Remeron (Mirtazapine) — Anything Safer for Sleep & Depression?

Discussion in 'Support' started by marxxx, Feb 26, 2016.

1. marxxx

marxxx Member

Tinnitus Since:
      1/14
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknows
      I have read some very positive things about remeron, and a few startling posts as well. Are there any safer prescription alternatives to remeron?

Currently I am using Ativan and Ambien to fall asleep, but only get a few hours (usually wake between 2 & 3 with T and anxiety).

Have tried all the normal OTC options (last night was valerian + melatonin + tryptophan) and got about 2 - 2.5 hours before being awakened.

I won't be able to keep working if I don't get some sleep.

Don't know if I have any issue with ototoxicity in general. Have had T for a while, but got some ear pressure a few weeks ago followed by a bad T spike for the last week. I am having a terrible time coping. I don't want to take anything that may contribute to it (if it is ototoxicity) but I really can't function with this level of anxiety, stress and depression. My hearing tests were normal (up to 8k) but think I have some high frequency loss (just from the on line stuff).

Following up with all the pertinent professionals.

Thanks in advance!

Mark

2. cowdodge
      Grumpy

cowdodge Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Remorn did make me sleep but that only lasted a few days. I notice my driving habits were a bit oft so I dropped that med. I wish I had a good doctor to talk to but at my clinic they usually only give you 15 minutes and to me this is not enough time to sort things out. I know I'm in a depression but I do not want to take mined drugs. Anyway boo hobo on me and trying to get started on another day.

3. glynis
      Feminine

glynis Member Benefactor Hall of Fame Ambassador Team Awareness

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      Amiltryptaline at a low dose is good to help you sleep....lots of love glynis

• Like Like x 1
    4. Alex Senkowski
      Pensive

Alex Senkowski Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otosclerosis
      If you do go with Remeron, keep in mind that you need only a very low dose for sleep. I need only 5mg(1/6th of a full tablet) and I have a good and full night's sleep with only the occasional hangover the next day. I've been taking 5mg of remeron a night for almost 2 years now and I haven't noticed any long-term side-effects. Of course, that's just me, it may or may not work the same for you so tread with caution.

• Like Like x 1
    5. marxxx

marxxx Member

Tinnitus Since:
      1/14
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknows
      Thanks,
      The dr perscribed it at 30mg for sleep and depression. I cut it in quarters but was still afraid to take it.
      Still not sure if I will try it tonight, but I really need some good sleep. I am guessing remeron would be better for me than ambien and ativan in the long term anyway.....

Thanks for the responses guys, keep them coming!
      Is anyone aware of a safer AD to take?
      I have taken zoloft in the past (for a shorter time) and amitryptilene for sleep. I half wonder if one of those would be safer to take that since I have already had them?

Thanks

6. jeannie
      Stressed

jeannie Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise-induced, Ear Infection, Medication... Who knows?
      Maybe Prozac,that's what I have just been prescribed...

7. Florida John

Florida John Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise, and possible head trauma
      How is the prozac? Has it helped you? I hope so....Thanks

8. Mike82
      Wishful

Mike82 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2014
      I take 30mg every night to get to sleep. It is, ironically, the best sleep aid I've ever used.

9. Florida John

Florida John Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      did it effect your Tinnitus either way?

10. Mike82
      Wishful

Mike82 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2014
      Not at all.

11. Florida John

Florida John Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      how long you been taking it? and did it effect your T?