Protecting? Overprotecting? Not Protecting?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Jiri, Mar 10, 2018.

1. fishbone
      Shitfaced

fishbone Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      loud noise and very bad sickness
      It's hard at times to know if we truly over-protect our ears or not. My level of ringing is beyond difficult and I do try my best to not annoy it further. I have dealt with sensitive ears and it has been an on and off thing for me. I will say this much, for me (I don't know about others), If I wear protection too long (due the intensity of my ringing) it can annoy me. Our brain/mind needs to hear other sounds besides the tinnitus.

I will for sure wear good protection in spots that I know will be loud, but I try to let my brain try to hear other sounds as well.

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    2. ZFire
      Pacman

ZFire Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      2012 (mild) & 04/2021 (severe)
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ototoxicity (2012) Unknown-likely noise induce (2021)
      Hi again, @Stacken77. I think overprotection in my case wasn’t helpful either. I believe it may have lowered my sound tolerance to more excessive levels. I wore ear protection in the house all day for 1 month I would say. Even while wearing protection, my tinnitus was worsening for reasons I do not know (possible ETD related). I’m glad I stopped ASAP. Once I decided to ditch the muffs at home and even embrace the discomfort at times like my own voice for instance, I started to see improvement in my loudness hyperacusis. I can even flush the toilet now.

I think the anxiety about all sounds and the fear of worsening even while homebound got to me. Made me paranoid, and I had to tell myself I can’t behave like this anymore especially in the house. Outside however is a different story. I see myself wearing some form of protection from now on . You never know what noise will hit you unexpectedly... at least in the house it’s much more controlled.

Now in terms of reactive tinnitus, I’m really having difficulty understanding how it behaves. My tinnitus constantly fluctuates in tones and intensity. Sometimes I wish I had constant tinnitus that never changes. it’s so hard to pinpoint what exactly triggers a spike. There are times where I feel like I’m gonna spike after a longer than usual sound exposure, but one week later, it’s still the same. Then sometimes it will spike, and I spent the next few days ruminating why it spiked with no real clue as to why. One thing I will say, in the morning when I wake up, tinnitus is mostly calmer than usual but as the day continues, the tinnitus naturally starts to ramp up in intensity. I’m thinking this is brain related. This was even with 24/7 hearing protection on as well. I also mention some white noise like the air conditioner or fridge will have my tinnitus react and compete with that volume until the appliances are turned off. It happens quite frequently, but not all the time.

Right now... I’m glad I can tolerate more sounds without it giving me discomfort. I’m rooting for you and hope you will get there eventually(highly probable).

• Hug Hug x 2
      • Agree Agree x 1
    3. Stacken77
      Wishful

Stacken77 Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise (likely headphones & cars), Acoustic trauma did me in
      Thank you for sharing your thoughts and experiences @ZFire, it's great.
      That's fantastic, and I've myself seen improvements back and forth if I just try to lessen the protection. But because of the spiking, it's very hard to find an acceptable level of sound enrichment, but I'm still working on it. I've found that I'm more sensitive to high frequencies, and it makes sense as those are the frequencies that earmuffs cut out best.

I'll just stress that I firmly believe in silence and "overuse" in hearing protection right after an acoustic trauma. I also believe there are cases where hard damage is at play, and where the "sensitivity" cannot be "cured" with sound enrichment. But I do believe, as I've read numerous testimonies of it, that some people(likely including myself) can get a central sensitivity in the auditory system from sound deprivation, and this can only be fixed by reintroducing sound. I don't believe what doctors say, that protecting from moderate sounds are to "over protect", but I do believe protecting all around the clock 24/7 is a totally different thing.
      As discussed elsewhere, does this "reactivity" manifest only the noise, or after (as spikes)?
      A lot of people get spikes for clear reasons, others do not. My spikes has always set in immediately or the following night, so I most often than not know the reasons behind them. If you really can't pinpoint your spikes, then I don't think you should worry too much about it, just be sensible with hearing protection and care about your ears.
      Thank you so much @ZFire. I have hope that I'll overcome this, but it sure is tough.

Wish you well,
      Stacken

• Like Like x 1
    4. ZFire
      Pacman

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Sorry for the late reply, someone outside just blasted their leaf blower and I had to take cover for a bit. Some sounds still annoy and rightfully so...

I believe I’ve dealt with both forms of reactivity if you consider the former a part of reactive tinnitus. The spikes that happen after noise exposure are happening less frequent now though. I remember in July when my parent’s iPhone ranged full blast on the table. I felt the spike almost immediately. I think anxiety also played a role in making these spikes seem a lot worse. The spike semi increased my baseline. Also had incidents with thunderstorms and fireworks causing spikes after these events. They usually happen immediately but eventually settle. I don’t think I’ve experienced delayed spikes.

The other form of reactivity is still present. It usually occurs when I’m surrounded by white noise. The tinnitus gets much louder until the source of the sound stops. The AC and fridge are some examples. I recalled you saying that you don’t consider this reactive tinnitus.

5. Brian P

Brian P Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ménière’s disease
      I get the white noise spike. Has it improved for you at all? I had mild tinnitus from Ménière’s but was flared by Pfizer vaccine.

6. ZFire
      Pacman

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      It's an on/off ordeal in my case and that hasn't changed much. It's slightly less frequent as time has gone on... the improvement is happening at a snail's pace.

7. Wrfortiscue
      Cowabunga

Wrfortiscue Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Trauma
      Yours should improve honestly with time.

8. Wrfortiscue
      Cowabunga

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Trauma
      My hyperacusis improved from hearing sounds. My tinnitus suffered some noise setbacks though lol.

Catch 22.

• Agree Agree x 1
    9. Brian P

Brian P Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ménière’s disease
      It’s so debilitating as you guys already know. I can’t leave my house without this flaring. Everything spikes it, even the rustling of the sheets on my bed! I never knew such torture existed.

• Hug Hug x 3
    10. Wrfortiscue
      Cowabunga

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Trauma
      It’s ridiculous man.

11. Brian P

Brian P Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ménière’s disease
    12. Wrfortiscue
      Cowabunga

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Trauma
      I fake it lol.

I try to trick my brain.

• Funny Funny x 1
    13. Brian P

Brian P Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ménière’s disease
      Did you submit to VAERS? Or seek compensation from the government?

14. Wrfortiscue
      Cowabunga

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Trauma
      No. What for, lol? I doubt they will do anything tbh.

15. Brian P

Brian P Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ménière’s disease
      Need to have the numbers! If no one knows about it, they can continue to deny it's a problem. Please report it. It takes five minutes.

• Like Like x 1
    16. Wrfortiscue
      Cowabunga

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Trauma
      Ok, will do.

17. Exit

Exit Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      In other words, he’s using LOL too much and lives for sex and food :D

• Funny Funny x 1
    18. Wrfortiscue
      Cowabunga

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Trauma
      Just food… lucky if I get any sex.

19. Foamearplugssuck
      Angry

Foamearplugssuck Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/26/19
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Doing concert photography
      So, from my research, I haven't found any evidence that overprotecting "lowers" your threshold. What I have read is that overprotecting can cause your inner muscles to atrophy over time, so you won't be able to tolerate as many noises. When you feel ready to remove the earplugs [which idk when that is... trying to figure that out for myself], it's important that you slowly and gradually introduce sound back into your life since your ears are weaker. Furthermore, if you protect all the time, everything will seem louder when you take the plugs off because you're used to things being ~15-20 dB quieter.

In terms of protection, I think it's most important to protect if there is high potential for acoustic trauma. Like if you're driving there's risk of getting into a car accident or passing a firetruck. Or if you're washing dishes there's risk of dropping a plate. I personally wear earplugs during all of my waking hours, but I'm not sure how helpful that is. Maybe avoid earplugs in quiet indoor locations unless you find yourself backsliding.

• Like Like x 1
    20. Stacken77
      Wishful

Stacken77 Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise (likely headphones & cars), Acoustic trauma did me in
      This is just anecdotal though, but I think that effect is something very real, and not to be reckoned with in the long term. When I went from enriching myself everyday with sound without spiking, to protecting 24/7 in February; within 2 weeks I couldn't listen to the toilet flushing because it was too loud, and coincidentally I started to spike to everything, no secondary acoustic trauma involved. If that isn't loudness hyperacusis, when everything "sounds too loud" then I don't know what it is, but I think protecting all around the clock can cause some very real long lasting problems given enough time.

Nowadays, if I fill a glass pot of water without protection for a few seconds; it's insanely loud, and I spike for days. It also makes sense, because water filling up has some pretty high frequencies, and hearing protection usually cut higher frequencies best. I can speak with my own voice without much of a trouble, which are lower frequencies; my ears hear lower frequencies more than higher frequencies when using protection. I've therefore drawn the conclusion that my extreme overuse of protection has broken my "dynamic range". There's no damage done to the inner ear of course, but the brain has gone bonkers.

My 2 cents,
      Stacken

• Like Like x 1
    21. Vassili
      Dreaming

Vassili Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise-induced
      I don't protect when I'm at home and when I'm outside. I protect in the sense that I don't go to any loud events at all.

• Like Like x 1
    22. Vincent R
      Caffeine

Vincent R Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
      Interesting. Do you have a link available?

23. PeteJ
      Aggressive

PeteJ Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic trauma?
      I wear earplugs in anticipation of loud noise but other times, I don't.

I don't want to wear earplugs TOO OFTEN! :-(

I got a horrible spike that is probably amplifying at night. Why does this happen?!?

I passed screaming kids at a playground but this was 8 hours ago! It spiked right after but it is worse now. I am so mad at not putting my plugs in my ears. I fucking hate this shit! :(

• Hug Hug x 2
    24. fishbone
      Shitfaced

fishbone Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      loud noise and very bad sickness
      My ringing is at a level that is beyond horrible, but I will say this much. Using ear plugs when it's not loud will not be helpful to me. There is no way I cannot hear this ringing, it's loud, intrusive and bad. The only time I have a chance to not hear it is when I sleep.

As loud as this tinnitus is, I still do my best to remain relaxed and not get stressed, it's not easy at all. For ME, if i have any amplification it is due to stress and a poor diet that is placing stress on my body.

A neighbor honked his horn outside my window and I got jolted for 5 minutes. I put my earplugs in case it was going to happen again and just relaxed, it's hard to avoid things at times.

I am sorry that your ears are spiking, trust me I know the feeling.

25. PeteJ
      Aggressive

PeteJ Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic trauma?
      You sure do! It's been a while since someone posted something so on the same page as me. Yeah, the earplugs are only useful in trying to avoid a spike and hopefully avoiding/preventing potential (probable?) ear pain! It doesn't help ease the torture of the ringing/tinnitus. More likely, the opposite so it's a catch 22.

Obviously, I want to avoid a potential spike so I usually opt for plugs and when I don't, I usually regret it like yesterday.

Ironically, you mentioned sleeping. I agree with that, too! I crave sleep for that reason and also because of depression. That's depressing in itself.

Also, if I don't get enough hours of sleep, I wake up with really loud ringing. If I go back to sleep or by some miracle (rarely) get 8 hours or more (usually, I go back to sleep for that or need a nap during the day), the ringing when I wake up, seems less intense or slightly lower in volume (maybe # of tones a bit less, too). That condition doesn't last long, though. If I am lucky, maybe 30 minutes or an hour.

What about you? I wonder why that is. It's like the brain and aural mechanism "relaxes" or something, when you get into deep sleep?

BTW, my tinnitus has "intensified" just now - several tones which I often describe as "electrical tones" like power line buzzing but a bit more 'ringing" than buzzing. Fucking hate that. :-(