows here. Mostly these drugs will do nothing for majority of people, however anecdotally they seem to help the occasional person.

4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Louise

Louise Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure
      What does is best?

5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Louise

Louise Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure
      How odd, don't know what I meant by that post. Just in a state.

6. undecided
      Breezy

undecided Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown.
      Both gabapentin and lyrica do nothing for tinnitus. But they are powerful central nervous system depressants and can make one care fuck all about t.
      If i had to choose though, i'd take gabapentin. Better high at a lower dose (well, dosages are kinda open to debate, 50mg Lyrica is about 250-300mg Neurontin). Combine with benzos and whiskey. Tinnitus gone, sleepy time.
      Hey, I am no doctor but i'm close to getting a Phd when tinnitus is concerned. Just don't follow my advice, ever. Or do and live a short life, possibly with frequent hemocatharsis visits but quiet ears.

• Like Like x 2
    7. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Louise

Louise Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure
      Why do you prefer Gabapentin? And doesn't it build tolerance whereas Pregabalin doesn't really or at least not quickly.

8. Jiri
      No Mood

Jiri Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise + injury
      Well, I checked with my GP and it exists in my country. Risking taking it and getting visual snow just seems not worth it.
      So in other words antidepressants even in combo (Pregabalin + Clonazepam) will give you tinnitus if you don't have it already or make it worse if you already have it?

9. dpdx
      Disappointed

dpdx Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Onset:09/23/2017 Worsened: 1/17/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma, worsened by caloric test/VEMP test 90db nhL
      what is visual snow?

10. Liam_Cairns

Liam_Cairns Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Originally loud Music and was worsened by Micro-suction
      Its basically like this grain you see over your normal vision, a good way to describe it is like that weird film grain that old movies had. Interestingly my Visual Snow occurred shortly after devloping tinnitus.

11. dpdx
      Disappointed

dpdx Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Onset:09/23/2017 Worsened: 1/17/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma, worsened by caloric test/VEMP test 90db nhL
      F*** that

• Winner Winner x 1
    12. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Louise

Louise Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure
      Ive found someone who may prescribe Lamotrigine. How do you rate it for noise reduction?

13. Liam_Cairns

Liam_Cairns Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Originally loud Music and was worsened by Micro-suction
      Like tinnitus it can be super mild or super bad, mine is thankfully very mild and has not increased in tandem with my tinnitus.

14. Pleasure_Paulie

Pleasure_Paulie Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      It might thin the sound out slightly. It will mostly make you not care or notice it as much. Give it a few weeks; I found the drug had different results the longer I took it.

15. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Louise

Louise Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure
      Thanks. I might try it one day. On advice from a private doctor I consulted with yesterday I've increased the Pregabalin by 50mg and the Mirtazapine to 7.5mg (half a tab) and I'm definitely feeling a LOT better today.

• Like Like x 1
    16. bictors
      Dreaming

bictors Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2014
      Hi i am from Chile.
      Righ now i am taking Prestat (PREGABALINA 75mg) This is my five day and i feel a little better.
      I have tinnitus (over 3 year) I always hear it, in noisy areas too, I mean, I'm well used to it.
      But yestarday in the night, silent place, It was very low, and it caught my attention because for a brief period it seemed like I did not hear it.

Today I hear it again but I feel it softer, If I cover my ears I keep listening to it softer than the usual.

• Like Like x 1
    17. Danny Boy
      Cheerful

Danny Boy Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      7/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection
      That's odd because lyrica increased my tinnitus. Well, just watch out wouldn't want you having worse tinnitus. It's great though you're have good results.

• Like Like x 1
    18. TheDanishGirl
      Sad

TheDanishGirl Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2017 (H since 06/2017)
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      long term noise exposure (headphones), maybe some stress.
      I will probably end up on Pregabalin when I lay of the benzo's completely.....I am doing a slow taper of benzo and so far I am only 17% reduced and I already feel my anxiety raising :( My doctor has suggested Pregabalin. Hope it will have a good effect on me.

19. Danny Boy
      Cheerful

Danny Boy Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      7/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection
      That's just to increase GABA in the brain to help with the withdrawal, but lyrica has it own withdrawal symptoms.

• Agree Agree x 1
    20. TheDanishGirl
      Sad

TheDanishGirl Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2017 (H since 06/2017)
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      long term noise exposure (headphones), maybe some stress.
      The sad thruth yes. But Venlafaxine is supposed to be one of the hardest AD's to come of off, and I did that succesfully 3 months ago without much struggle.....maybe because I was only on it for a few months, but I do not plan on taking Lyrica for more then 6-12 months max., so maybe it wont be so bad.....I don't know.....all I know is, if I go back to my starting point with T, where I had raging anxiety all day long, I will have to take something for it........cause that is no life worth living.

• Hug Hug x 1
    21. Nebras5
      Batty

Nebras5 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      sertraline , clonazepam , zolpidem
      Not good for long term because you will become addicted to it and withdrawal symptoms are horrible

• Useful Useful x 1
    22. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Louise

Louise Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure
      Hi Sandra,
      I need to add my thoughts here. I am just like you with Tinnitus - I could not live with the anxiety, it was debilitating. For me Pregabalin has literally been a life saver. 3 times now. It has such a remarkable effect on my anxiety. It basically lets you live normally again. I have no side-effects from taking ot except it slows your thinking a bit. I only noticed that because of my job in computing where I was mega-sharp.
      In addition, I have come off it twice in the past 5 years once Id got more of a grip with the T and its worsenings and did not suffer one side-effect, not one. It was easy and I didn't even notice.
      That is my experience of this drug. And I am sensitive to medication, chemicals and electromagnetic fields too so its not like I'm as tough as old boots regarding drugs.
      Its a fabulous alternative to Benzos with no real tolerance building.
      I'd try it without fear if I were you.
      Feel free to PM me.
      Louise.

• Like Like x 1
      • Informative Informative x 1
      • Friendly Friendly x 1
    23. Zok

Zok Member

Tinnitus Since:
      not sure, likely 10+years
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      don't know maybe loud sounds
      Aren't Pregabalin and Gabapentin supposed to be bad for tinnitus? I am not sure if T is a side effect for some of these drugs, but for Carbamazepine, which is similar drug type, it is. Also Gabapentin should be less ototoxic than Pregabalin.

24. Jiri
      No Mood

Jiri Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise + injury
      Pregabalin isn't ototoxic (a direct damage to the hairs inside cochlea) as far as I know. Not too sure about neurotoxicity tho but it should only affect the peripheral nervous system.

I didn't find "T" as a possible side effect in the patient info leaflet either...

25. Zok

Zok Member

Tinnitus Since:
      not sure, likely 10+years
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      don't know maybe loud sounds
      Do you use some of these meds and you have no T increase? Because some forum members think T increases because of it.

Also I see you have T for just few months now, so I wonder if you tried HBO?

26. Jiri
      No Mood

Jiri Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise + injury
      Well, tbh I have a mad spike as of now but that's because I was exposed to one loud explosion and like 4 days later to an ambulance siren...

Yes, forum members. I asked specifically 4 psychiatrists who are the ones that normally prescribe these type of drugs (for anxiety i.e.) if it's ototoxic or whether it can cause tinnitus. The answer was always "No.". Psychiatrists do have to take neurology classes and they did have pharmacology during their studies so I try to believe them. On that note, I asked ENTs about the drug and the reply was "It is not ototoxic. However, there is a difference between neurotoxicity and ototoxicity and potentialy any type of a drug can cause ringimg in the ears/head as a side effect."

I tried HBOT - 10 sessions and it had no real effect on my tinnitus.

27. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Louise

Louise Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure
      Well my neurons are just fine and I've taken it for some months.

HBO - you have to do minimum 20 consecutive sessions at full depth for at least 1 hour.

The body uses the increased Oxygen for repair so you like have to give it a fighting chance of 20 hours mending time.

28. Jiri
      No Mood

Jiri Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise + injury
      I'm still a tad nervous about taking Pregabalin thx to this site: http://hearinglosshelp.com/blog/dont-get-hooked-on-drugs-such-as-pregabalin/ and also tinnitus is mentioned as a possible side effect here - this time a valid source:
      http://www.pdr.net/drug-summary/Lyrica-pregabalin-467

Therefore I got in touch with one of the research ENT docs at the hospital and he pointed me into a clinical test trial of the drug that was tested on a nearly 9000 volunteers before Pregabalin was officially introduced to the market. None of them, according to SPC, mentioned tinnitus as a side effect. Given how annoying this condition is, it is not likely that it'd be overlooked. Furthermore, in the European Review for Medical and Pharmacological Sciences, Pregabalin was tested for ototoxicity along with many other drugs. Pregabalin, according to this publication, belongs to the "vertigo-generating drugs" and not "tinnitus-generating drugs".

• Like Like x 1
    29. Pleasure_Paulie

Pleasure_Paulie Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unfortunately there is no guarantee with any pharmacological treatment. The drug certainly is not known to be ototoxic, thus does not cause physical damage to the ear but it could cause aggravation to your Tinnitus that will most likely stop one the medication is stopped.

Unfortunately, tinnitus is common and just like many antidepressants Lyrica is a very very popular drug so a percentage of people will even if its coincidental.

30. Kathy Warren

Kathy Warren Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Stress anxiety arhtritis in neck mefication
      Hi has anyone got any views on pregabalin?

I have been told that it will reduce my severe anxiety and also severe pain i am in from various forms of arthritis. But have also been told that it will decrease my tinnitus but then have been told it will increase it??

I am totally in state. Tinnitus is soo bad today. Am crying. Had tinnitus for 35 years and after a couple of years it went well I stopped hearing it.

8 years ago it came back with vengeance along with a total phobia of all kinds meds in case it was made worse. I need 3 ops but am afraid of meds used. It goes up and down couple weeks ago it seemed to completely disappear it was really strange I went to hypnotherapist to try to get over phobia of meds and instead making it better has made it worse! It is so loud today I am clutching at straws here.

Can anyone help? CD hypnosis have made it worse? I only chanced it to try to get rid of phobia.

Also pregabalin, would it work (only asking - I don't suppose I will take it)

I need to go to dentist, frightened the noise will make it worse. Terrified hypnosis has permanently affected it. Thank you.