Remeron (Mirtazapine) — Anything Safer for Sleep & Depression?

Discussion in 'Support' started by marxxx, Feb 26, 2016.

tinnitus forum
    1. marxxx

marxxx Member

Tinnitus Since:
      1/14
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknows
      I have read some very positive things about remeron, and a few startling posts as well. Are there any safer prescription alternatives to remeron?

Currently I am using Ativan and Ambien to fall asleep, but only get a few hours (usually wake between 2 & 3 with T and anxiety).

Have tried all the normal OTC options (last night was valerian + melatonin + tryptophan) and got about 2 - 2.5 hours before being awakened.

I won't be able to keep working if I don't get some sleep.

Don't know if I have any issue with ototoxicity in general. Have had T for a while, but got some ear pressure a few weeks ago followed by a bad T spike for the last week. I am having a terrible time coping. I don't want to take anything that may contribute to it (if it is ototoxicity) but I really can't function with this level of anxiety, stress and depression. My hearing tests were normal (up to 8k) but think I have some high frequency loss (just from the on line stuff).

Following up with all the pertinent professionals.

Thanks in advance!

Mark

2. cowdodge
      Grumpy

cowdodge Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Remorn did make me sleep but that only lasted a few days. I notice my driving habits were a bit oft so I dropped that med. I wish I had a good doctor to talk to but at my clinic they usually only give you 15 minutes and to me this is not enough time to sort things out. I know I'm in a depression but I do not want to take mined drugs. Anyway boo hobo on me and trying to get started on another day.

3. glynis-harbron
      Feminine

glynis-harbron Member Benefactor Hall of Fame Ambassador Team Awareness Team Research

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      Amiltryptaline at a low dose is good to help you sleep....lots of love glynis

• Like Like x 1
    4. Alex Senkowski
      Tolerant

Alex Senkowski Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otosclerosis
      If you do go with Remeron, keep in mind that you need only a very low dose for sleep. I need only 5mg(1/6th of a full tablet) and I have a good and full night's sleep with only the occasional hangover the next day. I've been taking 5mg of remeron a night for almost 2 years now and I haven't noticed any long-term side-effects. Of course, that's just me, it may or may not work the same for you so tread with caution.

• Like Like x 1
    5. marxxx

marxxx Member

Tinnitus Since:
      1/14
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknows
      Thanks,
      The dr perscribed it at 30mg for sleep and depression. I cut it in quarters but was still afraid to take it.
      Still not sure if I will try it tonight, but I really need some good sleep. I am guessing remeron would be better for me than ambien and ativan in the long term anyway.....

Thanks for the responses guys, keep them coming!
      Is anyone aware of a safer AD to take?
      I have taken zoloft in the past (for a shorter time) and amitryptilene for sleep. I half wonder if one of those would be safer to take that since I have already had them?

Thanks

6. jeannie
      Stressed

jeannie Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise-induced, Ear Infection, Medication... Who knows?
      Maybe Prozac,that's what I have just been prescribed...