Quantum Magnetic Resonance Microscopy

Discussion in 'Research News' started by Vinnitus, Mar 9, 2017.

1. Vinnitus
      Tired

Vinnitus Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      28/04/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      Just putting this out here; researchers at the University of Melbourne are developing a new non-invasive way to observe living human structures at scales smaller than 10 micrometres. This could have future implications for one of the current problems at hand; imaging and observing a living cochlea and/or it's cells non-invasively.

https://www.scientificamerican.com/...ctions-in-real-time/?WT.mc_id=SA_FB_CHEM_NEWS

For those interested, the full paper is here: https://arxiv.org/pdf/1702.04418.pdf

• Like Like x 2
      • Informative Informative x 1
      • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    2. beeeep

beeeep Member

Tinnitus Since:
      ~2000, but real bad since 06/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Quite interesting. If it would be possible to take a high-resolution look at the cochlea of people with T/HL, this would probably be a game changer. Finally, we could know what is *really* going on, instead of just guessing.

However, seems like this method is not (yet?) up to the task:

So this does not sound like it would be possible to take a look into your cochlea without cutting it open. However, after doing so, you could look at the cells without destroying them... ;)

• Agree Agree x 1
    3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Vinnitus
      Tired

Vinnitus Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      28/04/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      Hence it being an obstacle. Every journey however, begins with a first step. Seeing the recent developments in quantum technology, this can quickly become more advanced in the near future.

• Agree Agree x 1
    4. Samir
      Obedient

Samir Manager Staff Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Accoustic trauma
      Very interesting indeed!

However, I would not expect this to become available in a clinic setting in the next 10 years. But it is very promising. Hopefully it will lead to some new unexpected applications in the meantime.

I would be happy if they could make the µOCT probe available in the next 2 years.

http://www.nature.com/articles/srep33288

It would also be of great value when doing before and after comparison on a cellular level during clinical trials for all these different drugs that are supposed to deliver on the promise of hearing restoration. Assessment of cellular changes is just as important as hearing thresholds.

5. raymundo2245

raymundo2245 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      3/10/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise induced
      Hey guys, I went to a place in Mexico to have a magnetic resonance, it was done on my head and i was given a CD i would like to post here but im not computer sabi!...i was told my auditory nerve was ok whick i was very halpy to hear, but now i am more confused lol, i still have tinnitus on my left ear and it was seen on my 3d resonance that i had a small disminilisation on my brain cortex of about 3 to 4 centimiters so i asked the doctor if it was the reason for my T and he said NO!...So now i am even more puzzeled!....i have no hearing loss but i do have a high pitch on my left ear still! The name of the place is a well known place in the area of Reynosa, Tamaulipas, MEXICO...its called Christus Mugerza and the reason why i went there is because it was cheaper in mexico, i paid 300 dollars there which is alot in Mexico, versus the US!..So if anybody an help me post the results here it will be very well appreciated and hopefully it can contribute to help others, please let me know, text me if you in the US!...956 429 1410 i will be expecting a text peolpe, i would love to post it and hopefully get some help or help others visit the place if its too expensive for you.by the way, this place is very well known for its technology...