Questions About Your Tinnitus

Discussion in 'Support' started by Kay86, Jan 7, 2016.

1. Kay86

Kay86 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown/meds? Stress?
      Just a few quick questions to get a rough idea of things......:unsure:

A-- How long have you suffered with tinnitus?

B--Noise related/drug related/accident related/unknown?

C--What sort of noise you hear?

D--Did it start mild and get worse?

E--How do you cope when it's at its worst?

F--Has the noise changed from beginning?

G--Can you hear it over TV?

H--How many hours of sleep are you getting?

I--Does mind over matter help you?

J--Medication? And does it help?

I'm new to this site as my absolutely insane first few posts will show. :unsure: But I'm trying so hard to get to the bottom of this... as I can see everyone is doing too... :(

So I thank you in advance.
      Kay x

• Like Like x 1
    2. linearb
      Psychedelic

linearb Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

beliefs are makyo and reality ignores them
      Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:

some mixture of noise and drugs, probably.
      13-14khz EEEEE noise like a CRT monitor; some other quieter sounds that are less bothersome.
      It was stable until a further noise trauma combined with a panic attack in 2011 that significantly worsened it. I believe it has been stable since.
      Meditation, exercise, sex.

3. MeepMawp

MeepMawp Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Being Born
      A-- How long have you suffered with tinnitus? For as long as I can remember, so at least 12 years. Has become more severe in the past 5.

It seems to run in my family, but noise has probably been an aggravating factor.

A high pitched eeeeeeeeeeeee actually quite similar to the pitch that you hear in movies.

Mood enough that I could get through a day without it bothering me. Now I can't even cope with quiet environments without being reduced to tears.

Coping isn't the word I use. I usually end up crying or playing cricket noises. Or both.

4. Pljadely@aol

Pljadely@aol Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12-26-2015
      I just got it as well I the noise is extremely loud now and I feel like I'm going crazy I'm wondering if the Dr can give me anything to fade the noise I've had it for 2 days straight and a 2nd hearing not till Feb. Any suggestions?

5. Natalie Roberts
      Haunting

Natalie Roberts Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Pregnancy or mild hearing loss.. Who knows.
      A-- How long have you suffered with tinnitus?
      10 weeks, give or take.

They think it's pregnancy induced of caused by mild hearing loss in the upper ranges of my right ear. Also, I believe high amounts of stress and anxiety are partly to blame. They're not sure though and basically told me to wait until (a few months) after I'm no longer pregnant / or breastfeeding (for hormones, blood volume, Etc to return to normal) and see if it improves. If not, get a second hearing test and go from there.

Ultra high pitched electrical static which varies in intensity and volume. Or sometimes it sounds more like a sizzling sound (think someone cooking something in grease on the stove).

It was worse (or my perception of it was worse) in the beginning. I now have good days and bad days and periods during good day where it is very intrusive but they fade in and out. Also certian times of the day it is more bothersome like in the mornings and evenings. It's also reactive to loud noises so watching tv, driving or being around a bunch of loud people in a group session makes it worse. Basically it fluctuates a lot but my ability to cope is better.

Thinking that tomorrow may be a good day.. Mindful meditation. Taking alone time focusing on my breathing. Taking a shower. Tinnitus talk support and success pages..Going outside. Distraction. Sometimes crying helps ;)

6. Tweaker
      Transparent

Tweaker Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure
      A - Mild since childhood, bad since 2010
      B- Defo noise aggravated. Maybe also TMJ, teeth problems and facial nerve pain.
      C - electrical high pitches, ringing, humming (multiple sounds)
      D - Yes.
      E - Still working on that one 6 years later. Sometimes play guitar, walk outdoors or cycle. Mostly it beats me into a quivering wreck.

7. Pumpkin
      Batty

Pumpkin Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2015
      Hi @Kay86,

1. Had my T for 6 months now.

2. Got my T from an ear infection which perforated my ear drum.

3. It's a fluttering mid/high pitch beepy sound. It's very odd and I've not heard anyone describe theirs as similar on this site. It's very odd....it's like some sort of alien morse code!

4. Mine was really severe to start with but has steadily improved despite having other ear infections in the meantime!

5. I'm a Yoga teacher so I've been utilising everything that my Yoga practice can offer me to get me through this. I'm currently constructing a blog so I can share some of what I've been practising with those who may find it helpful!

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    8. Sven
      Fine

Sven Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/1999
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music
      A: 16.5 years
      B: Loud concert was the real trigger, too loud music in car and headphones caused very mild tinnitus before that.
      C: Beeeeep. Slightly different frequency in the different ears, but basically the same.
      D: No. Not by itself, anyway. It is worse now than 15 years ago, but I think I caused that myself.
      E: I eat sleeping pills to sleep, at day I try to surround myself with other sounds and not think about it. Sometimes actively not thinking about it.

9. DebInAustralia
      No Mood

DebInAustralia Member Benefactor Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2013
      Ive had t and h just over 2 years. No louder overall

No change in noise

Can hear high frequency hissing over tv

Have no probs sleeping usually

Back to Silence method helps

Never bothered with meds

10. Sailboardman
      Frustrated

Sailboardman Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      04/21/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Sensorineural hearing loss right ear.
      Yes.

Yes. Intense and many new & different sounds, from original onset.

Yes. I have to use a sound masker while I watch TV.

Depends on the night. Without a masker right next to my head I'd never sleep. Melatonin & 5htp a must. Bad nights, .25mg of Xanax.

No. To intense to ever have it off my mind for a second.

Only what I mentioned under D. I've tried many AD's and the sides effects, don't work for me.

11. Rina
      Energetic

Rina Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/18/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Really don't know
      No... I do have spikes that last less each time and are less frequent now. I've had t for almost a year now.. My t seems to be lower at times

At times it seems softer .. Some times higher pitch

I do hear my t over the tv all the time .. I don't watch much tv anymore .. It annoys me.

Do not mask at all .. Have no problems falling asleep.. Sleep pretty well most of the time.

It does. Keeping busy and living your life the best you can helps a lot!

Have not tried any meds... Except hydroxizyne at the beginning .. When I first got it and every now and then when I get bad spikes... Recently started taking St. John's worth and had helped a lot with my mood and emotional state.. Helping deal with t better

12. linearb
      Psychedelic

linearb Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

beliefs are makyo and reality ignores them
      Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      It changes and it's hard to say. It got worse following a noise trauma in 2011. I'm not convinced that the floor has really changed in a permanent way since then.

Again, it changes on a practically daily basis; there's some consistency, but it moves around, and is also subject to change based on how much sleep I get, whether I'm dehydrated or sick, if I've been smoking pot, etc.

It's a high pitch that's not really masked by most day to day sounds, so, it's pretty much always there. But, if the TV happens to be playing cricket sounds or something then I can't really hear it unless I look for it, in which case, again, it's always there.

In general I sleep 9-11 hours a night. Sometimes more, sometimes less.

I don't quite know what you mean by this.

None. Benzos definitely reduce it, but taking them on a regular basis isn't a good idea at all so I basically just don't take them.

The main thing that's changed is my reaction. My tinnitus has been really, really loud and shrill tonight. I'm aware of it, I don't like it, but I haven't felt any amount of anxiety all day.

13. InfiniteLoop
      Relaxed

InfiniteLoop Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      01/21/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      High frequency hearing loss in left ear from head trauma (?)
      Yes, especially compared to the early onset days. My T is very fluctuating and can be anywhere between 1 and 8.

Yes, I experience very complex sounds that range from slow drones to more tonal sounds and are ever evolving. They are high frequency >8KHz.

Yes, I can hear it over almost everything but the shower.

It varies a lot. T will wake me up once or twice every night. I will use different sleeping aids depending on the night severity: nothing, melatonin, Ambien, Clonazepam.

No, I do not have any mind left after two years of this torture.

0.5mg Clonazepam helpful when is really bad.

14. Markku
      Inspired

Markku Founder Staff Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Syringing
      Since April 2010. Six years soon!

Syringing caused mine.

Markku's New Tinnitus Tone

It got very much louder yes in 2014, for reasons unknown, and then around a month ago I got a new tone, too (demonstrated in the above video)

I don't too well right now, but I take advantage of a lot of sound enrichment. I can't be in quietness.

Yes, see above answer to question D.

Easily.

I had a period of insomnia not long ago, but generally I'm a good sleeper. At least 8 hours. Sometimes more.

How do you mean? "I won't let this noise annoy me"? If that kind of thing, no, not really.

I've tried dozens and dozens of different supplements, also medications including anxiolytics, and none have given me appreciable long-lasting relief.

15. Hotaru
      Depressed

Hotaru Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12-15-15
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      URI/ETD
      A-- How long have you suffered with tinnitus? One month

B--Noise related/drug related/accident related/unknown? Too many things.

C--What sort of noise you hear? High-pitch whistle, low-pitched hollow whistle like a metal pipe, and hissing

D--Did it start mild and get worse? It got progressively louder every day, and just a few minutes ago got louder.

E--How do you cope when it's at its worst? I try to edit my audiobooks or watch YouTube.

F--Has the noise changed from beginning? Yes, it seems to change everyday.

G--Can you hear it over TV? Yes.

H--How many hours of sleep are you getting? About 6.

I--Does mind over matter help you? No, it never did. I'm not quick to get over things.

J--Medication? And does it help? I personally don't believe in it, but yoga and deep breathing sort of helps.