Really Weird Morse Code / Typewriter Tinnitus in Right Ear

Discussion in 'Support' started by Bar, Jul 27, 2019.

1. Bar

Bar Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      I've had this kind of morse code tinnitus come and go for quite some time. It sounds like if someone is typing morse code, electric noise etc... It usually goes away after a day or a night's sleep. Now I have had it for 4 days and it's louder. Because of it's asynchronous beeping properties it's really hard to mask and ignore. And it actually sounds much higher with background noise.

I have googled and found it's called typewriter tinnitus, I don't know much about it but I can tell you something very interesting with mine.

1) If I press my finger at the ear it really changes the tinnitus, I can pulse it myself. If I press hard it goes to a solid tinnitus with no pulsing, and at some point it will actually go silent.

2) If I lie down with the tinnitus ear on my pillow, it goes silent. The moment I change sides or stand up it rages again.

What can this be?

• Like Like x 1
    2. joe e

joe e Member

Tinnitus Since:
      April 2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown, woke up with it
      Hi Bar, I wonder if one of the many sounds of my T is what you are describing. I used to call it a flute-like sound due to its random intermittent tone...an electronic morse code could indeed also describe it. Its very strange characteristic is how it changes slightly with pressure on my tragus. I too have it in right ear, but haven't experienced what you describe as it going away when changing sides on pillow. Thanks for the info on the term "typewriter tinnitus." I will google it as well.

Wish you all the best!

• Agree Agree x 1
    3. Greg Sacramento

Greg Sacramento Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Syringing + Somatic tinnitus from dental work
    4. Aficianado

Aficianado Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      I had typewriter tinnitus but it eventually went away.

• Like Like x 2
    5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Bar

Bar Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      For how long? I think Ive had mine for quite some time, not sure since its always been so dead silent. But now its a bit louder and i notice it very well in quiet settings. And due to its nature its really hard to stop focus on. It started for some weeks ago, went away a bit, and now back again. Was really random the day it came. All i remember doing that day was driving a long trip and had a few beers that night.

6. Aficianado

Aficianado Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      Over a period of about 3 years, it went away once, came back briefly and then went away completely. Turns out, it looks like it was caused by excessive gum chewing and chewing ice, hard candy and cough drops. After I stopped those things, it didn't come back.

• Like Like x 1
    7. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Bar

Bar Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      But why is it so loud? It can change in loudness miltiple a day, especially at night even with the same noises around. And im unable to mask it with white/pink noises. Only music can mask it even though its at much lower volume. Its really nothing like my other t and feels weird. It really sound like a real world sound as if there is a fridge/ irregular electrical noise. Is it earwax, jaw or nervedamage?

8. JasonP
      No Mood

JasonP Member

Tinnitus Since:
      6/2006
      I can't be of much help with this but I did have a morse code type tinnitus one time years ago when I awoke but it went away quickly thereafter. I don't really know why I got it or why it left.

9. Aficianado

Aficianado Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      Could have something to do with nerve pressure or irritation.

10. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Bar

Bar Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      Yeah I guess so. Since it sometimes are much louder or weaker. For instance, for the past week it only was loud after lying in bed for more than an hour, if i stand up for a few minutes it goes more silent. And now, quite random its very loud again. Really anoying tho.

11. LostOutWest
      Not amused

LostOutWest Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Hey Bar - I’m experiencing the exact same Morse code tinnitus. Hoping to hear that yours faded out - any update?

12. Matchbox
      Wishful

Matchbox Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise Induced, Prednisone (drones), Barotrauma (distortions)
      Did nobody try Carbamazepine?

Super rare treatment.

13. GBB

GBB Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      2016-2019 (Mild, Cured) 8/2020 (Severe)
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Virus / Microsuction / Acoustic Trauma
      Why do you mention this drug specifically?

14. Matchbox
      Wishful

Matchbox Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise Induced, Prednisone (drones), Barotrauma (distortions)
      Apparently Carbamazepine helps with morse code tinnitus... but it would have to be pretty bad, the fallout from long term use isn't worth it.

• Agree Agree x 1
    15. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Bar

Bar Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      It did for quite some time, now after a year it's back even worse.