Propofol-Interrupted Tinnitus Later Suppressed by Amantadine: a Case-Report

Discussion in 'Research News' started by joejunior, Mar 2, 2013.

1. joejunior

joejunior Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2001
    2. calin
      Inspired

calin Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Oct 2011
      Interesting find Joejunior! I will post it here

J Clin Pharmacol. 2013 Mar;53(3):356-8. doi: 10.1002/jcph.6. Epub 2013 Feb 20.
      Propofol-interrupted tinnitus later suppressed by amantadine: a case-report.
      Dardennes R, Al Anbar N, Rouillon F.

Source
      Faculty of Medicine, Paris Descartes University, Paris, France; Sainte-Anne Hospital (CMME), Paris, France; Center of Psychiatry and Neuroscience, Sainte-Anne Hospital, Inserm U894, Paris, France.

Abstract
      Tinnitus is a frequent condition without consistently effective remediation. Mr V. was a 64 year old man with Behcet's disease, a generalized systemic relapsing vasculitis. Tinnitus appeared in 1998 and he had been both aware and distressed by his tinnitus 80% of his awake time. After his last colonoscopic examination, he mentioned a transient interruption of his tinnitus. Mr V. only received propofol, an anesthesic drug that selectively down-regulates glutamatergic synaptic transmission. Amantadine, another glutamate antagonist, was later prescribed and durably suppressed tinnitus. Systematically inquiry about post-anesthesia effects on tinnitus may help decide if amantadine may be tried on an individual basis.

3. calin
      Inspired

calin Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Oct 2011
      How did you find this?

4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      joejunior

joejunior Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2001
    5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      joejunior

joejunior Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2001
      i dont know if Propofol or amantadine have been assessed before for tinnitus?

6. Aisling

Aisling Member

Tinnitus Since:
      18/9/12
      I too have read that anestesia suppresses tinnitus! It makes sense that it would by calming the nerves down.
      Although the study I read stated that it was an epidural of lidocaine that worked.

7. mock turtle

mock turtle Member

Tinnitus Since:
      07/26/1992...habituated after 2 years; 11/04/11 new outbreak
      interesting, i too found that after anesthesia my tinnitus was suppressed

thanks joejunior for the find
      best
      mt

8. Aisling

Aisling Member

Tinnitus Since:
      18/9/12
      Mock turtle how long did the suppression last after the anestesia. The study I read used lidocaine through an epidural and I think the suppression was permenant. I will look at it again.

9. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      joejunior

joejunior Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2001
      propofol is anesthesia but dont think amantadine is? has anyone heard of it in relation to tinnitus ?

10. Hudson
      Cowboy

Hudson Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
    11. Hudson
      Cowboy

Hudson Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      I should have been more specific, I was referring to the amantadine. I guess I wouldn't consider propofol to be any kind of treatment any more than I would diamorphine.

12. erik
      Cool

erik Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/15/2012 or earlier?
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Most likely hearing loss
      Amantadine is an anti viral medication. Amantadine is a weak antagonist of the NMDA type glutamate receptor, increases dopamine release, and blocks dopamine reuptake. Would be interesting to know if it was suppressed permanently or do you have to take it daily to achieve this effect. Also what are the side effects of use and long term use.

• Like Like x 1
    13. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      joejunior

joejunior Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2001
      I wonder why these studies are not picked up by experts and commented on in a formal way, and if considered promising advanced further. The process seems to be too random.

14. jazz
      No Mood

jazz Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      8/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      eardrum rupture from virus; barotrauma from ETD
      It's random because tinnitus is a low profile disease with inadequate funding. Only two research and policy groups are focusing on tinnitus: the ATA and TRI. And they are small compared with other medical and policy groups. Fortunately for us, the Dept of Defense is now giving this disease serious attention because of tinnitus is a major cause of disability for new veterans.

Three clinical studies are currently testing Amantadine for various illness, none are tinnitus related. There's also many smaller trials going on with Amantadine and traumatic brain injury.

Tinnitus needs higher visibility and institutional/pharmaceutical sponsorship to investigate the various drugs that have shown promise in either attentuating or curing the disorder. There's more than a dozen drugs over the past 10 years that should be investigated.

15. Twitch

Twitch Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Sorry to dig up a 2 year old thread. I was doing some reading up as I am having surgery under anesthesia this week and found the full case report of the abstract in the OP. What interested me most was the quote below:

A carryover effect was then observed as tinnitus reappeared only 3 months after treatment removal. For the last 3 years,Mr. V. had been free of tinnitus with 1-month amantadine treatment every 4 months.

Perhaps we can have our own TT trial of amantadine :p

Full case report below:

Also some useful info on Amantadine
      Amantadine uses and side effects
      Amantadine, Old Flu Drug, Speeds Brain Injury Recovery: Study [Huffington Post]

• Like Like x 1
    16. Twitch

Twitch Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Just to report back, I came out of theater just over 24 hours ago after being sedated under general anesthetic (propofol) for 2 and a half hours. On coming around and throughout the day, there was no increase in tinnitus and sadly no temporary cessation of tinnitus either apart from a really sore throat :(

Like in this article, the subjects tinnitus disappeared for 11 days meaning glutamate excitotoxicity played a role in his tinnitus. This goes goes to show as in my case, there are various etiologies of tinnitus and what may work for one person may not work for another. This is really important when it comes to analysing trial drug efficacy and people who are on the trial whose tinnitus etiology is completely different to what the drug is targeting may not see any positive results and thus cause a trial drug being unnecessarily banished which may actually cure some cases of tinnitus with a specific etiology.

• Agree Agree x 1
    17. Quiet please
      Balanced

Quiet please Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      May 2008
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Cochlear Endolymphatic Hydrops/Hearing loss
      I recently had an auto. accident where my vehicle was slammed in the rear. I had a severe concussion, whip lash & back pain. For the back pain, I had a lumbar epidural of 2 medications and the T went completely silent for about 2 days. I also couldn't fall asleep for 36 hrs, so that was bad. When it wore off, I had the worst lumbar spine headache for 24+ hrs. and the T came back 10-fold. It was just awful!!! Its since subsided to its normal 5-6. I would never have this procedure done again.

18. Mic
      Buzzed

Mic Member

Tinnitus Since:
      -
      Could you also inform us with a little bit more information about your experience:

1. Which 2 meds were injected?
      2. For how long did you have tinnitus?
      3. What is the character of your tinnitus (pitch, both sides/one side, constant/changing etc.)?
      Note For everyone else: please describe your experience with all the details. This is important for researchers that might visit the forum.

• Like Like x 1
      • Creative Creative x 1
    19. Quiet please
      Balanced

Quiet please Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      May 2008
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Cochlear Endolymphatic Hydrops/Hearing loss
      The lumbar injection shot had 2 medicines; Lidocaine & methylprednisolone. Pretty standard in the US I've been told.
      My Tinnitus life-sentence year is on my profile; since 2008. My 9th anniversary was May 2017.
      The pitch is usually rather high and the volume varies. I base it on 1-10. when its a 6 or under, I can tolerate it and am able to basically ignore it. I perceive the sounds in my head & both ears as a buzz or hum, high pitched squeak, sound of a vibrating motor, etc. I'm blessed with a variety show.

• Like Like x 1