Remeron Started My Tinnitus

Discussion in 'Support' started by Smackman, Jun 10, 2015.

1. Tweaker
      Transparent

Tweaker Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure
      I take low dose mirtazapine for 2 years but trying to come off it. Since I've been taking it my T has worsened but my hearing is still the same. Don't know if it's the drug or if my T would have worsened with time anyway. Sleep is nigh impossible without something so coming off will be difficult. Can get some sleep on quarter of a 15mg tablet but no sleep if I stop completely. I use occasional zopiclone also. If you can get by without any drugs then that is best.

• Like Like x 1
    2. gintas

gintas Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2015-05
      last night i took 12 g mirtazipine and 0.5 klonopam ? sleep well. but wake up with bigest T that ususaly .usualy i taking just 0.5 klonopam and 25 voldoxan but not sleep well. so what do you think continue mirtazipine or quit it ? in time mirtazipine can increase or reduse T ?

Some times before i took remeron 15 before, but somehow it doesn’t worked. then I took 30g sleep very well but wake up with biggest T. then I stopped remeron. now i used it again

or maybe somebody tryed 50 voldoxan, how it is works ?

3. MariaH
      Dreaming

MariaH Member

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Medication
      Its worrying to read how people are experimenting with drugs, changing the drug combinations, dosages etc.
      Please be careful!! :eek:
      In any case, the short-term use of Remeron (Mirtazapine) gave me a very serious case of tinnitus.
      I'm now heading towards the two-year mark since I took it and and happy and thankful to report that my condition is improving.
      Maria

• Like Like x 2
    4. Poyraz

Poyraz Member

Tinnitus Since:
      February 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Benzos, Stress, Anxiety, Loud Music, Jaw Problems. Who knows
      I'm not sure about Remeron but it could be the benzo. Maybe you already have hit tolerance?

5. Beste
      Disappointed

Beste Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/16/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Benzo/Clonazepam, Stress
      I have been taking this drug for 4 months now and my T got worse! I thought it was safe.. I don't know how to come off from 30mg. Cut it half would be alright?

Is there anybody whose T got worse by it but then turn its baseline? I miss my old T..

6. OutdoorBen

OutdoorBen Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I truly believe it was taking Remeron
      I have suffered from anxiety and panic and mild to moderate depression for 25 years. Unfortunately, I can't take the basics like SSRIs and my pdoc decided to have me try something new: Remeron. On paper, this drug would be a perfect match -- good for anxiety, panic, depression and is generally very well tolerated.

First week? Fantastic. Had more energy. Depression was much better. A bit antsy, but good. But... after two weeks, I was bouncing off the walls. It was like it triggered a reaction where I felt like someone had shot me up with crack cocaine or crystal meth. Awful. The transition from good to awful crept up on me over the course of a few days -- a hint here, a hint there, then full-time. And... my ears started ringing. Loudly. I blame it 100% on the Remeron. The drug was clearly not helping, so I tapered off under the guidance of my doc.

Unfortunately, the ringing did not go away. Luckily, about 3 months later, it has slooooooooowly gotten better. At its height, I was having to put nature/white noise on just to be able to concentrate enough to get my work done (programmer). It was that loud.

So, I'm hoping this will go away completely with time. But, it was definitely, 100% without a doubt the Remeron.

I hope this helps someone. I felt compelled to sign up when I saw this thread and to let the OP know that he is not alone -Ben

• Helpful Helpful x 2
      • Informative Informative x 1
    7. Anthem7192

Anthem7192 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      9/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Lorazepam
      I recently got Tinnitus after Doctor gave me Lorazepam for my Panic attacks/Sleep.
      Within the first night i started having high pitched sound/buzzing in left ear. I did not believe it could come from a drug, until I googled it. Drugs like these are called Ototoxic, and they can definitely cause Tinnitus!!
      I found that Remeron/Mirtzapine, is NOT ototoxic. Natural supplements are the best if you can find ones, that will work for you. I have had mixed results. I asked a Doctor for Remeron, have not used it yet. Giving the natural supplements a little more time. Also, getting off an ototoxic drug may rid you of Tinnitus, but Not always. I have been off
      the Lorazepam for a month now, and still have it. God Bless you all!

8. JohnAdams
      Festive

JohnAdams Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      May 1st 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Aspirin Toxicity/Possibly Noise
      A chiropractor committed battery on my with his quack thermometer and that got me hooked on aspirin which undoubtedly led to my hearing damage.

9. HearsToHope
      Fine

HearsToHope Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise-Induced Hearing Loss
      Tinnitus is a known side effect of benzo use and withdrawal. I've seen reports in statistics of some people getting tinnitus during SSRI antidepressant use and withdrawal as well. Some people get better and some don't. The percentage of people who experience these effects seems very low. Unfortunately that still means some people will draw that unlucky number. I opted to go ahead and test my luck (responsibly; I only took as necessary) because I don't know if I would have survived without.

I'm not saying that's what caused your tinnitus, I'm just saying it's a slim possibility. https://www.ehealthme.com/ds/mirtazapine/tinnitus/

10. JohnAdams
      Festive

Tinnitus Since:
      May 1st 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      What if the FDA approved as many drugs that cure tinnitus as ones that cause it?

11. dayma
      Pacman

dayma Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      1/6/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      UNKNOWN
      I use Remeron and it's not otoxic. If you have any questions about it feel free to pm me.

• Like Like x 1
    12. kelpiemsp
      Swamped

kelpiemsp Member Benefactor Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      birth/ recent spike 2/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Born with ETD, several acoustic traumas, most recently ETD
      I used remeron for about 4 months and it was a godsend in the sleep department.

• Agree Agree x 2
    13. Anthem7192

Anthem7192 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      9/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Lorazepam
      To Dayma!

I stated, that Remeron/Mirtzapine is NOT ototoxic. I'm currently working with natural Supplements that seem to be
      working ok. Still testing. My Remeron is on the back burner, just in case.

14. bob bauer

bob bauer Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      hearing loss- medication
      I'm tapering Remeron at 5% a month, my ringing is bad and I also take lorazepam and temazepam. I need help.

15. bob bauer

bob bauer Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      hearing loss- medication
      I'm tapering the dose at 5% a month, is that bad to change the dose?

16. linearb
      Psychedelic

linearb Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

beliefs are makyo and reality ignores them
      Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Everything I've ever read about aspirin has led me to believe it's not actually ototoxic and causes temporary tinnitus through a reversible mechanism that doesn't cause any permanent damage. Do you have any data to the contrary? That would be news to me, and I am curious because even though I only take NSAIDs of any kind maybe ~4 times a year, I have long regarded aspirin to be "safe", compared to tylenol/APAP which definitely causes hearing damage with chronic use.

17. JohnAdams
      Festive

Tinnitus Since:
      May 1st 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      yeah I dunno. I was on aspirin and exposing myself to loud sounds. I just dunno. more than likely it was the loud sounds.

18. linearb
      Psychedelic

linearb Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

beliefs are makyo and reality ignores them
      Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      :-/ really hard to say, sorry to hear. My own tinnitus is also a possible result of like 13 different things that happened during the lead up to it, so who knows. It is what it is, it's here, it's not going anywhere and neither am I so it's just a thing, you know?

• Hug Hug x 1
    19. Igormanicus

Igormanicus Member

Tinnitus Since:
      O5/19
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Mirtazapine 15 mg
      Just found a paper from 2009 about a guy who got sudden hearing loss in one ear after one 30 mg dose. Unfortunately the loss was permanent. I’m receiving injections in my left ear hoping the damage 10 days of 15 mg Mirt did to me. The high pitched T is literally driving me crazy. I also have the loss in one ear. I’ll probably lose my job and never sleep again

• Hug Hug x 1
    20. JohnAdams
      Festive

Tinnitus Since:
      May 1st 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      What are you getting injections of?

21. Agrajag364

Agrajag364 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      This drug seems to have a mix of people saying it made their tinnitus worse or caused it vs made it better.

22. Giacomo1967

Giacomo1967 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Antidepressants
      Trazodone started my tinnitus a year ago.

Lately because of a tinnitus spike I started taking Mirtazapine 7.5 mg a day. I took it for 1 month and the tinnitus really improved, however I had to quit because of the sudden onset of visual problems. I hope they'll go away soon.

• Hug Hug x 1
    23. GoatSheep

GoatSheep Guest

Amitriptyline gave me dry eye syndrome. What type of eye issues are you having?