Pulling Out Teeth to Avoid Tinnitus Due to Dental Drills

Discussion in 'Support' started by Bill Bauer, Jun 19, 2017.

1. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Bill Bauer Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      It can also end tinnitus, for good!

• Genius Genius x 1
      • Funny Funny x 1
    2. Tinker Bell

Tinker Bell Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      SSHL from virus
      • Agree Agree x 1
    3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      It is the canine and the one next to it, towards the center.

I was going to look into getting a dental bridge to replace them. I don't know much about dental bridges...

4. Michael Leigh

Michael Leigh Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      Our teeth, gums and mouth hygine need looking after @Bill Bauer. I understand your worries and concerns. You have two choices. Either going to the dentist and getting the necessary work done or choose not to. I suggest having a word with your dentist about your concerns. I believe he or she will be most accommodating and try to make the experience there pass as smoothly as possible for you.
      Take a deep breath and go and see your dentist.
      Michael

• Like Like x 3
    5. Foncky
      Tired

Foncky Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      March 2004
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Music. Balloon. Genes.
      Do you realize you're not even thinking ?

For a bridge, they will DRILL the two teeth around the one you want to replace. It doesn't matter if those teeth are perfectly healthy, they will drill them as much as they can to support the bridge. When those weakened teeth will fail, what will you do with all your missing front teeth ? Your bone level will be too low to get implants. Dentures maybe ?

You have small cavities ? Fix them and keep your teeth, that's it. Front teeth are not like molars, the drilling won't last for ages. Come on. Now about how to manage it properly, everything has been said already on this board. Do your homework and stop to freak out.

• Agree Agree x 2
      • Like Like x 1
    6. Sen
      Caffeine

Sen Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      dunno
      Sometimes I wonder.

What's the point in having healthy teeth if the trade off is that your ears are in permanent pain? Wouldn't it be worth it to just have dentures instead?

7. Michael Leigh

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      Interesting thought @Sen and it's something I would contemplate if I knew for sure my tinnitus were to increase after having dental work. Fortunately that hasn't happened yet touch wood, in the 20 years that I've had tinnitus. I once had very severe hyperacusis. So bad I had to ask people to please lower their voice during conversation with them. Every time I went to dentist it was with great trepidation but I never noticed an increase in the tinnitus. The hyperacusis was completely cured with treatment and hope it continues to stay that way.

Michael

• Like Like x 1
    8. Foncky
      Tired

Foncky Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      March 2004
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Music. Balloon. Genes.
      So go ahead ;)

People don't seem to read. Here we are talking about two small front teeth that need small fillings replaced. We are not talking about drilling molars for hours to put metal crowns on it.

Every case is different. I'll stop commenting about dental work because every time I do, someone suggests dentures when it is not the subject at all. Will I need to repeat again that I chose a molar extraction over drilling last year ? It was a particular situation so yes, sometimes you have to do that choice because of H. When I suggest someone to go for the drilling, it's because I feel like it can be made without a spike afterwards. But people do their choices. Just do your homework before thinking about dentures, bridges or whatever.

I'm telling you : our lives are not very comfortable with T and H. They will be even less without teeth.

• Agree Agree x 2
      • Like Like x 1
    9. Sen
      Caffeine

Sen Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      dunno
      My grandmother has no real teeth left and has been using dentures for 20+ years now. She seems to be fine with it.

But I agree, it's important to do your homework.

In other news, my teeth were given a clean bill of health today by the dentist. No cavities and no bone loss. Couldn't have asked for more.

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    10. Michael Leigh

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      Good news @Sen. I had the same went to the dentist last week for my 6 month check-up

• Like Like x 1
      • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    11. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      I didn't know that drilling would be involved. I should have googled it...

I am screwed...

12. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      I guess pulling out ALL teeth is also an option, albeit a scary one. I wish I was brave enough to do this, but I can already see myself not doing it and then regretting it...

13. Foncky
      Tired

Foncky Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      March 2004
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Music. Balloon. Genes.
      One last thing before I quit. If you pull out all of your teeth, don't forget that sometimes, drilling is necessary, when a root is stuck for instance. Good luck !

You see, it's never all black or white. I'd even say that very often, with teeth, it's yellow !

• Funny Funny x 2
    14. Tinker Bell

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      SSHL from virus
      With pulling teeth there's a risk of dry socket. It's the most common complication from teeth extrication and is a pretty painful condition that causes pain where the tooth was pulled as well as facial nerve pain. I imagine the pain and stress of that could spike tinnitus.

It's treated with medication applied to the socket and/or antibiotics, which then raises ototoxic concerns and could spike tinnitus.

Plus there's the matter of altering your jaw and bite. With every new filling, my dentist has been careful to check my bite to be certain it hasn't significantly changed. A mouth full of dentures or even just gums could change how your jaw aligns. And as we know, jaw concerns can very much spike tinnitus.

So anyway you look at it, there's a risk of increasing tinnitus. In that scenario, it's probably best to take the option that has the least long term ramifications for your overall health -- which would be fixing a minor cavity.

• Like Like x 1
    15. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      It would seem so. I guess I feel good about starting this thread - now I feel a little better about taking a risk and doing those two fillings...

• Like Like x 1
    16. Tinker Bell

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      SSHL from virus
      I need to have two fillings, too. I'd be lying if I said I wasn't nervous. I was supposed to do it last fall but had to delay due to other health problems. So here I am, stuck needing to do what should be minor dental work but is more complicated now thanks to my hearing loss.

I actually saw my dentist early on for advice (my tinnitus changes when I move my head). She was super sympathetic and even called me a week later to see how I was feeling. Offered to do whatever she can during the procedure and cleanings to help accommodate me. I trust her, and I think that's a big part of why I'm okay with moving forward with fillings.

Find someone you trust. I think that will help ease some of your concerns, too.

• Like Like x 1
    17. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      When I asked my dentist about drilling for 5 seconds and taking 10 second breaks, she was noncommittal... I will have to find another dentist, as she doesn't have lasers nor does she have electric drills...

• Hug Hug x 1
    18. GregCA
      Jaded

GregCA Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otosclerosis
      What kind of drills does she have?

19. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      • Informative Informative x 1
    20. GregCA
      Jaded

GregCA Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otosclerosis
      I was asking because I've been wondering if what I had been spotting was air drills (they work like any air tool, i.e. with pressure from a compressor).

21. Ph0t0n

Ph0t0n Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      dentist drill
      There are a lot of interesting comments here. I just want to dispel one "myth" about earplugs.

A little over a month ago I was at the dentist to have an implant worked on. I've been to the dentist probably 15 times when drilling has occurred (rugby tackles and bruxism tend to pummel my teeth). This last time I thought it would be just a normal visit with a bit of drilling - no big deal. However, at one point during the procedure, the drill struck a resonance with my jaw/face bone, and it made an extremely loud and painful buzzing in my left ear. I thought it would be over soon and my mouth was full of tools and gadgets so I didn't protest, and it finally ended between 1 and 2 minutes later. It never occurred to me that this was something that would permanently alter my life.

My left ear was ringing loudly that night, but I've been to concerts before so I assumed the situation would be similar and the ringing would go away the next day. It didn't. To be honest, I'm having a hard time coping right now. Now that a month as passed I fear it is too late, but I still have a small hope that maybe it'll improve. There isn't a day that goes by where I wish I could go back in time and tell myself "Stop and say something you idiot"!

I suspect that if the drill's rotational speed had been modified the resonance would have been broken. Also, drilling in short intervals would have probably minimized the effects.

The point of all this is, and I hate to use caps-lock: EARPLUGS WON'T HELP IN ALL SITUATIONS. During my last dental procedure, the sound waves were definitely traveling through the bone and earplugs would have not made ANY difference at all. Ear-damaging resonances are probably not common - after all, it happened to me only once in the 15+ times I had drilling and thousands of people get their teeth drilled everyday with no negative effects. That being said, I do agree that earplugs would help in situations where the external sound is the source of the problem. The external sound of the drill never bothered me.

I don't blame the dentist - he definitely wasn't acting maliciously and I don't think he was being negligent. There are some scientific articles online addressing the topic of tinnitus and dentist drills, but I suspect most dentists are unaware of them. I'm an engineer, so I trust math and I believe the odds of complication are extremely small, especially if you are smarter than I was and stop if the sound gets loud.

My advice to you is: suck it up, get the drilling done, wear earplugs if you want, and stop immediately if the volume spikes. Trust me, you'll know in a second if a bone resonance occurs - it's unmistakable.

• Informative Informative x 4
    22. Greg Sacramento

Greg Sacramento Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Syringing + Somatic tinnitus from dental work
      @Ph0t0n I can relate. I received my somatic tinnitus from having low speed drilling into bone for later placement of a front lower implant. I did receive a little hearing loss, but I had somatic reaction from muscle spasms in my neck and upper back and shoulders. Pressure was being applied to my jaw and by that I started to bend my head forward. Most of time, I have more high pitch in my left ear, but it moves around.

23. Lane

Lane Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Single 25 mg dose of (anticholinergic) drug Promethazine
      Thanks to all for the very interesting comments!

24. Gman
      No Mood

Gman Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ototoxic earwax drops, worsened by MDs (Muppet Doctors)
      @Bill Bauer just dose up on all the things you’ve been taking. NR, NAC, ALCAR, A, C, E, melatonin, mag etc etc.

Drilling at the front is preferrable to the molars in terms of distance from cochlear.
      Ask the dentist for regular breaks rather than one long round of drinking.

• Like Like x 1
    25. Gman
      No Mood

Gman Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ototoxic earwax drops, worsened by MDs (Muppet Doctors)
      just noticed my typo. Maybe you could have a long round of drinking before or after the drilling too.

26. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      I have two prednisone pills left. I am considering taking one before the procedure, and one after, but it will suck to not have any prednisone around...