Pregabalin (Lyrica)

Discussion in 'Treatments' started by Louise, Feb 28, 2013.

1. Jiri
      No Mood

Jiri Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise + injury
      I only can't drive a car now because I am on Clonazepam. I'll be tapering off so hopefully in 2 weeks time I'll be able to drive again.

How about yout tinnitus? Did you experience any change in tone, pitch or volume while on Pregabalin? Btw I am happy to hear about your hearing test being better than the previous one.

Also, I've got some other links on ototoxicity as well: http://hlaa-sbc.org/wp-content/uploads/2013/11/Ototoxic_Brochure.pdf and https://www.ehealthme.com/ds/pregabalin/tinnitus/

According to those websites Pregabalin does not seem to cause/worsen your Tinnitus.

Cheers,

Jiri

2. Pleasure_Paulie

Pleasure_Paulie Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise or maybe... unicorns!
      @Jiri Try Gabapentin. It's the older brother to Lyrica but I found the side effects more easily tolerated vs Lyrica. It works well with Clonazepam too and has more literature to support its "potential" benefit for tinnitus.

If any of the meds did anything, perhaps Gabapentin may have slightly changed the tone. Lyrica did nothing for my Tinnitus.

• Informative Informative x 1
    3. Jiri
      No Mood

Jiri Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise + injury
      Thanks for the recommendation. I'll sure ask my doc about that the next time I see her.

4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Louise

Louise Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      29/06/2012 worsened Jan 2017 & Dec 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure
      Pregabalin didnt change the T in 2013 the first time I took it. But in January 2017 when I had a worsening and had to take it again the first night I heard and sort of felt it switch it down. It was lower the next day but by day 3 the effect had completely gone and the T was back to normal.

5. Jiri
      No Mood

Jiri Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise + injury
      By back to normal you mean back to worsening?

6. Jiri
      No Mood

Jiri Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise + injury
      Ok, so a little update it's been almost two weeks I've been on Pregabalin 300 mg/a day.

Yesterday my left (better) ear started a ringing a lot more in the evening, then it calmed down, then it starting ringing a bit loud too during the day and now it seems it's calm again. I don't know if Pregabalin could cause that?

Here's what I found tho on the internet: https://www.anausa.org/smf/index.php?topic=12258.0
      "My psychiatrist called up his expert pharmacist and inquired about new drugs for tinnitus. He mentioned a study in Spain where Lyrica reduced tinnitus volume by 60% in most of the patients with severe tinnitus."

And then you read other horror stories on the net of people who blaim Pregabalin for permanently worsening their T.

Still not sure if it's a bad drug to use for tinnitus or a good one. Any pointers?

7. hans01
      Artistic

hans01 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Stress, hearing loss, sinus infections, ... ?
      I tried it once, one night, and never again, had the worst hallucinations I had in my life, scary stuff.

8. Pleasure_Paulie

Pleasure_Paulie Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unfortunately you will find many studies on many drugs that "apparently" help Tinnitus. In my own experience and use (read some of my posts - I've tried a lot of drugs!) they have not benefits me. I believe its because 1) the studies are poorly managed 2) the sample size is small 3) tinnitus often reduces and often has a smaller impact as people habituate. And 4) Many of the drugs have an anti depressant/anti anxiety effect thus you obviously are going to feel better while on them.

Yes, do you feel better while on the drug? Do you find the side effects tolerable? If not, discontinue. Remember: finding a drug that actually helps Tinnitus is like chasing rainbows.

• Agree Agree x 1
    9. Dive Master
      Tired

Dive Master Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Airbag blast
      For your records, I took Lyrica for 2 months, and 20kg... Useless and huge weight gain.

• Informative Informative x 1
    10. Jiri
      No Mood

Jiri Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise + injury
      On which piece of information did you base your statement?
      This is true. That is why I was put on it along with Clonazepam 4 mg/a day and Brintellix (Vortioxetin) 20 mg/a day. I've been on Pregabalin 300 mg/a day for 2 months now and I'm still anxious and down on life most of the time. I didn't notice any major change in my Tinnitus. Sometimes I think I'd be better off if I wasn't on any of these drugs..

As for the Ototoxic Drugs Exposed 2010 eBook book Aaron123 thinks the book is a joke:
      So where's the truth, did anyone find out already? Does/Can Pregabalin cause tinnitus or not??

Cheers

11. Jiri
      No Mood

Jiri Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise + injury
      One more thing I don't understand when researching this drugs side effects

For Pregabalin it says Otic: tinnitus (≥1%).
      https://www.drugs.com/ppa/pregabalin.html

For Lyrica (the same thing):
      Other: Common (1% to 10%) tinnitus
      https://www.drugs.com/sfx/lyrica-side-effects.html

Then according to this Dr. Seidman's (an expert on tinnitus) Treatment Protocol for Tinnitus:

Prescription Medication
      3 – Neurontin or Lyrica. These are anti-epilepsy medications that work by increasing GABA uptake in the brain. GABA is the primary inhibitory neurotransmitter in the brain and helps decrease electrical activity. Increased electrical activity can lead to seizure, tinnitus and many other neurodegenerative conditions.

Source: https://www.tinnitusformula.com/library/dr-seidmans-treatment-protocol-for-tinnitus/

So I guess the question remains. Can Pregabalin really cause/worsen tinnitus?

12. Pleasure_Paulie

Pleasure_Paulie Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Most drugs have a similar percentage with tinnitus as a side effect. With so many millions taking drugs like lyrica or even SSRIs, people will develop tinnitus (even if not related to the drug) as T is common.

• Agree Agree x 1
    13. just1morething
      Benevolent

just1morething Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      TMJ disorder, airplane barotrauma, noise exposure.
      I was on Lyrica 75mg x 2/day and 150mg x 2/day. Higher dosage seemed to make me tired. It seemed to help my tinnitus when I first started it.

14. just1morething
      Benevolent

just1morething Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      TMJ disorder, airplane barotrauma, noise exposure.
      You have to wonder about Neil Bauman's motives. He sells so many books/ebooks. Where did he find out practically every drug is ototoxic?

• Good Question Good Question x 1
    15. Pleasure_Paulie

Pleasure_Paulie Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Look up his relevent qualifications. I have written about him here before. Taking medical or otolgy advice from him is pointless. It’s a shame people can write crap on the internet and pass it off as fact.

• Agree Agree x 3
    16. Pleasure_Paulie

Pleasure_Paulie Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unfortunately in my experience most of the anticonvulsant medications make you drowsy. It became less prevalent the longer I took them. I found gabbapentin about the best, and Lamotrigine was horrendous initially. Again; you’re results will vary.

• Winner Winner x 1
    17. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Louise

Louise Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure
      Gabapentin the best for the noise or the anxiety?

18. Pleasure_Paulie

Pleasure_Paulie Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      It had the least side effects in my experience. Probably Lamotrigine was the best for noise and abexity but none was brilliant. Again, my results only.

19. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Louise

Louise Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure
      Ok, thanks.

20. Danny Boy
      Cheerful

Danny Boy Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      7/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection
      Lyrica actually made my tinnitus worse, even whilst I was taking trobalt. However, as soon as I changed over to gabapentin+trobalt I had a massive decrease in tinnitus reduction. Also, gabapentin on it's own has been trialled and not been proven to be an effective treatment for tinnitus.

21. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Louise

Louise Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure
      Did you get Trobalt prescribed for Tinnitus?

I just looked it up as I'd forgotten what it is - says GSK are withdrawing it in 2017.

22. Danny Boy
      Cheerful

Tinnitus Since:
      7/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection
      Trobalt doesn't exist anymore. Can't believe you've forgotten about it, it was the talk of the town for so long on here.

23. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Louise

Louise Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure
      I looked at so many drugs years ago when I first got it.

I'd never get a doctor to prescribe it anyway.

Do you have a substitute for it?

24. Danny Boy
      Cheerful

Tinnitus Since:
      7/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection
      For trobalt. There isn't really a substitute at the moment, but there are other medications which are targeting the potassium channels, specifically KV7 (KCNQ), unfortunately investment is slow and other conditions are taking precedence over tinnitus.

25. Pleasure_Paulie

Pleasure_Paulie Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Check the thread. Their is various studies that suggest otherewise. Although these may be poorly run studies so take with a grain of salt.

26. Danny Boy
      Cheerful

Tinnitus Since:
      7/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection
      Ah, are you referring to this study?

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/28393057

"Iran J Otorhinolaryngol. 2017 Mar;29(91):95-100.
      Short-Term Effect of Gabapentin on Subjective Tinnitus in Acoustic Trauma Patients.
      Goljanian Tabrizi A1, Safavi Naini A1, Baradaran N1.
      Author information

Abstract
      INTRODUCTION:
      Although several treatment approaches have been proposed for tinnitus, there are currently no Food and Drug Administration (FDA)-approved agents available to treat this condition. In this study, we evaluated the effect of gabapentin on the sensation of subjective tinnitus in patients with acoustic trauma referring to the ear, nose and throat (ENT) clinic of Taleghani Hospital during 2014.

MATERIALS AND METHODS:
      In this double-blind, randomized clinical trial, 103 patients with tinnitus due to acoustic trauma who were referred to the ENT clinic of Taleghani Hospital during 2014 were randomized to the gabapentin (300 mg bid, n=55) or control (n=48) groups. The two groups were then compared before and after 6 weeks of treatment using a visual analog scale (VAS). At least a 30% reduction in VAS was considered a response to treatment.

RESULTS:
      Differences between the two groups regarding sex, age, duration of disease, and audiometry results was not significant (P>0.05). After 6 weeks' treatment, the VAS significantly decreased in both groups (P<0.001), but the reduction was significantly greater in the gabapentin group compared with control (P<0.001). Forty-nine patients (89%) in the gabapentin group and 28 control patients (58.3%) responded to treatment (≥30% reduction in VAS), with the difference between the two groups being statistically significant (P<0.001).

CONCLUSION:
      We conclude that gabapentin 300 mg bid for 6 weeks is an effective treatment for acoustic tinnitus. In addition, the placebo effect in relieving tinnitus is remarkable."

• Like Like x 1
    27. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Louise

Louise Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure
      Wonder if I should try Gabapentin if I can persuade my doctor? They are never willing to prescribe off-label though.

The withdrawl of Trobalt must be a real blow for the people who got relief with it. And what about the Epileptic people who used it, what have they all moved to? Typical Big Pharma withdrawing something they no longer make much money from.

28. Danny Boy
      Cheerful

Tinnitus Since:
      7/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection
      What gabapentin? It's quite easy to get, just show them the study on its effects on tinnitus. Also, if you have GAD they'd definitely give it to you off-label.

• Agree Agree x 1
    29. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Louise

Louise Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure
      How does it differ in effects from Pregabalin?

I'd have to show studies on its usefulness for anxiety before they'd consider it I think.

30. Pleasure_Paulie

Pleasure_Paulie Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      That's the one! Again, I was not able to replicate these results longterm in my trails of the drug.