Pulsatile Tinnitus Freaking Me Out — Please Help!

Discussion in 'Support' started by Chris Nap, Jan 16, 2017.

1. Chris Nap

Chris Nap Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Sever anxiety/unknown
      Hi everyone,

This past November after a battle with some major anxiety attacks I started getting a pulsing in my left ear. It's in tune with my heartbeat, and can hear my heartbeat as if I have a stethoscope on my chest. It usually affects me if I lay down, in a quiet room or sometimes whenever it wants really. I also have been waking up the past 6 months on and off with a rapid heartbeat.

Not sure if this ties in or not. Did a stress test and Holter monitor which everything came back normal. My ear also aches now and again.

I'm about to make an ENT appointment because I'm freaking out and my anxiety is getting worse because of this since of course I read up on Google on the issues PT can attribute from i.e. auditory neuroma, aneurism etc... don't know what to do.

2. GregCA
      Jaded

GregCA Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otosclerosis
      Make your ENT doc appointment and start the diagnosis process. It can be many things, and you may have to do some tests such as MRI to rule out acoustic neuroma (which is very rare, but you still want to rule it out), so go ahead and start.
      I also have PT every one in a while, especially after I inhale vigorously. Just now it's beating a little bit. I notice that there is some correlation with my hearing aid, as if it was inserted in such a way that it touches some part of the ear canal that increases the chances of PT.

• Winner Winner x 1
    3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Chris Nap

Chris Nap Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Sever anxiety/unknown
      Thanks, that's what I plan on doing today. I went to an urgent care a few weeks ago because I wasn't feeling well and mentioned these symptoms and that's exactly what the PA told me it could be but said to try the sinus medication she gave me first before making the appointment. I know those grow very slowly and are usually just monitored, but I think I would just want to have surgery to get rid of it. Thanks for the reply!

4. glynis
      Feminine

glynis Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      Try to stay calm.
      Tests can be done like a ultrasound etc.
      You could be picking up your pulse from your carotid atrery.
      There is a lady who comes along to the tinnitus group I run with another lady.
      She has pulsatile tinnitus and hearing loss.
      She now takes a small beta blocker and wears hearing aids and now copes really well and all her confidence has come back and emotionally well after the first few months of panic.
      Things will get better and their is help for you....lots of love glynis

• Like Like x 1
    5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Chris Nap

Chris Nap Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Sever anxiety/unknown
      Thanks for the reply! I saw an ENT today actually and my hearing tests came back normal. He told me to take Flonase for a month and then come back. If no improvement then he will do an MRI/Cat scan. Thanks for the good vibes

• Hug Hug x 1
    6. RawrrMarisa

RawrrMarisa Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      My doctor tried giving me a nasal spray too. Nothing helped. Have you got any updates for us?

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Hug Hug x 1
    7. kaylarose43

kaylarose43 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      3/0/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      vascular loop pressing on nerve, empty sella syndrome
      Hello, try not to panic because stress does make the noise worse. The likely hood of having a major illness as the cause is small. Just to be sure, I would be adamant about getting a MRI with angiography or a CT angiography. Also, an MRI scan of the internal auditory canal is not a part of a normal MRI of the brain. So getting that scanned also could be benificial. The angiography is just dye imjected through an iv to show blood flow. An MRI is longer, usually around a half of an hour long. A Ct is fast but does expose you to ionizing radiation. This isn't a huge deal, but sometimes it's better to know ones options. With a cta you will get a contrast that will make you feel warm all over. Sometimes this can freak people out, but it's perfectly normal. Also getting an ultrasound done on the carotid artery can rule out many things. You are not alone in this. If you need any tips on how to cope with the noise, please do not hesitate to ask.

• Like Like x 1
    8. James
      No Mood

James Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Pulsing 03/2013
      Hang in there @Chris Nap

Good to see you join the forum. When I first got pulsatile tinnitus, I was glad for this forum, still am. People here can relate. I have the heartbeat pulsatile tinnitus too. Like you say freaking out. I hope you can find a way to cope. A good night's sleep rested me for another day, good days and bad. Work with your doctors. I needed some help sleeping.

9. Teri in Texas

Teri in Texas Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Stroke
      Pulsatile tinnitus is not an ent thing. At least not for me. The corrotid artery is only a few mm away from the left eardrum.

In late September I had a stroke caused by a tear in my corrotid artery creating a clot and narrowing the opening. It's being treated by blood thinners. About 10 days ago I started experiencing horrific pulsatile tinnitus. When I went to my neurovascular surgeon, he said it is actually good news. It means the opening is getting larger and blood is flowing more freely.

I'm obviously not thrilled that this whoosh whoosh nightmare will continue until the artery heals completely because the the annoyance is simply overbearing. However, a ct scan with contrast did indeed confirm a bit of improvement in blood flow.

My advice to fellow sufferers is to stop thinking of pulsatile tinnitus as tinittus. Tinittus is an ear/hearing thing. Pulsatile tinnitus is a blood in your brain thing. See a neurologist, not an ent.
      Take it seriously. Especially if you've already had a stroke.

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    10. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Chris Nap

Chris Nap Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Sever anxiety/unknown
      Thanks for all the replies. Here is the update. I had an MRA done not an MRI which came out normal. I'm not really having the rapid heartbeat anymore at night but still hear the pulsating in my ear with not much improvement. My MD put me on metoprolol due to me all of the sudden having prehypertension so that concerns me. I'm going to my MD Monday and going to request an MRI to rule out an acoustic neuroma. Another symptom I'm having now as well is feeling the pulsing sensation in my head too not just the sound. I will send another update after the MRI. Thanks everyone!!!

11. SCORPION

SCORPION Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Usmc shooting weapons
      It would not hurt to have an allergy test, maybe something you are eating could be messing with you. Hope all is well brother just take it easy, stress only compounds the situation... Curly

• Like Like x 1
    12. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Chris Nap

Chris Nap Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Sever anxiety/unknown
      Thanks! I spoke to my physician and they are sending me to a neurologist to further discuss the issue. This issue is starting to get expensive lol thanks for the suggestion Teri! Never thought about allergies but the ENT did try the nasal spray and nothing improved along with allergy meds. Have my Neurologist appointment in December Thanks everyone

13. SCORPION

SCORPION Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Usmc shooting weapons
      You know I just read that 60% of those affected by tinnitus are low in B12. No help in my case but found that to be interesting. CURLY

• Like Like x 1
    14. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Chris Nap

Chris Nap Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Sever anxiety/unknown
      Actually just had my B12 and testosterone checked ironically which were normal. That is interesting though.

Thanks!

• Like Like x 1
    15. Mulucca

Mulucca Member

Tinnitus Since:
      October 2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Came after heart surgery
      I too have PT started for me about a month after a out of the blue heart attack and 2 stents in my artery. Cardiologists say not related. Doctor said not with investigating as generally you can't find a cure so try a hearing aid. So I didn't do anything about it. Obviously initially it freaked me out which made it worse and left me in a state of panic.

It's been 2 years since and I've learned to cope with it. Sometimes I use those putty like ear plugs at night to help me sleep, music and anything or one to drown out the noise and sensations. Oddly it goes away for hours when I really elevate my heart even for short bursts.

I think also now I'm a lot calmer about it, it has got better and occasionally disappears by itself and that's not just cos I'm ignoring it. Yoga tends to help since it calms you down I find I can handle it. At the time it happened I had gone vegan, dropped nearly a stone of weight, lost muscle mass, stopped exercising. So for me there are so many variables and I'm working though them slowly.

Personally I'm now going to look at replacing aspirin for an alternative and investigate why the elevated heart rate makes a difference so will speak to my doctor to who would be the best person to see.

Anyway hope things improve for you but while it doesn't use other means to help you stay calm and try other distractions.

16. Sjskskskokko

Sjskskskokko Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Any update Chris?

17. tiniturtle

tiniturtle Member

Tinnitus Since:
      3/19/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Paromomycin
    18. Purva

Purva Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Vascular loop
      Hi

Is your tinnitus coming from vascular loop only?

19. Heartbeat

Heartbeat Member

Tinnitus Since:
      August 2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Hey Chris, i know this is older but you haven't been back and I wonder if you are alright?
      I have the same exact symptoms. Thanks