Regeneration of Cochlear Synapses by Systemic Administration of a Bisphosphonate

Discussion in 'Research News' started by d'Wooluf, Jul 14, 2020.

1. FGG
      No Mood

FGG Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Multi-factorial
      The SGN do degrade over time but it looks to be many, many decades to possibly never in most cases based on autopsy studies.

They degrade relatively quickly in cats (for instance, which a lot of the early studies were done on :( ) but it turns out humans have extremely different spiral ganglion nerves:

Impact of Morphometry, Myelinization and Synaptic Current Strength on Spike Conduction in Human and Cat Spiral Ganglion Neurons

The human spiral ganglion: new insights into ultrastructure, survival rate and implications for cochlear implants

I posted the autopsy study *somewhere* on this sight ages ago but I can't find it now. I believe one subject had been deaf since 20 and had normal SGN concentration at death at 80.

Tl;dr: this is probably not a worry most people should have.

• Like Like x 3
      • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    2. Tau
      Worried

Tau Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      2019-Concert, 2021-headphones/acoustic trauma at 110dB,16kHz
      I am thinking of trying IV Zoledronate as my synaptopathic hearing loss is recent and I have no hair cell dysfunction.

I will give an update in this thread if I do. My hearing loss is a bigger problem than tinnitus. I will consult with a few doctors and show them this paper. The problem is not getting the drug, it's weighing the pros and cons.

• Agree Agree x 1
    3. Mentos

Mentos Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced, loud rock concert
      How did you confirm you have no hair cell dysfunction? I don’t believe there is a 100% reliable diagnostic method to determine that.

• Good Question Good Question x 1
    4. Tau
      Worried

Tau Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      2019-Concert, 2021-headphones/acoustic trauma at 110dB,16kHz
      That's actually a good question. I guess it's more of a tentative conclusion based on the fact that I have perfect audiograms (and I confirmed that myself at home with all the in-between frequencies) and that my ABR and otoacoustic emissions tests are fine.

I guess some of my IHCs could be dysfunctional or even completely dead. But seeing as synaptopathy happens first, I think trying to regrow the synapses is worth a shot.

• Like Like x 1
    5. Mentos

Mentos Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced, loud rock concert
      Otoacoustic emission can confirm damage to hair cells, it cannot exclude it. In other words you may have ok otoacoustic emission results and still have damaged hair cells in the frequencies which are not measured (usually they sample 8 frequencies only).

6. Ali.sy

Ali.sy Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Headphones
      Can I buy Bisphosphonate medicine somewhere to try it?

• Agree Agree x 1
    7. Ali.sy

Ali.sy Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Headphones
    8. Justin Mills

Justin Mills Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2 year
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      loud music
      "The repurposing of bisphosphonates shows promise in animal models for treating hidden hearing loss. At the present time, these drugs are not fit for hearing treatment because they have not yet been validated in human studies. For the purposes of treating metabolic bone disease—osteoporosis, etc.—they have demonstrated success. However, they are associated with some significant side effects and are absolutely contraindicated in pregnancy (they are known to cause birth defects). In time and with proper vetting, these techniques may ultimately be valuable treatments for a very common type of hearing loss."

Source:
      Why Can't I Understand Speech in a Noisy Environment?

According to the above quote from an ENT there's a question of whether it's worth the risk. There are probably people on this forum who know more about how effective something like this could be. Is it perhaps better to wait to see if there's an advancement with Pipeline Therapeutics' drug and Otonomy's OTO-413? Kind of biting the bullet. We wouldn't know how to use this drug, like what dose and how long and stuff like that. Although on the other hand, there's no doubt the study shows very promising results for something that can be applied systemically rather then locally injected:

Regeneration of Cochlear Synapses by Systemic Administration of a Bisphosphonate