Resources to Learn More About Tinnitus and Hyperacusis?

Discussion in 'Support' started by weab00, Sep 28, 2020.

1. weab00
      Gloomy

weab00 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      some good mf music
      I spend most of my time on Tinnitus Talk in the research section of the website. I have a very basic understanding of the anatomy of the ear but would like to be able to better understand and participate in the advanced, technical discussion about the treatments.

I suffer from both, so it'd also be nice to have a more complete perspective about what's actually going on in my ears/brain when I experience symptoms.

Any books or papers that people can recommend that give insights into the mechanisms/biology/relation to the brain as it pertains to tinnitus and hyperacusis?

2. Michael Leigh

Michael Leigh Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      The more you immerse yourself in researching about tinnitus and hyperacusis is the more you'll focus on these conditions and it won't do you much good long term. Read the posts in the links that I have previously sent you and if necessary, find a therapist that will help you and get along with your life. Reading reams of data written by people that know nothing about tinnitus or hyperacusis is a complete waste of time, because most have no experience living with these conditions or know how they affect a person's mental and emotional wellbeing.

3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      weab00
      Gloomy

weab00 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      some good mf music
      I am interested in the science behind the condition. Knowledge is power. I have read your links. I have a therapist.

• Agree Agree x 2
      • Like Like x 1
    4. Michael Leigh

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      You will learn nothing from science regarding tinnitus and hyperacusis and I assure you that you'll find this out in time. It is good that you have read my posts and now have a therapist. However, you haven't been paying attention.

This is to readers of this post: Once you find a Therapist that is able to help you with tinnitus and hyperacusis. Please keep away from tinnitus forums and not discuss your treatment in them or read up on the conditions. Get along with your life and accentuate the positive things in it, as this is the way forward. I have replied to the poster above just to show you the arrogance that this person has. After I gave him advice he replied with a humorous emote on one of my posts.

Michael

• Funny Funny x 1
      • Creative Creative x 1
    5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      weab00
      Gloomy

weab00 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      some good mf music
      I'm arrogant and negative for wanting to know more about the biological processes that define hyperacusis? Like neuronal hyperexcitability or inflamed type II afferent pain fibers? Please enlighten me, considering you're the one to immediately shut me down when I come with a desire to read papers (which do exist) about tinnitus/hyperacusis. Utter nonsense and I can see why many have lost respect for you. You are extremely condescending.

• Like Like x 3
    6. Adaś
      Caffeine

Adaś Member Podcast Patron Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Headphones, Stress, Rock concerts
      No you are not. It depends on one's character whether knowing more will bring you down or actually help with maintaining sanity. I am actually same as you, wanting to know more about this condition and I also believe that "Knowledge is power" even that often knowledge makes the world look more cruel and messed-up than it would look for someone that has no knowledge. Sometimes I miss the peace of mind I had when I was a kid, but despite of that I always choose to know more.

@Michael Leigh advise to stay away from trying to learn is actually very valid for many (if not the most) of the sufferers, because the more you study about these conditions, the more you realize how little we know. And this can make you depressed even more than you are already. But if you have a scientific mind it may be actually a motivation to do something about it and surprisingly keep your mind busy and de-focused from the noise in your head.

Tinnitus and hyperacusis are not well studied conditions, nevertheless there are quite many good publications about them trying to explain underlying cause and mechanism. Will Sedley who's on the recent Tinnitus Talk Podcast wrote few interesting ones. I have also small collection of things I found browsing this forum and Google Scholar, see attached txt file which is actually BibLaTeX .bib file.

There is also a group of people from this forum that tries to do help with tinnitus research, so if you want to join:

https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/become-a-tinnitus-talk-advocate.7694/

Attached Files:

7. Pitseleh

Pitseleh Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Michael,

As much as I appreciate all the dedication you put on this forum to help people take into consideration the impact that noise can have on an already bruised ear, I believe you're on the wrong track with the way you've been replying to the OP.

You're saying to get along with one's life, well the OP wants to learn more about tinnitus, that's his way to get along.
      I don't see any arrogance here :)

8. Michael Leigh

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      @Pitseleh

Thank you for your comments and kind words. I am replying to your post because you have been respectful. There is nothing wrong in acquiring knowledge about tinnitus or hyperacusis providing it is done the correct way. That is from people that have experience with these conditions and not from the sources the person in question seeks. As mentioned, the person in question is arrogant, rude and was disrespectful in the manner described on a previous post that I had written, and have nothing more to say on the matter.

The way forward with tinnitus and hyperacusis is to seek treatment if necessary and keep away from tinnitus forums and not to read too much about these conditions, because this often causes more harm than good, by reinforcing negative thinking that you have a problem. Veterans and those seasoned to tinnitus know this.

I wish you well.
      Michael

• Funny Funny x 2
    9. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      weab00
      Gloomy

weab00 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      some good mf music
      So since you will not address me directly, I will try asking again: what about any of this is arrogant or disrespectful? I thought it was disrespectful for you to tell me to get a therapist and move on when I have a genuine desire to learn more about its biology. I simply do not see how your initial reply is at all relevant to the thread. Am I disrespectful because I'm fed up with TRT-type advice?

• Agree Agree x 1
    10. serendipity1996
      No Mood

serendipity1996 Member Podcast Patron Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      2011 - T, 2016- H, relapsed 2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise-induced
      Hyperacusis Research - in particular, the 'Research News' section of their website where you can find in-depth conference summaries on hyperacusis. This resource is truly invaluable in understanding more about noxacusis.

https://hyperacusisresearch.org/category/research-news/

• Like Like x 2
      • Agree Agree x 1
    11. serendipity1996
      No Mood

serendipity1996 Member Podcast Patron Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      2011 - T, 2016- H, relapsed 2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise-induced
      So... if somebody suffers from a rare condition then they shouldn't educate themselves about it and leave themselves in the dark? What would you say to Bryan Pollard then - the founder of Hyperacusis Research who suffers from it himself and whose efforts have led to increased awareness, funding and breakthroughs in our understanding of hyperacusis?

• Agree Agree x 4
    12. Michael Leigh

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      @serendipity1996

You know exactly what I am talking about serendipity1996, so I suggest that you stop trying to be clever because you are better than this. I don't know who Brayan Pollard is and frankly I don't particularly care. Whatever research he does into hyperacusis, if it helps people that's a good thing and if it's on a philanthropic level as I and many in this forum do, that's even better. Somehow, I doubt this is the case but if I'm wrong I apologise.

He cannot teach me anything about tinnitus or hyperacusis and I'm referring to when these conditions are brought on by exposure to loud noise. I want it understood that I'm not claiming to know everything about noise induced tinnitus. I am here to help people something that I've previously said in this forum, and not to engage in long winded debates, or answer questions when the purpose is to lure me into an argument. However, if a subject interests me then I will participate for a while.

In my posts above I gave my reasons for commenting on this thread and I am finished with the matter.

Goodbye and I wish you well.
      Michael

• Funny Funny x 3
    13. Bartoli

Bartoli Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2009,worsened 2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      He really can.

• Agree Agree x 2
    14. Michael Leigh

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      With respect you have had tinnitus for a short while hyperacusis the same. I have had tinnitus for far longer. My hyperacusis was once very severe now completely cured and remained this way for over 20 years. You and a few others in this forum give a sentimental reverence to the likes of the person you refer to but I don't. I and others in this forum that have had noise induced tinnitus for many years, know it through and through. I look to them to gain further knowledge.

Gooday.
      Michael

• Funny Funny x 2
    15. Kriszti

Kriszti Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      2016/2017/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      With all due respect, I think nobody here questions or doubts that you have immense experience regarding both tinnitus and hyperacusis. I don't have even fragments of it.

But I don't understand why are you so against science and research and people who want to know more about why and how tinnitus and hyperacusis works scientifically?

Finding a cure or even finding a way to better the quality of life of the sufferers is not exclusive to either listening to people with practical experience and at the same time keeping up with research.

You say that researchers are people who know nothing about the conditions and listening to them is futile, but discouraging people who may be capable of joining the scientific discourse AND have the conditions themselves seems counterproductive and contradictory to me.

• Agree Agree x 1
    16. Michael Leigh

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      @Kriszti
      If you want to learn about Tinnitus or Hyperacusis, you will find here in this forum and others. People that live with them and have experience. This is how you learn....

• Funny Funny x 1
    17. Kriszti

Kriszti Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      2016/2017/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Personally I'm trying to learn from here and from research as well. But as the whole community I firmly believe that science and research is the way to go. If science is practiced by fellow sufferers, I think that's an added benefit. Experience and science, not only experience.

• Agree Agree x 3
    18. Michael Leigh

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      @Kriszti

I am not saying science and research into tinnitus and hyperacusis aren't helpful indeed they have their place. However, there are people that spend a lot of time reading copious amounts of data about these conditions only to repeat what they've read in tinnitus forums. Whilst it may look good even impressive to the casual onlooker, those that have experience with tinnitus and hyperacusis know differently.

Your approach is the right one wanting to put theory with the practical experience and I wish you well in your quest for knowledge.

Goodbye and I wish you well.
      Michael

19. lapidus

lapidus Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      https://hyperacusisfocus.org/
      https://hyperacusisresearch.org/
      These are very valuable sites and have links to a lot of important papers.

• Agree Agree x 3
    20. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      weab00
      Gloomy

weab00 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      some good mf music
      Don't bother trying to argue with him. Michael Leigh is obviously confident that no good can come of scientific research and that we should instead bathe ourselves in blissful ignorance as if it's the dark ages. Clearly a man who knows what he's talking about in comparison to researchers that dedicate their lives to the cochlea and brain.

• Agree Agree x 2
    21. Bartoli

Bartoli Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2009,worsened 2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      If I were anything like you, Michael, I'd probably take great offense in you patronising me, and would go on and threaten to ignore you. But I'm not so it's all right.

I feel stupid for even pointing this out, but I had tinnitus for over a decade. Not that I think this will make you validate my opinion any more, because I'm not sure anyone could have enough years under the belt to be worthy of your esteem.

You're quick to dismiss the groundbreaking work Bryan Pollard (you clearly didn't care to even look up his name so you could properly spell it) has done in putting the different forms of hyperacusis on the map. I think you're afraid Michael, afraid that somehow this man could have a clue which doesn't align with your views and could put your whole persona at risk and the countless articles you've written and like to refer to when given half the chance to do so.

Advocating TRT and not willing to have your views challenged... This actually reminds me of some other guy...

Bryan Pollard is a hyperacusis sufferer and an expert who dedicated his life to the study of hyperacusis. If you're not willing to at least keep an open mind to what he has to say, then I don't know who Michael Leigh does listen to. (Actually I think I do know).

I've seen it happen so many times on here, the same way over and over again. You mingle in a topic, only to have someone disagree and then all of a sudden it's about good manners and respect (and really, I very rarely see any true disrespect towards you even though you're easy to offend, which is somewhat surprising given the amount of nonsensical blabber you write).

That blabber wouldn't be so bad in itself if it were harmless, but the other day I had to bite my tongue when I saw you telling someone to stay away from HBOT, as if you have the slightest knowledge or experience on the matter.

I personally have done HBOT, but I'm not one to project my own experiences onto someone else, although I will be happy to talk about my own experience if asked to.
      For me, when giving that advice, your opinion is based on nothing, and is potentially harmful when someone could be in the window of recovery for HBOT to be effective (this is a very controversial topic I'm aware)

The difference between you and many people on the forum is that most keep an open mindset and discuss for the sake of getting closer to some sort of common truth. The absolute certainty with which you state some of your own opinions and believe that they should apply to everyone is very similar to the certainty that is displayed by anti-vaxxers, flat earthers, COVID-non believers etc...

I'm not writing this for you Michael, because you cannot be convinced and have one of the most rigid mindsets I've ever come across. I'm writing this because I feel I have to speak out against some of your opinions and not let myself be patronised.

I shan't be commenting further on the topic. 'ave a gooday.

• Agree Agree x 3
    22. Michael Leigh

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      @Bartoli

Thank goodness you won't be commenting further because I found your post quite an ordeal to wade through. Regarding writing Mr Bryan Pollard's name incorrectly. Yes, I hold my hands up for making such a terrible typing error, it's certainly not a crime. I visit quite a few forums not all relating to tinnitus and write a lot and thus get a little tired sometimes. I will try not to do so again. If it should happen I implore you to please try to overlook it.

You quoted my post I didn't quote yours. Please leave me alone then our paths never have to cross or better, place me on ignore as I previously requested, then you wont have to "cringe" when reading my posts, a remark you made towards me when you interfered some time ago - and now again: having to bite your tongue. If you interfere with me anymore I will place you on ignore as I've done with other troublemakers in this forum.

Goodbye
      Michael

• Funny Funny x 3
    23. Bartoli

Bartoli Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2009,worsened 2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      It just shows you didn't even care to look him up but are quick to dismiss what he's achieved. On what grounds?
      You don't HAVE to have an opinion, you know.
      Correct. I urged you to read some Bryan Pollard.
      This is classic Michael Leigh. Everyone who dares to contradict you is "interfering" and "a troublemaker"
      How dare I suggest you read up on Bryan Pollard!

• Like Like x 2
      • Agree Agree x 2
    24. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      weab00
      Gloomy

weab00 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      some good mf music
      I really do find it funny that he puts up a guise of positivity and becomes extremely passive-aggressive and condescending as soon as you disagree with him. He pretends to be everyone's professional armchair psychologist. And after I tell him I'm already in therapy, or ask what reactive tinnitus is if it isn't actually reactive tinnitus (which he never responds to), I get called disrespectful.

To him a troublemaker is anyone that disagrees with his doctrine or commits some form of wrongthink. He puts people that question him on ignore, spams his TRT links in every post, stops replying when he doesn't have an answer (only to continue touting the same misinformation in other threads), is a staunch activist against clinical research, etc.

In fact, he will be the first person to tell you that he has a superiority complex over how long he's had tinnitus. ("I've had tinnitus and hyperacusis for 20 years, there's nothing any researcher can tell me.")

I encourage anyone coming across this post to also check out the tantrum Mikey boy threw in this thread, where he was putting laughing reactions on someone's suicidal post:

https://www.tinnitustalk.com/thread...a-single-disease-with-universal-advice.38699/

• Agree Agree x 1
    25. ajc

ajc Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2002; spike 2009; worse 2017-18
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music - noise damage
      @Michael Leigh is a fucking joke.

Do you know the reason why he doesn't like tinnitus research and real treatments?

Because they will make him OBSOLETE. REDUNDANT.

He thrives to "help" people. A group of people find his "advice" valuable and tells him so. That boosts his ego.

Michael Leigh will be forgotten the moment there are real treatments.

And he is afraid of that.

• Like Like x 4
      • Funny Funny x 1
    26. Michael Leigh

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      I have to respond to @ajc as I can't contain my laughter any longer. The people on this thread are so easy to wind-up and can't actually believe you all think I'm serious...:p Sorry, It takes a lot more to get me rattled as we say on this side of the pond. Please carry on posting as I'm enjoying it... Great post ajc:D

Michael

27. Zugzug

Zugzug Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Autoimmune hyperacusis from Sjogren's Syndrome
      This again...

• Like Like x 6
      • Agree Agree x 1
    28. Bartoli

Bartoli Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2009,worsened 2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      Isn't there this theory that the longer a thread goes on, the higher the probability Michael Leigh weighs in?

• Good Question Good Question x 2
      • Funny Funny x 2
    29. twa
      Busy

twa Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      2017- mild /Sept. 2020-moderate
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      meds/acoustic trauma
      Let me know if you find a good resource on the auditory system as a whole. I write educational resources and I'd like to write one for children.

Thank you~
      twa