Reactive Head Hissing

Discussion in 'Support' started by DevHitByTinnitus, Jan 13, 2020.

1. DevHitByTinnitus

DevHitByTinnitus Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Microsuction/Stress
      Hello,

I'm in my 8th month of tinnitus following microsuction and possibly stress. It started like 10 days after microsuction, not the exact day after.

The thing is that it has now settled into a hissing/sizzling sound that I unfortunately hear in my entire head but more towards my microsuctioned ear. It is more annoying when I lay back or when I wake up from sleep. It seems to be less pregnant in the morning. I've tried a lot of supplements and medications but nothing brought me significant relief.

It is also a little reactive, goes from hissing like gas leaking from a pipe to a more high pitched buzzing when i go to crowded places like malls or so on.

Is there anyone that had this type of tinnitus and got any relief from something?

• Hug Hug x 4
    2. Samir
      Obedient

Samir Manager Staff Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Accoustic trauma
      Hi!

I think I have what you're describing as "hissing/sizzling". I usually describe this as "buzzing". But it's really difficult to put words on these things. I recall that mine actually started as a hissing, just like you describe. But then it changed to the buzzing, sort of a little bit electrical sound to it. I have had it for about 3 years now. Mine was caused by a sudden, extreme noise blast through my headphones, due to failed audio equipment. That's like a gun going off at ear level.

I'm guessing you only hear it in quite rooms? If it's of any comfort, it could have been much worse. Mine recently became worse and I have new noises in my head now. I'm still trying to figure out why, and if I can do something about it. In my experience, it helps to stay busy and focus on doing something that can distract you from the spell of tinnitus. Preferably doing something that's not sedentary. Going for a walk for example or doing some house chores used to give me great relief. Sometimes I would not even register my tinnitus, not even in a quite room, not until having stayed there (sedentary) for several minutes.

At this stage, your strategy should be prevention. Don't allow it to get worse. So protect your hearing, first and foremost. Also, don't stress too much about it. Try to keep calm and hang in there! You are not alone.

• Hug Hug x 2
    3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      DevHitByTinnitus

DevHitByTinnitus Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Microsuction/Stress
      @Samir, thank you very much for your nice words. In these 3 years did you have any periods of silence or of reduced tinnitus?

What caused your flare up?

I hope that your recent flare up will go down and you will return to silence one day.

Hugs

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      DevHitByTinnitus

DevHitByTinnitus Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Microsuction/Stress
      Do you think this is most likely due to stress or due to microsuction? Is it a phase to tonal tinnitus?

5. Samir
      Obedient

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Accoustic trauma
      In quite places, I recall having short periods of complete silence in the early mornings, in the transition from deep sleep to a wake state. This was in the early stages of my tinnitus. I recall describing it on this forum as a state of trance. I thought I was tripping! These episodes would usually last for about 5 seconds, and as I became increasingly more aware or awake I should say, the tinnitus would slowly start to come back and I was ready for my day (with tinnitus).

Those were very happy moments. Nothing worth having lasts for an eternity. We tend to appreciate something only once we have lost it. It's best to live life in the moment and appreciate what you have, be grateful. Those few seconds of silence every now and then were golden. But you get adapt to life with tinnitus fairly quickly. Especially if it's in the early stages and you only have some mild tinnitus and some minor hearing loss. That's why I said to protect your hearing, first and foremost. I'm not saying you should be overprotective like some people. For example, if using power tools, use ear muffs. That sort of things.

Doing planks at the gym, i.e. intracranial pressure and PLF is one hypothesis.

Microsuction! The medical community will have you believe that stress is the cause of all medical conditions they cannot explain.

It could be. What's your hearing like? Have you done any tests?

6. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      DevHitByTinnitus

DevHitByTinnitus Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Microsuction/Stress
      @Samir ,

I've went to a lot of ENTs, and I've done a high frequency audiogram (extensive as they call it and I have like just a -20 db dip at 14kHz). The thing that annoys me is that this buzz seems to be all around my head not my ear. Is there any chance that I can hope one day it settles to solely one ear?

I also have some mornings where I wake up and it's fairly less annoying it isn't like a high pitch electrical buzz but like a wind in my ear but it slowly ramps up.

Do you think I have any chances of improving?

I'm like 8 months in and find it really hard to accept that this is my life from now on.

I'd be happy even if it doesn't go but it ends up softer.

7. Samir
      Obedient

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Accoustic trauma
      That's normal. I have had symptoms like the ones you describe. At first it felt like it was only on one side, on the bad ear side. Then after a few months it kind of started traveling across my head before it settled centrally in my head. There were times where it felt like someone was dragging the balance slider left and right on my audio mixer.

You can always hope, no one can take that away from you. When all else fails, hope is what keeps us alive and keeps us going.

This is also normal.

I will not tell you to appreciate it, because there is nothing to appreciate about tinnitus, I get that. But be aware that there are people that have it much more difficult.

Why would you think that you don't have a chance to improve? Your life is not over just yet. There might come a time when a treatment option will be available that will be effective for your tinnitus. Be happy regardless! You don't have to accept this condition, even though the sooner you make peace with it the sooner you can move on with your life.

Try to think positively. Live for those happy moment, those good moments when you "wake up and it's fairly less annoying [and] it isn't like a high pitch electrical buzz". Also, it sounds to me like your hearing is very good. Your tinnitus might fade away all on its own. As I said, try to keep calm and hang in there! You are not alone.

• Like Like x 1
      • Winner Winner x 1
    8. Momme

Momme Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noise?
      Hi @Samir

I see you live in Sweden as well, and the way you describe how your tinnitus has been is exactly how mine is. Mine is caused by in-ear phones. I have had tinnitus since 11 December, 2018.

Take care!

9. CAgirl

CAgirl Member

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      3 M80 Firecrackers
      @DevHitByTinnitus has the reactivity of your tinnitus subsided at all? My apologies if I already asked you this in another thread. If my tinnitus didn’t react to sounds so much, the baseline would be a bit more manageable.

• Hug Hug x 1
    10. BuzzyBee
      Bookworm

BuzzyBee Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Not Sure
      Following because I'm 4 1/2 years in and losing my mind :(. The hissing is worse after eating. I can't modulate it so I don't think it's somatic. I'm not sure I can take anymore.

• Hug Hug x 1
    11. Vicki14
      Panicky

Vicki14 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      January 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Stress
      Hi there. I’m so sorry to hear that you too have been affected by microsuction. It absolutely blows my mind the amount of people I’ve read that have been affected by this. I had very mild tinnitus and after this procedure mine became much older and I had hyperacusis too. It’s particularly bad on my right ear which is where more time was spent! Sending you hugs as I truly understand how debilitating and frustrating this is!! X

• Agree Agree x 1
    12. Vicki14
      Panicky

Tinnitus Since:
      January 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Stress
      Spot on! xx

13. Blue28
      Doubtful

Blue28 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma from Microsuction
      Microsuction for sure. I had this procedure in 2016 and it caused tinnitus, hyperacusis, tonic tensor tympani syndrome, chronic ear fullness, hearing loss...

Microsuction is not safe and should be banned!

• Agree Agree x 1
    14. Vicki14
      Panicky

Tinnitus Since:
      January 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Stress
      I absolutely agree! :cry:

• Agree Agree x 1