Question About My Hearing Test and Recruitment

Discussion in 'Support' started by valeri, May 31, 2018.

1. valeri

valeri Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2011
      Hi guys,

I’m still battling the decision of ENT who dismissed my claim that my tinnitus was worsened by air con noise at work.

He said: the perceived increase in loudness of tinnitus, whether at work or elsewhere, is probably a reflection of recruitment to low pitched sound.

1. I tried to find a simple explanation on recruitment and if I’m not wrong there has to be a hearing loss present for this distortion to happen (I haven’t found and reference to low pitched sound, only high pitched).

Am I right?

2. Does my hearing test of the right ear show any low frequency hearing loss?
      I guess it has to be low frequency loss if recruitment is to low pitched sounds?

Thank you!

Attached Files:

2. vermillion
      Whistles

vermillion Member Podcast Patron Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Fluconazole
      Hello Valeri,

Do you also happen to have an older audiogram to compare?
      Part of my tinnitus is also at a Low frequency range (~400hz) which ramps up super loud with sounds such as an airplane take off during a flight. I didn’t think about the recruitment till i read this thread. I find this sound as super hard to habituate, especially when I wear my earmuffs on. I also don’t have low frequency HL measured in my audiogram, although I have to do a new assessment, as this sound makes me feel that my hearing has dropped a bit. In my case and according to a new visit to a dermatologist, the tinnitus is highly likely to have been induced by an ototoxic response to Fluconazole. This explains for me the extended damage that my complicated tinnitus indicates. In any case it would be helpful to attach an old audiogram as well.

3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      valeri

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2011
      Hi,
      This one is from 09/14

Attached Files:

4. dingaling
      Asleep

dingaling Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown, probably loud music
      Audiogram essentially fine.

What does your tinnitus sound like?

Can you hear the sound of your own voice more?

Need a bit more information

5. Red
      Crappy

Red Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise Exposure (Headphones)
      Recruitment is when sound goes from being inaudible to being super loud. From what I know, it typically only occurs with severe hearing loss.

6. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      valeri

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2011
      My tinnitus is a low frequency drone/hum.
      No I don’t hear my own voice more!

Exactly my point, if there’s no low frequency loss in right ear how can I have recruitment to low pitched sounds???!!!

7. Red
      Crappy

Red Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise Exposure (Headphones)
      Are you sure you don't have bad hyperacusis?
      I know we give doctors grief around here but I'm really really inclined to believe you don't have recruitment.

8. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      valeri

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2011
      My tinnitus significantly increased after being exposed to low frequency sound of air con in the new work building.
      Now not only that the increase stayed I’m experiencing severe reaction to low frequency sounds, so either reactive tinnitus or hyperacousis.

But that’s beside the point because he dismissed my problem by saying I have recruitment.

Now if I have no hearing loss how can I have recruitment?

9. dingaling
      Asleep

dingaling Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      You don't have recruitment from the info you have supplied

Differential diagnosis likely to be Eustachian tube dysfunction or middle ear myoclonus where the stapedial or tensor tympani muscles are twitching - most likely the stapedial given the rumble

• Agree Agree x 1
    10. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      valeri

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2011
      Thank you.
      I’m taking a legal case here and not only that he dismissed my problem but he obviously has his wires crossed!
      His opinion counts in front of court and obviously he has provided faulse information.
      I think I have every right to challenge his decision.

11. Ed209

Ed209 Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2015
      Can you not get second, third, and fourth opinions? Why is your case based on one ENT drs opinion? I’d be inclined to dig deeper. This wouldn’t happen to be your employers ENT case dr would it? I hope not.

Infrasound is known to have an effect on some people as I’ve already discussed with you. That one research article even mentioned air conditioning fans directly.

12. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      valeri

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2011
      I was sent to this dr by my gp, wish it was work dr because in that case I could go elsewhere.
      Now, because I saw this dr back in 2011 when tinnitus started, it’s considered that he knows my history.
      Going to another dr in court’s eyes is seen as “doctors shopping” and doesn’t look good for me.
      If I would go with a different dr not only that I would need to pay out of my pocket (which I’m willing to do for the right person) I have to find somebody who is considered a “world expert ENT” on tinnitus!

The lawyer gave me an example of a person who developed lung condition which has been dismissed as possible by a dr here in adelaide but found world known lung expert in Melbourne who confirmed his concern and won the case.

This ENT is highly respected here so I’m banging my head against the wall. There are many lies in his reports but lawyer said discrediting his expertise is not a good idea.
      But I have to fight! This is my job, my livelihood!
      Are there any “official” links on infrasound apart from the one you provided?
      Thanks!

13. dingaling
      Asleep

dingaling Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      What, exactly are you suing him for ?

Has his (mis) diagnosis severely affected your quality of life?

Do you have enough evidence to bring a case?

Do bear in mind who the courts are likely to believe unless you have cast iron evidence that there was foul play

It may be possible that your tinnitus has got worse because you have become more stressed about a) the aircon and b), your experience with the ENT.

Usually air-con noise is very low frequency, very quiet and the noise/rumble itself can't damage hearing directly (I haven't seen any evidence to the contrary)

14. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      valeri

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2011
      I’m not suing ENT but Work!

Why would I get stressed about aircon? Even if I wanted to there was no time! This problem occurred the first day in the new building. After only 15 minutes in there I knew there’s something wrong!
      Stress stated later on!

Stress with ENT is not the cause of my problems with tinnitus.

Air cons are generally quiet but I’m not taking loudness here but frequency of the sound.
      Read ED209 post above in which ne mentioned infrasound, a sound below hearing range yet very damaging for some.
      Very interesting stuff!

15. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      valeri

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2011
      So can somebody please tell me what my hearing test shows?

16. annV
      Fine

annV Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown - possibly hereditary
      You have a small dip at 500 Hz, that's low frequency hearing loss.

17. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      valeri

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2011
      In both ears?