Pregabalin (Lyrica)

Discussion in 'Treatments' started by Louise, Feb 28, 2013.

1. juliob
      Confused

juliob Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Antidepressants / Loud Sound Exposure
      I didn't get tinnitus from lower doses but only when I reached 300 mg. I almost always had a spike 1 hour after my afternoon dosage (second 150 mg intake).

Unfortunately, I might need higher doses to deal with burning brain from benzo tolerance. Some ENTs specialized in tinnitus where I live even prescribe Pregabalin for it.

I am still not tapering off Lyrica and using 225 mg daily. I am switching ADs (Sertraline to Fluvoxamine) and keeping the other treatments the same to not confound stuff.

Thank God my tinnitus is the same volume-wise, and it seems even less intrusive.

I intend to taper off Lyrica once I find my Luvox sweet spot.

• Informative Informative x 1
    2. Sayeed

Sayeed Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      4/1/21
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unsure
      I take Gabapentin. No adverse effect on my tinnitus. I take 400 mg twice a day.

3. juliob
      Confused

juliob Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      So... any new inputs on this? I am over the fence on updosing it as it helps with benzo tolerance/withdrawal symptoms.

4. AVIYT
      Wishful

AVIYT Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      January 2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Pregabalin
      I wouldn't take Pregabalin. I continue to blame it for my tinnitus. And even if I were to get tinnitus later in life, at least I'd just have that. Pregabalin also ruined my memory, vision, gave me terrible side effects and intrusive thoughts... terrible stuff.

• Informative Informative x 2
      • Hug Hug x 1
    5. juliob
      Confused

juliob Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I am aware that I will need to taper it slowly after being on 225 mg for more than 2 months. It helps me a bunch with my worst benzo tolerance symptoms but I don't want to gamble regarding tinnitus.

6. Taw

Taw Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Pain hyperacusis since 03/2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma (drum lessons)
      My neurologist said to take 150 mg a day for 3 months, instead of Dulotexine, which gave me horrible side effects. Hope it works better with this one.

7. juliob
      Confused

juliob Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      What do you take Pregabalin for?

I started taking PQQ yesterday and I am thinking I am going to like this supplement.

8. kingsfan
      Haunting

kingsfan Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      9-17-2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      turning everything up to 11
      I don't have any experience with Pregabalin, but Gabapentin increased my tinnitus while I was on it. It went back to normal after discontinuing. You'll probably just have to try a low dosage first and see what happens.

9. Taw

Taw Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Pain hyperacusis since 03/2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma (drum lessons)
      Continuous burning pain from noxacusis.

10. Nick47

Nick47 Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Viral/noise
      At higher doses Pregabalin closes potassium channels. Read up.

I would avoid it as it's not the same MoA as Gabapentin. No wonder it has no support. We didn't really know until post 2018.

11. momus

momus Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/1998
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      antibiotics
      I've been taking 400-800 mg of Gabapentin nightly for 6-7 years, no problems as yet but everyone is different. It seems to have helped the nephropathy in my hands and plays well w/ other medications. I research every drug thoroughly before taking it. This has caused me to switch doctors three times during the last 2 months because, surprise, they refused to listen to my tinnitus concerns after researching the meds they were fixated on prescribing.

My medical people in Albuquerque were nurse practitioners, which I much prefer to doctors, and they saw me at a First Nation Tribal Healthcare facility. It was the best health care I've ever had, mainly because they would listen. We would work together to find meds that didn't cause issues w/ tinnitus or my other health issues. You would think that would be the norm, but now I know it's the exception.

12. Nick47

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Viral/noise
      It seems people fall into subgroups.

Given this is the Pregabalin thread and as we unravel more about tinnitus, I wanted to shed some light on how something related to Gabapentin doesn't seem to have any successful studies in tinnitus. Not even case studies really.

It may boil down to recent findings:
      Gabapentin Is a Potent Activator of KCNQ3 and KCNQ5 Potassium Channels

In other words, if you are going to choose between the two, Gabapentin is a better option.

13. juliob
      Confused

juliob Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I have already been on Pregabalin for more than a year. Is it an option to do a direct switch or would I need to taper Pregabalin anyway?

• Good Question Good Question x 1
    14. Nick47

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Viral/noise
      That is a question for your GP. I would think a straight switch but Gabapentin would need to be taken 3-4 times a day as it has a much shorter half life.

15. StoneInFocus
      Badass

StoneInFocus Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Hearing damage, ear infections
      Pregabalin can interact synergistically with Kv7 channel openers to exert antinociception in mice

Attached Files:

• Informative Informative x 2
    16. JayZee
      Stressed

JayZee Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Nortriptyline / Hydromorphone / Unknown
      Why would researchers investigate adding two drugs (Flupirtine or Retigabine) that have already been discontinued or banned due to bad side effects?

17. StoneInFocus
      Badass

StoneInFocus Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      The answer is in the article.

"Although retigabine and flupirtine (the first-generation Kv7/KCNQ channel openers) have
      been discontinued from the market because their structure-related adverse side effects, targeting Kv7/KCNQ channels still presents a promising strategy for therapy of chronic pain (Liu et al., 2021)."

• Helpful Helpful x 1
    18. Gnl1986

Gnl1986 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unsure
      I've been on Pregabalin for 7 years. I have developed nerve issues that look very similar to MS, and I swear Pregabalin is the cause of it!

I take around 900 mg a night, sometimes more.

I find Pregabalin makes my tinnitus much worse when I take higher dosages.

I have been trying to reduce how much I take, but because I take it to help fall asleep, I reduce my dose by taking more Zopiclone.

When I run out of Zopiclone early, I boost my Pregabalin back up, and the cycle continues month after month. I have tried to quit Pregabalin for years.

When I try quitting Pregabalin, I get painful burning pins and needles through my whole body. It's worse than benzo withdrawal. I've wanted Xanax to come off of them but can't get my doctor to agree.

Pregabalin obviously works on the GABA receptors, and GABA imbalance leads to tinnitus. Zopiclone also affects GABA levels.

My tinnitus is less when I'm down around 450 mg of Pregabalin with 23 mg - 30 mg of Zopiclone. I do get sleepy the next day. Having naps also help with tinnitus.

I think most of the drugs mentioned on Tinnitus Talk greatly influence GABA levels which causes tinnitus; too much GABA will give you more tinnitus. But the calming properties may relax enough to decrease tinnitus. Be careful not to take too much which causes too much GABA.

• Informative Informative x 3
    19. Nick47

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Viral/noise
      This is because at higher doses Pregabalin closes potassium channels.

20. StoneInFocus
      Badass

StoneInFocus Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I wonder why there are so many horror stories of Lyrica compared to other calcium channel blockers.

Pregabalin blocks α2δ subunit-containing voltage-gated calcium channels. Are these particular channels expressed in parts of the body where its blockage results in relatively more negative effects compared to blocking the calcium channels in other parts of the body?

So far instance, maybe α2δ subunit-containing voltage-gated calcium channels are quantitatively more expressed in the central nervous system and blocking them results in nasty tinnitus worsening, and maybe L type calcium channels are more predominantly expressed in the heart and smooth muscle so blocking them results in more heart related effects = better option for tinnitus & hyperacusis sufferers? Hence why Nifedipine is often prescribed to treat heart and blood flow related illnesses?

Maybe it has to do with tissue distribution, or in other words where the drugs 'end up' in the body, but I don't really know much about that.