Recorded Sounds of Tinnitus — Examples

Discussion in 'Support' started by calin, Dec 29, 2011.

1. calin
      Inspired

calin Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Oct 2011
      • Like Like x 2
    2. Markku
      Inspired

Markku Founder Staff Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Syringing
    3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      calin
      Inspired

calin Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Oct 2011
      WOW!!!! Thank you for posting that!!!

That is MY tone. Only mine pulsates.

At times I wasn't sure if the video was playing the tone or not as that is what I hear.

Thank you. I actually teared up at the end. Just knowing that someone else is going through what I am is comforting. I will not live with this though every minute and every year for the rest of my life. Hell No! I will overcome this!

I do have minutes where there is no tone - T over the past couple of weeks. That is a hopeful sign for me.

4. Mystrite

Mystrite Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/73
      OMG!! Thank you, thank you, thank you! I cannot stop crying. I feel as though a huge burden has been lifted from my shoulders. I had felt so alone with this condition, now I have a way to share what I constantly hear every moment of every day with others. I am so thankful I found this website! Thank you for my voice, and thank you for helping me discover I am NOT alone!!

• Agree Agree x 1
    5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      calin
      Inspired

calin Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Oct 2011
      Welcome!!!

Jump in anytime and vent or share.

You are NOT alone!

It's also nice for us that there are so many of us out there. That means that hopefully the masses will keep the pressure on for answers and treatments.

6. mock turtle

mock turtle Member

Tinnitus Since:
      07/26/1992...habituated after 2 years; 11/04/11 new outbreak
      Calin thanks...

we can play these samples for those who think, "hey, no big deal...what are you complaining about" ;)

if you hit play on the second video...and let it run

and then at the same time hit play on the third video, listening to the sample that is he first 7 seconds

and add the sample of hissing steam plus the sound you hear over the phone when you dial up a fax machine...

thats my tinnitus

oh what fun

7. Colin

Colin Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2008
      I have been reading the forums for a while since the start of the year when I have had a bad spike, my own fault as I have had tinnitus for a long time but must have habituated to it and didn't really notice it apart from at night, then after a night out bam back with vengeance louder than its ever been but I registered as the video the Noise matches my tone perfectly and its great that I can finally show people to help them understand what its like. Thank you.

• Like Like x 1
    8. Markku
      Inspired

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Syringing
      You'll get there (to habituation) again Colin... now in the future just remember to protect your hearing! It's so delicate...

Have you had a hearing test done?

Welcome to the forums (to participate instead of lurking!! :))

9. Colin

Colin Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2008
      Hi Markku thank you for the welcome. A couple of months ago I was in quite a bad place the first couple of weeks I literally thought I was going to go out of my mind and had lots of negative thoughts. I had to have time of work I returned to my parents house as couldn't bare being at my house alone.

I visited an ENT and he was really great I had a hearing test and I do have some hearing loss in my right ear though my tinnitus is in both ears / in the head, if anything its actually worse in my left ear I really was wondering how I was going to cope.

But I am happy that I have come a long way in a short time and feeling much more positive I am still hearing the ringing but I am not going to let a noise over take my life I also have got some ear plugs that are supposed to attenuate 33db so am just going to have to be careful. But you cant really escape noise these days the cinema, going out for food, bars noise is everywhere.

I just wish that the mad health and safety state we live in applied some of its logic to noise, I mean we have warnings on nuts saying "careful may contain nuts" and have warnings on coffee "its hot" but no one expects to go out for a night of fun and be injured for life.

Anyway probably rambling and taking over thread... this is why I lurk :unsure:

10. Markku
      Inspired

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Syringing
      You're not rambling, great thoughts you just wrote down!

I wholeheartedly agree. This society that tries to pass over responsibility by having all sorts of (sometimes even ridiculous) warnings, there's not enough warnings about the hazards of noise.

In Finland the cinemas are insanely loud. Several times the sound levels have been measured over 115 dB. Who NEEDS that.

This old piece published in the Guardian in 2003: Loud and louder.

My friend's friend, Torkell Saetervadet, is a Norwegian cinema design engineer. I can ask him. "Utter bullshit!" says he.
      "Cinemas do not damage your ears. You need eight hours of 85dBC a day for 40 years to give you 10-15% hearing loss." Young audiences like the cinema to recreate reality - a gunshot two inches from your ear, a bomb next door, a plane crash in your garden.

"If they think it's too quiet, they just feel there's something missing, shrug their shoulders and don't come back," says Saetervadet. "Sound is just another tool in the director's box. If the director wants people to be hammered to their seats, he can."

So a few loud films can't cause lasting damage. But if your ears ring after loud noise or your hearing goes a little blurry, that means they are temporarily damaged. Suppose this damage is like a bruise. It fades away.

Holy smoke. I would like to punch this Mr. Saetervadet in the face!

Deafening new films threaten hearing of young cinema goers
      Some of the films showed peaks of 130 decibels during car chase scenes, gun fights and explosions - the equivalent of standing just 100 yards away from a jet during take-off.

It's so wrong to say that one instance of very loud noise can't give one everlasting tinnitus (/hearing loss). There are too many people who've lived quite a normal life noise-wise, avoiding loud noise purposefully and yet they've got tinnitus due to one or two loud noises (for some it might be a single gunshot or a favorite band's concert, for others something else).

It is hard to regulate noise, but the usual suspects (clubs, concerts, bars, music players, cinemas, gun ranges, loud machines, and other loud things) should carry noticeable warnings.
      It's no good if there's a frigging small plague somewhere on the wall or an unnoticeable text box in the manual who nobody even looks at.

Colin, have you been able to return for work yet? I hope so! And what are those plugs you use that attenuate 33 dB? Maybe these by Hearos?

This is the quote of the day and a great way to start off the weekend with: "but I am not going to let a noise over take my life" RIGHT ON! Love your attitude.

11. david c

david c Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2012
      Cinemas in the UK also insanely loud. last time I went to watch a film suffered from hyperacusis for several days afterwards so won't be going again any time soon. Should be much more regulation about maximum sound levels. Popular newspapers in our country always going on about over-regulation but the fact of the matter is that in many health and safety respects rules simply aren't stringent enough - particularly when it comes to noise.

12. joejunior

joejunior Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2001
      i have been to two cinemas in the last couple of weeks, one of the big co's and then an independent.

I needed my plugs for the first - the volume was insanely loud - mind you i do have hyperacusis but still - the independent was much quieter , i didnt need plugs even for the ads, plus it was a much nicer experience all round.

13. Sam Bridge

Sam Bridge Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music/gigs probably
      I know this is a really old thread but the part about a small plaque on the wall is something i have been thinking about alot since i got T. Specifically in concert venues. I vaguley remember seeing these signs in some venues but i was just like, really? All these people that go to concerts cant be coming out with hearing damage or surely it would be really widely known about and people just would not bother going.

Worst of all i bet that sign covers them legally but wow it is so unethical!!!

14. Dave AUS
      Depressed

Dave AUS Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Too Loud Indoor Rock Concert
      Not from Australia then @Sam Bridge ? Doubt it. I have never seen a sign, read a warning or verbally been warned. Wish I had!!!

I don't know if it would be widely known as you'd think. Take me. It's not illegal for these venues so no lawsuit so no media or print coverage. Tell your friends and family and lots think you have a mental illness not an acoustic trauma injury. Hearing places just want to sell you hearing aids and psychologist leaches fleece your money. Finally people like me withdraw from life and tell no one unless it has to be said. Far more of us than road crash victims per year I am sure.

15. Sam Bridge

Sam Bridge Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music/gigs probably
      No i am from the UK.
      The rest of your post has confused me a bit. Why have you withdrawn from life?

16. Dave AUS
      Depressed

Dave AUS Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Too Loud Indoor Rock Concert
      I can't do the work I used to do @Sam Bridge . Either trade desk sales or as a technician due to the associated noises.
      In my social life I avoid groups of people, parties, playing around with some things in my shed, dont enjoy music any longer and avoid some public places I used to frequent.
      Because my tinnitus has changed my mood I am no longer that fun happy guy and people aren't attracted to that.

17. Reinier
      Not amused

Reinier Member Podcast Patron Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Explosion starting engine
      Very recognisable )-;

18. Stephanie19115

Stephanie19115 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Fistula
    19. Reinier
      Not amused

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      An external source?

20. Stephanie19115

Stephanie19115 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Fistula
      I put the recorder up to my head. This is the noise I hear all day, every day. Also, if you stand next to me you can hear it as well

21. Stephanie19115

Stephanie19115 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Fistula
      There's a beep beep in the recording too but that's my door alarm. One of my kids came in

22. Reinier
      Not amused

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      So that's objective tinnitus. On the internet I read that objective tinnitus often can be treated. Can your tinnitus not be treated?
      I think I can hear the tinnitus fluctuating with your heartbeat when I listen to the recording.
      Like with so many forms of tinnitus this is another torturous one )-:

I just read your introduction thread "angiogram".
      So you can ignore my question if it can be treated (-;

23. Stephanie19115

Stephanie19115 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Fistula
      I go for an angiogram tomorrow. The neuro vascular Doctor thinks I have a fistula but said there may be something else going on too. So we will see tomorrow!

24. Reinier
      Not amused

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Our posts crossed.
      Good luck tomorrow.

25. Stephanie19115

Stephanie19115 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Fistula
      Thank you so much! I appreciate it ❤️

26. GregCA
      Jaded

GregCA Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otosclerosis
      Yes, there is reasonable hope for you. Good luck!

27. Stephanie19115

Stephanie19115 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Fistula
      I'll take it!!