Really Need a Bit of Help... I've Developed a Fullness in One of My Ears

Discussion in 'Support' started by Paul10, Mar 25, 2017.

1. Paul10

Paul10 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Stress
      I've developed a fullness in one of my ears; and an mmmmmmmm noise that just keeps getting louder and as it gets louder, the pressure grows. When I stretch my ear upwards with my palm over my ear pushing up the pressure seems to reduce very very slightly, only for a few seconds. I could be imagining that though.

Does anyone have any idea what this could be? I've read Tensor Tympani Syndrome, TMJ etc. (haven't had either checked. I've been taking Dymista nasal spray for months so don't think it's ETs.

Thanks for any help

2. fishbone
      Shitfaced

fishbone Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      loud noise and very bad sickness
      If your ears feel really full, then see an GP/ENT. Tmj should not make your ears feel full. I have had that issue before and went to see a GP and they told me, that i had an ear infection and it was handled.

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Paul10

Paul10 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Stress
      Went to my GP who checked my ears; no infections or wax buildup. Lost :-(

4. glynis
      Feminine

glynis Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      Could be your eustation tube blocking due to sinus problem or allergy or mucous.
      Try steam inhalation....lots of love glynis

• Like Like x 1
    5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Paul10

Paul10 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Stress
      I've been taking Dymista nasal spray for several months directed to my ET's but I understand that ET's can be tricky to deal with. I only got this fullness feeling a few days ago. GP recommended I see a dentist. I'll try steam inhalation, thanks for your words as always Glynis.

• Hug Hug x 1
    6. Nikopol

Nikopol Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown (sinuses, stress or cervical...doc opinions differ)
      I have it too from time to time. After a cold I had it for nearly two weeks. Cracking and popping in ear as well. Got through a lot of docs, really didnt get anywhere. Started taking nasal steroid spray, just in frickin case. Been taking it for 3 and half weeks now and I dunno. Seems T went bit down. Or perhaps my head just habituated in presence of external sound that I dont perceive it much. Cant say. As last ditch I go to bit expensive private ENT clinic, see what they got to say about it, I still strongly suspect sinuses and ETD given that for month and half prior to onset of T I had problems with mucus membrane, being fragile easily bleeding and excessive mucus in nose and post-nasal drip (still do with the drip).

Anywho, dont get turned around. See at least several ENTs to get full opinion. My first one was "ah, I guess its cervical since you have IT job". Second "in 99 percent of cases we dont find out reason, come after a year and we can give you sound treatment that will habituate it". Third will be this guy after load of CTs, CVNGs, eye docs, dentists and everything up to doctor Doolittle.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
    7. Karl28
      No Mood

Karl28 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2001 bad since 2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music via headphones
      I bet it's a problem with your ET

Go to an ENT and get them to do that camera up the nose thing and that will tell you if it's a problem or not

I did that and found out I don't have ETD but patulous ET

• Helpful Helpful x 1
    8. JurgenG
      Approved

JurgenG Member Benefactor Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noise exposure / headphone accident maybe?
      Is it linked with your accoustic trauma? Or how did you get T?

• Like Like x 1
    9. LukeYoung
      Stressed

LukeYoung Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      A loud Concert - Noise Exposure
      I also get this. On and off, T ear feels full. Been taking Saline nasal spray, sometimes seems to help. Might need an ENT to check our tubes.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
    10. Abby W
      Wishful

Abby W Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise induced-loud concert
      Seems like I get fullness in my ear on and off. I do also have TMJ. Anytime I have my ears checked by my GP they say everything looks fine. So I'm in the same boat as you. I will be seeing an ENT soon though hopefully they can help better than my GP. They always try to give me allergy medicine that never seems to help.

• Agree Agree x 1
    11. LukeYoung
      Stressed

Tinnitus Since:
      06/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Me too although I haven't tried allergy meds

12. Abby W
      Wishful

Abby W Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise induced-loud concert
      I've pretty much lived with my T for the last 5 years with no problem but the past couple of months it seems to have gotten louder and that's when I started getting the fullness and earaches. My GP thought it could be my sinuses so he prescribed me an allergy pill that I can't remember the name of and Flonase.. neither helped. If an ENT says everything is fine I guess its just another thing to get used to!

• Agree Agree x 1
    13. LukeYoung
      Stressed

Tinnitus Since:
      06/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I've been having random pains and feelings of earfullness but only like half of the fullness feeling in my T Ear.
      So I understand..

14. cflkb

cflkb Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2012
      If it's ET, it can be tricky and can take time to get it cleared up. Good luck.

• Agree Agree x 1
    15. Nikopol

Nikopol Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown (sinuses, stress or cervical...doc opinions differ)
      Better check with multiple ENTs too. Talked with one guy who had to go through 4 of them and last one prescribed him Flonase for 3 months and after 6 weeks his T was gone. Other three just said he will have to live with it.

• Agree Agree x 1
    16. racerfish
      No Mood

racerfish Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise / T worsened with antiobiotics
      I had these a couple weeks ago. Both ears felt totally clogged for a couple of days, and I also felt slightly nauseous. I took Sudafed a couple times and it cleared up both ears in just a few hours.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
    17. Sam Bridge

Sam Bridge Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music/gigs probably
      My right ear often feels full, i thought this was normal with t/hearing loss?

• Like Like x 1
      • Hug Hug x 1
    18. Ed209

Ed209 Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2015
      Paul, I think it's your Eustachian tubes personally. You're in the same boat as me on the Dymista, but my allergies are so bad even that doesn't touch it. I asked my ENT for a better solution and she said that's the best they've got. There's literally nothing else they can do. My inflammatory response to allergens is ridiculous, along with the excess mucus I produce. I spend a lot of time clearing my throat because of the post nasal drip.

At times I go slightly deaf and the noise in my head ramps up and I immediately identify this as my tubes blocking up again. Hot showers and steam inhalation are your best bet along with antihistamines. Another good solution is to try a sinus rinse:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B0...490552740&sr=8-1&keywords=neilmed+sinus+rinse

• Like Like x 1
      • Helpful Helpful x 1
    19. Jaybeee
      Wishful

Jaybeee Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Feb 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Anxiety?
      @Ed209 hi Ed. Are your allergies the cause of ETD/T? Have you had allergy testing? I suspect ETD and nasal drip etc as the cause of my T. All started with ear fullness.

20. Ed209

Ed209 Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2015
      I've had the allergy tests and my reaction concerned the tester. She told me I had one of the worst tree and grass pollen reactions she had seen and I was allergic to every substance they put on me. She told me if I got any worse to get an epi pen from A n E. When I was a kid, my dad took me out into a field and my face suddenly swelled right up really bad. I couldn't open my eyes, and my mom said I looked like a snake had bitten me.

My T may be partially influenced by it, but in my case I think it's more likely to be noise damage. My post nasal drip is really annoying though.

• Hug Hug x 1
    21. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Paul10

Paul10 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Stress
      Thanks all for your input and advise; really appreciate it!

I got the "most cases we don't find out the reason" also. It's difficult to get in touch with a different ENT as we have a health system here so you get who you're given, and appointments take a long time; but I guess I could go private. Really should to get a second opinion. Thanks for your info!

Thanks Karl, I had a nasal camera test a few years ago but for a completely different reason. Thanks for the heads-up, I'll be sure to mention this!
      Hope you get it sorted Abby; I've never been checked for TMJ but as I write this my jaw does feel a little sore. Maybe I'm creating the pain in my head by thinking about it - the brain creates all sorts of phantom things (we T sufferers know that all too well!)

I'll be sure to do that Nikopol; it's unfortunate we have to jump through so many hoops to get solutions :-/

Thanks! I've heard Sudafed mentioned a few times on the forums; I'll have a read into them and perhaps give them a go. All the best!
      Thanks as always Ed; it's very interesting you mention ringing in your head because I'd kind of ruled out ET issues as I have in-head T also (as well as ears). I didn't think E.T's could cause T in head. Thanks very helpful! Looks like I'm going to have to see a private ENT to get all these questions answered. Thanks for the tips!

22. cflkb

cflkb Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2012
      Please share your experience after your ENT visit. I got one scheduled for April 3rd. I have what I can best describe as hearing the washer/dryer on high spin cycle next door or it feels like I am hearing a really really fast vibrational noise (not a physical sensation, just a fast vibrational noise) in my left ear at first, but now it seems to have left my left ear and has travelled to my right ear. I really don't get it. I've taken 3 amoxycillin pills so far these past two days and some Sudafed and it seems to have helped a little with the vibrational noise but it's still there and I am hoping for answers this April. I went to my primary doc yesterday and he said there was fluid and redness. Wishing everyone well.

23. Jaybeee
      Wishful

Jaybeee Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Feb 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Anxiety?
      Paul, my problems started with an ear fullness in my right ear. Two days later I developed a low rumbling in my head on that side plus high pitched whine on my left side. Took some sudafed and bit of antihistamine. Ear fullness and rumbling disappeared after a week but my high pitched whine still not fixed. I get aches and slight fullness still. I believe it's ETD as I have suffered with post nasal drip for a year or so. My only allergy I am aware of is grass pollen but that ironically seemed to have subsided over the past two years. However the only ENT guy I have seen so far very early on in this T journey told me I had otosclerosis. Totally unfounded because my hearing in that ear returned after a week! From what I read, ETD seems a difficult one to shift and having been on the internet for this past few weeks somebody somewhere always has a negative reaction to meds. I might just try the steam thing for now. Glynis always advocates the steam thing xx

• Hug Hug x 1