Q&A: Tinnitus Hub Meets Neuromod (Lenire)

Discussion in 'Treatments' started by Tinnitus Talk, Nov 13, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
    1. RCP1
      Ape-like

RCP1 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      If you pay thousands of euros you will of course be able to keep the device which intrinsically isn't worth much.

There's no way that they could charge those fees for a rental + people may want to keep using the device...

2. RCP1
      Ape-like

RCP1 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      No, he said there was no improvement in LDL for Hyperacusis - just that the tinnitus levels in Hyperacusis patients improved twice as much as the rest...

• Like Like x 1
    3. RCP1
      Ape-like

RCP1 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      If you need an Irish address to make the appointment and see the audiologist I can help with that... I don't think it'll be a problem.

• Like Like x 2
    4. Jcb
      No Mood

Jcb Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      December 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      possible TMJ, came on after severe cold and chest infection,
      Yeah that makes sense. Cheers mate.

5. TuxedoCat
      No Mood

TuxedoCat Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Ambassador Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      High-frequency hearing loss
      Unknown at this point, Jcb. Neuromod have been so involved with the clinical program they haven't yet decided many of the business aspects. -TC

• Like Like x 1
    6. RCP1
      Ape-like

RCP1 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Good night - sleep well - help is finally on the way. The Irish cavalry is on the way!

• Funny Funny x 5
      • Winner Winner x 2
      • Agree Agree x 1
    7. JohnAdams
      Festive

JohnAdams Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      May 1st 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Aspirin Toxicity/Possibly Noise
      Why is that bookshelf so empty?

• Funny Funny x 5
      • Like Like x 1
    8. Eric N

Eric N Member Podcast Patron Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2012, 03/2016, 05/2017, 05/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise + 3 major increases via (shouting / MRI/ flu+Tylenol)
      Can someone please clarify the availability for people outside of Ireland?

Will I be able to travel from Canada and try this device as soon as it's released?

It is mentioned that you need to be under the care of an audiologist. I'm not sure what that means, is he talking about the audiologist that gives you a hearing test and all that?

9. RCP1
      Ape-like

RCP1 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Don't start! Go to bed! Enough of the Neuromod bashing or I'll get you added to the blacklist and you'll never get one! Lol

• Like Like x 4
      • Funny Funny x 4
      • Informative Informative x 1
    10. RCP1
      Ape-like

RCP1 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      I think what I'd do is four 12 week sessions with a week in between... Four treatments in the year lol. 4 reductions.

After session 1 0.7T
      After Session 2 0.49T
      After Session 3 0.343T
      After Session 4 0.24T

Effectively 1/4 of tinnitus remaining after 1 year...

• Like Like x 1
      • Funny Funny x 1
    11. RCP1
      Ape-like

RCP1 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      So much time went into this - I am going in now to donate $20 to Tinnitus Talk - If everyone does the same it'll give something back for the guys time... What you all think?

• Agree Agree x 2
    12. OnceUponaTime
      Wishful

OnceUponaTime Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      11/11
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      Fantastic job!!! @Steve, @Markku and @Hazel how can we ever thank you enough for all you have done. Sending you much love and my respect.

Ok, so when the question was asked if people from other countries could go and buy the device in Ireland he did not say no. My understanding is, that he said, that people need to have a hearing test done and be under the care of an audiologist for the 12 month period.

I think (MHO) is that he cannot say yes for different reasons but kinda left it open for me to think that yes, I can have my husband go to Ireland and buy it and bring it here (NY) and have my audiologist set it up for me.

What do you guys think?

He said the device is simple to setup. Any audiologist can do it with no training.

Once he mentioned the FDA and the back and forth process that it might take with them, it kinda bummed me out a bit. Knowing how the FDA works it might take a long time for them to approve it here in the USA. (sigh)

But did he say if they are already in process with the FDA? Breaks my heart to think something that can help me, and many others, is so close and yet so far! Talk about patience.

He also did not mention a specific date on 2019.

Once...

• Like Like x 3
    13. TuxedoCat
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      The device is programmed to your hearing loss so the tone and type of tinnitus is not a determining factor.

We know from Neuromod that two thirds of patients with tinnitus had a clinically significant improvement. So the odds or chances of it working are in your favor.

My recollection is that Neuromod have not yet identified whether those for whom the device doesn't work can be identified ahead of time. But they would like to know that and are looking at the data for clues.

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • Informative Informative x 1
    14. Jack Straw
      Balanced

Jack Straw Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      1990s
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Infection, Acoustic Trauma
      This will hopefully get fast tracked because it is the first treatment for tinnitus.

Yes, I am saying LEVO and TRT is bullshit.....

• Funny Funny x 2
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • Genius Genius x 1
    15. Eric N

Eric N Member Podcast Patron Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2012, 03/2016, 05/2017, 05/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise + 3 major increases via (shouting / MRI/ flu+Tylenol)
      So if it is that easy to set up, what is the issue? Audiologists are all over the place in Canada. I am not sure what under the care of an audiologist means though? What do they need to do apart from giving a hearing test which I have countless of over the 6 years.

• Agree Agree x 1
    16. RCP1
      Ape-like

RCP1 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      My take on it was that as they have European approval, the members of European Union he was ok with, but as they don't have FDA approval he would be uncomfortable selling to a US citizen.

That was my take - It doesn't mean it can't happen - Money is money and these will be priced with a huge margin. When they start selling them we can make enquiries for you...

17. RCP1
      Ape-like

RCP1 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Yep they're all; BS - All of them. The Tinnitus Clinic in London may as well shut their doors with their BS desentisisation treatment or whatever and their BS ACRN... Is Pawel Jastreboff still alive?

Fck em all!

Last edited: Dec 14, 2018
      • Agree Agree x 2
      • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    18. OnceUponaTime
      Wishful

Tinnitus Since:
      11/11
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      Not sure what that means either.

Yes, I kinda understood that as well. I'd very much appreciate you inquiring about that. So happy for all you in Ireland that get to try these out soon. So exciting!

19. TuxedoCat
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Generally speaking, FDA approval of a device in the US does not take as long as a drug approval. Having said that, FDA has become more rigorous in recent years when it comes to device approvals. Neuromod has a regulatory consultant who will help them thru the process.

As far as bringing a device into the US, one thing to ask about is how the device is powered. Electricity in Ireland is higher voltage than in the US so an adaptor would be needed to plug it into a US socket. If its battery powered, I don't know if Irish batteries are the same as US. Maybe @Steve knows. Plus you'll have to bring it thru customs- but depending on the cost you may or may not have to declare it. Remember, you don't want to mess with customs agents, they can make your life extremely unpleasant!

TC

• Like Like x 1
    20. RCP1
      Ape-like

RCP1 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Yep it is exciting - What I am delighted about is that the negativity has evaporated from the board now - He came across so well - so genuine, knowledgeable and well meaning that I don't think anyone could doubt the authenticity of the venture after watching the whole interview.

• Agree Agree x 4
      • Like Like x 1
    21. RCP1
      Ape-like

RCP1 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Right really am going to bed now. Feeling very positive - Good night's sleep ahead hopefully.

Thanks to @Markku, @Steve and @Hazel for their huge efforts in bringing such a positive and informative interview to us.

The first genuine Tinnitus Treatment is now on the way - Truly groundbreaking.

As historic as Alex Honnold's Free Solo of El Cap ... Maybe even more so :)

Laters

• Like Like x 4
      • Agree Agree x 2
      • Friendly Friendly x 1
    22. OnceUponaTime
      Wishful

Tinnitus Since:
      11/11
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      Thank you TC!! Great points. Yes, they did not mention a set price yet.
      @RCP1 Must be great to live in Ireland today!!!! :) Good nite!

Quite frankly, not sure that any of my questions were completely answered. Still up in the air. But it is all good.

I just want to order it online, put it on my ears and be done with it! :) Easier said than done...maybe in the future.
      Once...

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    23. TuxedoCat
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Now, wouldn't that be nice! Take care, TC

• Like Like x 1
    24. Manny
      In pain

Manny Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      1/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      central gain << NIHL
      I am a bit confused. It is mentioned that the most recent study contained three arms, with differential stimuli frequency and synchronicity comprising the difference between arms.

But, all three protocols appear to have been expected to provide some tinnitus benefit, and there seems to have been no purely placebo arm (i.e. a stimulus and frequency combination that is not expected to have any effect).

If so how can results be quantified to the exclusion of the placebo effect? Perhaps placebo accounts for the improvement quantity of the least effective arm (for example), across all arms?

• Good Question Good Question x 1
    25. Jack Straw
      Balanced

Jack Straw Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      1990s
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Infection, Acoustic Trauma
      I am pretty sure they did do a placebo group.

26. Pianist_Will

Pianist_Will Member

Tinnitus Since:
      September 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Possibly medication
      Do we know what their definition of ‘clinically meaningful reduction’ is?

It’s one of their primary end points and I suspect there might be a standard definition used across tinnitus research (e.g. a certain percentage reduction on THI). Would just be useful to clarify.

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Good Question Good Question x 1
    27. Martin69
      Artistic

Martin69 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      (Health) Anxiety
      @Markku, @Steve and @Hazel,

Thank you so much for all your efforts.

I really hope that the device works, although I stay skeptical (but that is me).
      I am one of the very severe cases and take meds to cope. Hence I will only believe in this once real patients report success. I was wondering that they did not invite people who are TOP sufferers and see how it behaves for them - even though they could be excluded from the normal trial. Helping severe cases with their device would be the best marketing they could get.

Nevertheless, the video is excellent. And the questions are excellent. The CEO answered very openly. He was very professional.

Let's hope that one of the devices developed currently will provide relief for all of us.

@RCP1, I understand your optimism. But don't let it grow too high. The height of fall could be huge.

• Like Like x 7
    28. Autumnly
      Wishful

Autumnly Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise-induced
      Initially, they want to make the device available in Ireland in 2019. After that, they’re looking at a number of other European countries in 2019 but they couldn’t specify which countries yet. In parallel, they’re pursuing FDA approval for the US. So it will be available in a limited capacity in 2019 in certain European countries.

• Like Like x 1
    29. Pianist_Will

Pianist_Will Member

Tinnitus Since:
      September 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Possibly medication
      Did he also address why the old MuteButton didn’t work and why this one was different?

• Good Question Good Question x 3
    30. EDDTEKK

EDDTEKK Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      Dear @Markku, @Steve and @Hazel! Thanks so much for this action! I do appreciate it.
      I hope this thing will be soon available in Germany, otherwise I need to travel to Ireland.

I am glad to hear that the tinnitus sound and duration don't affect the outcome and are not so relevant.

• Like Like x 2
      • Friendly Friendly x 1