Quitting Music...

Discussion in 'Support' started by derpytia, Jun 2, 2015.

1. Danny Boy
      Cheerful

Danny Boy Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      7/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection
      Sorry, I mean, normally crickets can cover high frequency tinnitus.

2. dan
      Chatty

dan Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noise
      Any synthesized masking noises hurt some minority of T people, including myself.
      It could actually make T worse!

• Agree Agree x 1
    3. lapidus

lapidus Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      I know you mean well but yeah, those crickets are awful for anyone with H Danny.

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Funny Funny x 1
    4. Danny Boy
      Cheerful

Tinnitus Since:
      7/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection
      I had hyperacusis when I listened to this and it didn't hurt. Other noises hurt...Must be different person to person?

This one is the real deal, so should help!

Live Crickets 60min "Natural Sound"

5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      derpytia
      Pooptoast

derpytia Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2014 (many increases since then)
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Progressive hearing loss / noise / ETD
      Might be wishful thinking (bargaining) but one good night's sleep (after wearing myself out) (finally) and having 3 a day of Nature Made Calcium/Magnesium/Zinc vitamins seems to temporarily help. Probably placebo though.

6. Geo

Geo Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2012
      Mexico is right there 2 hours away u can get it in any pharmacy if u really wanted to..

7. Geo

Geo Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2012
      Danny i think u had mild H that would hurt anybodys H especially turned up enough to cover the t..

8. Danny Boy
      Cheerful

Tinnitus Since:
      7/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection
      Well, it wasn't mild h, it was awful, I couldn't even watch the tv. You have to remember I went on trobalt after 3 months of having tinnitus. Trobalt reduces hyperacusis, the amplification.

9. awbw8
      Balanced

awbw8 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2013
      It doesn't matter if it's wishful thinking or a placebo, or from getting more sleep - if you feel a little better, you feel a little better. I'm very glad you had a good moment and I think more are to come. : )

• Agree Agree x 2
      • Helpful Helpful x 1
    10. Quentino
      Tired

Quentino Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Decrease of Hearing i presume.
      Sports! Lots of sport or physical activities. To evacuate all the energy you have during the day. After that you sleep a lot better. Tested and approved.

But one point : what you call keppra is initialy for epilepsy right? Isn’t it dangerous to promote this to anybody? Because, i don’t have H ( but i understand it’s seems terrible) but is it recommended without a doctor advices?

• Agree Agree x 1
    11. billie48
      Sunshine

billie48 Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2009
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      not sure
      I think Danny Boy means good intention when he recommends something that has helped him because he senses the pain and desperation of the member. But this kind of drugs intended for other ailments and not approved by FDA should be the last resort. I mean if the person is contemplating offing himself/herself or is sinking into deep depression because of the acute condition of H, then having drug help as an alternative is understandable. Perhaps Danny should be stating that he has positive result with trobalt and keppra, and then leave it to the individual to make the choice to have it or not, without being perceived as actively pushing it when the person is hesitant. That way your good intention of alerting the member of the potential of those drugs will not be considered excessive or irresponsible. But if I were Derp, I would take Danny's success with Keppra as a positive, knowing that H is not the end game because either it will fade by itself over time, or if not and if really coming to that last resort, Keppra is always there if desperate enough. Just have a vacation to Mexico if needs be. LOL. Try to stay positive and don't let the temporary setback eat you up mentally. H from high pitch T often fades over time. I had it and was tough at the start, as every normal sounds appeared piercingly hurtful, not even TV, driving, parties, dishes, or the soft voice of my wife spoken too close. T reacted with these sounds and H caused an amplified effect on them. Gosh! It was tough, but H faded over a few months like many have reported. So take it easy and don't project a catastrophic future because of the temporary setback with H.

• Agree Agree x 1
    12. Quentino
      Tired

Quentino Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Sure Danny Boy just want to help which is all to his credit.
      I just wanted to point the fact that an anti epileptic drug is not a "small drug" that you can take like candies, and side effects or possible consequences are often less known. So do not act without knowing!

• Like Like x 1
    13. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      derpytia
      Pooptoast

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Welp, here I am crying again. I haven't left my apartment in three days since my mom left after her short visit. I'm moving out and back home for the summer and I'm so sad that I'm not looking forward to it. I had acquired and internship this summer and was so happy because it felt like I was finally getting my life back on track and that I could handle all of this and I just had to make that incredibly STUPID MISTAKE and now I have to take another year, maybe longer, to get back to that state of sorta-kinda-not-really-maybe habituation. I was happy for the first time in a long time and I just had to screw it up.

I DONT WAN'T ANOTHER YEAR OF THIS. I DONT WANT ANOTHER YEAR OF RELEARNING HOW TO LIVE WITH MYSELF AND MY STUPID CHOICES.

I can't even talk on the phone for too long because my hearing distorts the high frequencies phones give off. I can't watch TV or listen to music. Going outside is painful on my ears. Even getting out of bed and going from room to room is painful. I just want to give up so badly but I can't and it hurts so much that I can't. Why did this have to happen to me when I'm so young? Why did I not protect my hearing sooner? I want to go back in time and make better choices.

:cry:

• Hug Hug x 7
    14. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      derpytia
      Pooptoast

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Cried myself to sleep the last few nights because I just hate this so much. Why why why did I screw up on Friday. Last night a T-tone hit that was so painful in my head and ear and my eustachian tube on my worst side got inflamed again and I ended up calling my mom and just crying and crying. I just really really want to die. It's not just the tinnitus, it's my whole life. Everything has been against my existence from the day I was born and everyone I know will acknowledge that so I'm not being overly dramatic. T just compounds injuries and losses that are years old and life is slowly becoming more and more unbearable with each passing year.

And I have no one. Not even my mother, she's 8 hours drive away. And no one here can comfort me. I'm so tired of crying by myself with no one to help me.

• Hug Hug x 7
      • Agree Agree x 1
    15. awbw8
      Balanced

awbw8 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2013

Is there anyone you can talk to? Or maybe you could call @Dr. Hubbard on the phone? I think he does appointments that way.

Here are some nice "cognitive script" examples he posted as well, but I bet he would just be there for you, too. He seems like a really nice person and sometimes having a really nice person who also has some T experience to back it up is calming - and someone (other than us) to be there for you - a voice can be more calming than type. Most importantly, he really cares, which sounds like it would be a welcome difference in a healthcare provider from the ones you've been seeing. It might be worth looking into. He also has a website:

https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/cbt-examples.6352/
      http://cognitive-behavior-therapy.com/tinnitus-hyperacusis/

Also, I know you're alone in your head with your own T, but we all know what it's like to feel that way here. You're not alone in that sense and we all care about you. Hang in there, things will change.

• Like Like x 1
    16. billie48
      Sunshine

billie48 Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2009
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      not sure
      Going home is a good move. You are a bit despondent right now and you need all the support you can get. I know you are feeling very upset about not being careful but we all make silly mistakes sometimes. What is done is done. There is chance that your ears will heal or settle down enough for the condition to be more acceptable. When you calm down a bit, you will realize that being emotional and more negative about the situation will not help the situation and T & H will feel worse. If you are talking about life and death struggle, then the alternative of using meds is there to pursue. Perhaps ask your Mom to drive you down to Mexico for vacation and check Keppra out.

17. SoulStation
      No Mood

SoulStation Member Ambassador

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise / Possible Medication
      Derp . I wouldn't f with keppra if I were you. I really feel your pain. I will say this if you want someone to talk to hit me up.

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    18. Mike34

Mike34 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2014
      So sorry about everything.

Nothing I say will probably help, because you've been through it before so you know what you need to do deep down, you just can't see through the disappointment and pain right now. That's hard. :( But you've "healed" once before, you'll do it again. The body has an amazing way of adapting. I PROMISE it will get better, but you'll have to take it one step at a time. Since you don't have anyone to vent to, you should join the Tinnitus/Hyperacusis support group on FB (https://www.facebook.com/groups/NHTSUPPORT/). There are people there who have it bad and will talk to you (including me.). The S word and support for that is also not taboo. Please check it out.

Oh. And you WILL listen to and enjoy music again.

• Like Like x 1
    19. Mad maggot
      Breezy

Mad maggot Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2008
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Get rid of that stupid doctor ASAP and never pay him another penny as long as you live. You are in charge here. Find a doctor who has some empathy for you and treats you right.

20. Lisa88

Lisa88 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
      You'll get back to all of it again soon.
      I developed bad t and h when I was in my last semester of my music degree program. I completed the degree, and then stood back a little from music for about a year, working mainly acoustically.
      With H, I slowly reintroduced amplified sounds again.
      Now I am working again in music with amplification, and even in a deeper way than I was before.
      It does get better. Time and gradual persistence is all it needs.

21. walkthroughwalls

walkthroughwalls Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      With what genre of music and level of amplification are you working?

22. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      derpytia
      Pooptoast

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Well, lost more hearing and got a new tinnitus tone. Again. This makes 9 tones in all now. I left the fan on high last night because our AC was broken and it was hot. I was asleep for 9 hours while that fan was going. at 70 db my phone db meter says. Woke up with the ear not held the pillow feeling full, the eustachian tube on that side inflamed and a new tone. Just my luck.

23. Xorthian
      Balanced

Xorthian Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Initial 2012. Massive spike 4/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noisey Lifestyle. Increase from infection.
      I honestly dont know what to say.
      70db shouldn't do ANY damage.

Are you sure this is entirely new tone ?
      Can you go and see ent soon to take a look into your ears?

24. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      derpytia
      Pooptoast

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      That's just my phone db meter. Phone meters aren't very good. For all I know it could have been 80 or 90 since phones are grossly inaccurate. It is a new tone and my eustachian tubes get inflamed after noise exposure. I've been to two different ENTs over the past year a total of 5 times and none of them know what's wrong besides noise exposure. I may just have really really bad ear genes.

25. Nucleo

Nucleo Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2011
      some dB meters for iOS are very accurate.

26. Xorthian
      Balanced

Xorthian Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Initial 2012. Massive spike 4/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noisey Lifestyle. Increase from infection.
      @derpytia well im not yet in that exclusive club of people with 6+ noises but i'm close to that with 4. I cant even express how I wish something could be done to help you.I'm only hoping this is spike that will pass through and you will feel a lot better in month or two.

As of db meter depends on app and phone. Apple products are pretty good with splnfft app. As acurate as +/-2db up to 90db I use it myself.

27. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      derpytia
      Pooptoast

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ha I wish I was rich enough to have iOS. I have a windows phone I got for free. Probably the most inaccurate meter of them all.

28. Quentino
      Tired

Quentino Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      70 db ( probably maximized), at your bed or in front of the fan? Because sound power reduce with the distance.

You lost more hearing? Have you seen an ENT?

29. Danny Boy
      Cheerful

Tinnitus Since:
      7/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection
      Yeah, I wouldn't imagine 70DB doing any damage?

30. dan
      Chatty

dan Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noise
      She said reading possibly inaccurate, so could be 85db which is damaging after 8 hrs.