Re-Introduction: Could Use Some Help for TMJ-Induced Tinnitus

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by dog_snack, Dec 6, 2017.

1. dog_snack
      Worried

dog_snack Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2016
      Hey all,

I posted once here early last year when I first figured out I had tinnitus but before I knew more about it; now that I have a better handle on it I wanted to post again and see if I can get some advice.

I first noticed I had high-frequency (can't remember the Hz number) tinnitus in my right ear early last year, ironically around the same time I was getting fitted with custom earplugs (I'm a musician). I was freaked out and scared: I've always used earplugs and have always been pretty protective of my hearing. Luckily, a doctor told me that mine isn't in the frequency range of noise-induced tinnitus which eased my mind somewhat. I've probably had it for longer than I knew.

Eventually I figured out that it's probably from TMJ, which runs in my family. The right side of my jaw clenches all the time and I grind my teeth so I figure it fits together.

I heard that physiotherapy can treat TMJ so I'm seeing if I can afford that with my current plan. And luckily again, I only notice the tinnitus intermittently, but I also have "primary-O" OCD (not fun) and so I can become fixated on it a lot when I do.

My question is: what tends to help with TMJ-related tinnitus? Is a specific treatment for it maybe on the horizon?

2. glynis
      Feminine

glynis Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      @dog_snack ,
      Your dentist can fit you with a mouth guard to wear through the night to take the pressure off your jaw and help TMJ along with physio.
      Love glynis